Yankee Stadium for NYCFC

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by napolisoccer, May 23, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But those teams never claimed they represented the city, especially before they ever played a game. Or sought to distinguish themselves from existing rivals because they are IN the city.

2. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See I have a problem with this statement. NYCFC obviously has made a marketing push to differentiate themselves as a City team. However, the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls all claim to represent the city by the use of the name of the city. They are all called the New York _____. It is incorrect to claim that those teams do not claim to represent the city and more importantly use the city as a marketing tool.

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it possible to organize a petition to play in NYC even in a temprary stadium and to send it to NYCFC ?

4. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    NYCFC's total marketing is based on being the team IN NYC, anything short of that would be a unmitigated disaster. I think most people would accept playing a few (3-5) home games outside NYC as long as a permanent stadium solution in had shovels in dirt.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Giants and Jets both started and played significant portions of their history in NYC. They both now play in Meadowlands because they couldn't get a NFL stadium built in the city limits. Giants in 76 and Jets in 86. They have enough bona fide connections to NYC to be able to wear the name.

Red Bulsl on the other hand, they have nothing to do with NY and never have any legitimate connections here. When Red Bull bought the team they gave it a NY name for sole purpose of marketing the brand image to america's most iconic city. (Even MetorStars never referred to them selves as NY) it was always NY/NJ and then just MetroStars.

6. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    All the NYCFC executives are on twitter if you need to contact them.. But wait until the voting is done, they probably got a few messages on a daily basis right now.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I still got my stolen scoreboard light bulb from Shea Stadium after the Jets last game there!

8. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well.. o_O

9. CornellBigRed

CornellBigRed Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Rye Brook, Westchester
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that the super-duper-NYC-connected Jack Bell does suffer from the tabloid-ian affliction of making shit up to stir up the pot and get attention.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does one say no way to an option and then say all options are on the table?

11. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Because it never was an option?.. :unsure:

12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One less thing for the Midol Brigade to chirp about. Not that that's really going to stop them.:whistling:

Not saying Westchester was never on the table, I just found it odd. Odd that he never did a follow up. Odd that he never mentioned anything in the Times until I raised the question in the comments section of an entirely different article and odd that nobody else picked up the story.

13. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh he might have heard about Westchester as he was the one mentioning it as a training campus for NYCFC, he might also have heard about building a temporary stadium and just assumed they where connected..

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't spend $100 million just to play in Westchester. I'm surprised this many people took it seriously in the first place.

15. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The interesting part of the tweet is that regarding the stadium, "all options remain open." To me that means "we haven't gotten any further on the Bronx site"

16. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    They where options about a temporary stadium I assume.. As that is the context of the tweet I mean

fuzzx repped this.
  17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  21. icedup57

icedup57 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Anyone else find the f.Cosmos fans in the comments hilariously pathetic?

"Vote is rigged!" "Anyone can vote, 100,000 votes isn't impressive!" "I voted for the weakest one"

Grow the ******** up.

Egbert Sousé and fuzzx repped this.
  22. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because a lot of f.Cosmos fans are a bitter, delusional lot.

Dante repped this.
  23. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They were sold a bill of goods with the Cosmos that will panned out to be basically the LI Rough Riders 2.

Couple that with the failure of the predictions that NYCFC would just be basically a reworked Man City badge (to be honest I made same prediction)

They are upset.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  24. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sir is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 100% spot on.

25. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    With their budget they will win NASL repeatedly. But lets be honest, is that any more relevant than the LI Ducks winning their independent league last year... As a minor league team (on LI) they've probably maxed out popularity wise. Most of their crowds (outside their opener) were in the 5-6K range (which is fantastic for lower league in states) but it's far below where I'm sure they thought they'd be (which is only about 1K more than the LIRRs drew in their heyday) .