Writing a Blanc cheque- The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 27, 2012.

1. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    whether on paper or not, every manager under RA has been on a 1-year contract

2. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I wouldn't blame him if he walked. That's a terrible deal. I wonder if it's just to tell fans: "Hey, we tried!"

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whats so wrong about that? The club is trying to protect itself and I am on board with them. RDM although has been great in cups, his league position hasn't been great. Yes, you could attribute that to shifting priorities but you cannot say RDM is THE man to take us forward. As with past instances with different managers, handing out long contracts and then not panning out, we end up giving up millions by firing them. If nothing, it is an indication that the TPTB have learnt their lesson.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why would he walk from the best job he'll most likely ever get? He's not a proven EPL manager and he would be managing one of the most highest profile clubs in the world. If he does well, then he will deserve a longer contract.

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but if you get canned, the contract on paper means you get a payout.

slipereypete repped this.
  6. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    not disputing that

7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The more I think about it, he'd be mad not to take the contract. He isn't going to get a better job, he could get an extension come Christmas if we are doing well. If he succeeds, he'll get a longer deal, if he doesn't, he'll land somewhere else in Europe.

slipereypete repped this.
  8. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A bad run of form isn't going to not make him marketable for say Lecce, or Bologna, or a side that just gets demoted in the PL. As things stand, Milan aren't knocking or any other top Italian side. Hell he could end up at Liverpool two years from now.

10. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Thought Lazio were interested if I recall something I read recently.

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sorry I meant to say to he'll still marketable to a side like Lecce or Bologna even with a bad run of form.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1 year deals are ok since most of our managers only make it between 5-8 months anyway.

Robdog repped this.
  13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    indeed

Robbie really has nothing to lose, neither does the club

makes sense for all parties

14. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Indeed too, albeit if Robbie already knows the feeling of the club & already has prepared for another then the reason will change. Tbh there won't be loss of suitors after CL win & if RDM is happy with only a FT job like say at Villa(a level below but a multiple year contract). What Robbie feels about his prospect is also going to be important in this one, as much as the Board decision.

15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's a win win for all parties involved. Chelsea get a manager that they are comfortable with, in a sense. Robbie gets one of the best jobs in the world, plus he gets to continue making a name for himself (as I misstated before, a poor run of form isn't going to shy away suitors, tactically he is absolutely brilliant, someone will take him in a heart beat, just won't be Milan or the like). Finally, the players get someone they are comfortable with. Lamps isn't an idiot. He won't tell you, but he knows he's on the backside of the hill.

But Robbie understands the dressing room, allows the veterans to lead. He lets them know there is still a place for them in this squad. But Robbie more than anyone knows that there needs to be a balance. No manager that we've had since Ranieri has allowed the likes of the youth to give it a go as RDM did with Bertrand. I know it was only about 12 matches for the season, but Bertrand started his first ever European match and it was the final. The youth are here, problem is, no other manager was willing to give these lads a shot. What the hell did Robbie care, he's the fecking interim manager.

That final sentence is really what sets him apart from anyone else. He didn't have anything to lose, everyone else had a job to lose, Robbie had a job to gain.

Robdog repped this.
  16. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Nando talking like RDM will be the dude...

17. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...rdiola-open-to-job-offers-this-summer?cc=4716

Outgoing Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola has given Liverpool and Chelsea hope by confirming he is open to approaches this summer.
    [​IMG]
    GettyImagesPep Guardiola
    Guardiola will step down as Barcelona chief at the end of the season, and it was expected he would stay out of the game for at least a season in order to rest.
    However, the Spanish boss, a reported target for the Anfield and Stamford Bridge clubs, has revealed he would be willing to return to football sooner than had been anticipated.
    "For the next month I have to charge my batteries," he said. "I will rest and I will wait. I will be ready, if one club wants me, if they seduce me, I will train again."
    Guardiola won three successive La Liga titles at Camp Nou, lifting the Champions League trophy in 2009 and 2011, as well as subsequently winning the FIFA Club World Cup on two occasions.
    He revealed last month that he was to leave Barcelona, citing the stress-inducing pressures of the top job at one of the world's leading clubs. Assistant Tito Vilanova will take over from him next season.
    Champions League winners Chelsea are expected to have a better chance than Liverpool of enticing Guardiola, with owner Roman Abramovich reportedly an admirer.
    The Reds, who are in talks with Wigan manager Roberto Martinez, are likely to be keeping a keen eye on the situation, however.

18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Let's go get Pep so we can kick the ball from side to side and claim it's an injustice to the beautiful game when we lose. Sounds great.

zizou555 repped this.
  19. couris

couris Red Card

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes Pep please.

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not opposed, but skeptical.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    No thanks. I'll stick with RDM who bleeds blue.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Can someone please tell me the following:
    How many clean sheets we kept under RDM?
    How many late goals (75min +) we allowed under RDM?
    How many opposition shots on goal?

Is there a way to find this out? I find a cool stats site and then fail to bookmark it. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Pep might be a good coach, but I don't want him to learn how to manage somewhere other than Barcelona at our club. I strongly suspect his first managerial job will be a disaster.

25. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Once again, this is exactly what I think. Pep is a great manager for Barcelona, and indeed could succeed anywhere in Spain IMO. But Chelsea is not the place for him right now.