Writing a Blanc cheque- The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
  2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
  3. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If RDM wins the Double AND nabs 4th just for fun, there WILL be a riot if he isn't kept. Only getting Jose again would put out the fire, imo.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    those are big ifs

and quite honestly if RDM wins that Cup Double then I would believe that even the mighty Jose would not replace him

lets just wait and see- no need to rush or panic the Cup Final dates are set and are not going anywhere

5. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Agree with this. I wonder if we'll wait until after the Euros to see who the flavor of the month is. By then it may be too late in terms of making personnel decisions. When AVB was installed, there was little time to do anything.

6. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Which is another good reason to just stick with RDM

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I suspect a decision will be made almost immeidately after the CL- ala Grant.

8. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    lobomojo repped this.
  9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  10. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Love the knobs in the comments taking a quote completely out of context. I think Mikel meant that the players never knew if they were going to be selected. If you are not in the team for the weekend, then you need to train harder to keep your fitness levels up. If you are in the team, you probably shouldn't be going 110% in every second of every training session.

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think that is exactly what Mikel was saying and tbh it reflects poorly on AVB who labelled himself the "Group One". I think it is pretty clear his "motivational" mind games were not working among many other things.

12. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    McLeish is now available.

Ha.

13. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    As is Avram Grant.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is there really anyone out there that is that special?

It makes more sense me, to just sign RDM to a one year deal and reassess after next season. There are only two managers that I would want, and one of them I am nervous about and that is Guardiola. I'm not sure the beautiful game has a place in the BPL, but it might be worth a try. The other is JM. If not either of those two, just stick one guy and attempt to let it work out. Our issues have more to do with our open door policy at the gaffer spot than anything else.

mshankb repped this.
  15. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Initially when Robby took the reins I was hesitant with him being our manager this season mainly because of all the draws we've been getting under him which hurt our campaign.

But what I love about him is his ability to MANAGE, both as a man manager and his tactical nous. So far he hasnt stuck to one system, were constantly changing and we play different in every big game.

This coupled with Roman rubles and his team selection for next season.... SOLD!

Other than him, guus who is getting older, and Jose who IMHO won't come back are the only 2 viable options.

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It makes more sense to sign him to a one year contract and decide after next season.

We didn't have a great league run under RDM, but it was also coupled with our late season surge with the FA Cup and the Champions League. Our poor form over Christmas is what set us back. I'm not sure how we get much better next year, but I think RDM has just a good shot to get us there.

17. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    the problem with the one year contract is that is all the media would focus on

they are already crying out for Robbie to be appointed on a long term deal and I fear that another season on a short term deal would lead to further distraction

of course this only applies if Robbie is willing to accept a one year deal and quite honestly I dont know why he would

18. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Grant was handed a 4-year contract. 60-year-old Scolari was given a massive 3-year deal. Ancelotti was also a 3-year appointment on huge wages. AVB had a 3-year contract to go with the huge buyout from Porto.

If Di Matteo is willing (and I don't see why he wouldn't be), then I'd love to see him extended for two years. That provides enough security so it won't be an issue/distraction in 2012/13.

Even if RDM were to enter next season with "Champions League winner" on his CV, I couldn't see him demanding the type of salary that our previous managers have been on. If he impresses next season then it would be time to explore a long-term deal.

19. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia
    Apparently reports from Italy are suggesting that Capello might be our next manager.
    If true, not sure what to think of it. (This line here is completely pointless)

20. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    But if we bring in a big name manager with a big contract, it's all the media will focus on. If we bring in a young upstart, it's all the media will focus on. If we bring back Jose, it's all the media will focus on. They'll find something. I'm not sure the perfect solution here. I doubt there is one. Grand expectations are good and terrible. We need someone to oversee a little bit of change and handle the spotlight at the same time. Oh, and win.

DiMatteo shouldn't accept a 1-year deal. He's already built up a decent reputation to secure a long term contract elsewhere.

21. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Stop making so much sense.

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wish they'd give the job to RDM. If the sticking point is length, than a two year deal seems to maoe the most sense. We aren't going to get out of our situation easily and I'd prefer someone who had the squads backing. Under RDM we had every opportunity to finish top 4 and we didn't, however, as he stated our fall from grace was really over the Christmas period.

I wouldnt be opposed to Capello, but I'm not jumping up and down with excitement at the prospect.

23. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I doubt the sticking point is length. RDM simply isn't "name" enough for Roman. AVB wasn't really a name, but he was one of the hottest properties around. I hope we don't wait until after the Euros for this.

24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm afraid we may have to wait. Which makes me want Robbie to be the guy.