Writing a Blanc cheque- The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Amazing...both times we make the final it is with a manager that has so little experience. First Grant and now Di Matteo...what are the odds.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    lets see how Robbie does during the Cup Finals

I wont discount the amazing job he has done since taking over, but it was not that long ago that the next Messiah arrived and was going to lead us to victory...

4. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Proper club legend guiding into the final, what more could you ask for? WBA were too small for Robbie-Eddie

5. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RDM definitely has more experience than the undertaker.

And I am liking the decision he makes, and the timing is usually right.

6. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I've been thinking the same thing. I'm really conflicted. He's done an amazing job, played to the current team's strengths, and is doing a proper team rotation, getting everyone involved.

No manager is really a sure thing; Jose might be the closest to that (SAF the other, but he's not available, obviously) but would Blanc or Pep be THAT much better than RDM? Hard to say. Can RDM only guide the club as it currently set? Or does he have the ability to take the club into the future with fresh signings?

7. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea has only lost 1 match with him in charge. Don't get me wrong, a lot has to do with the players wanting to prove something but he's the one picking the players to do so. If we win the finals..... he should be able to have the job full time if he wants it.

Pep and Blanc have ZERO experience in the prem and personally think they'll be fired before February

8. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    I meant close the thread in the "the king is dead, long live the king" kind of way

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

a wise and good line of thinking

I think the club have rushed into a few too many decisions regarding Managers and since RDM is still listed as our Interim Manager- I see no need to rush into another rash decision until after the results of both Cup Finals

10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree, I'd take Di Matteo (y'all the man has a name FFS:)), over Blanc or Pep (of course I'd take a flea ridden ferret over Pep but no sense to rush the decision). Lets evaluate after the season see how he does in the Cups Final pressure and how he manages the end of the League campaign.

I have no complaints, really, on how he has run the Cups obviously would be hard to find any fault but I still have some reservations on the League run, no doubt he started in a huge hole, but I think we left some opportunity on the sidelines by a too cautious hope to nick a goal and preserve a point approach. At this point for the last few weeks a draw is more feel-good but not much better than a loss is getting 4th. Though perhaps starting at scratch in a fresh season that may work better in keeping us consistently in the League hunt and/or with better attackers added perhaps he would approach it differently. The other concern as you say is what is his vision for rebuilding and transfers in/out, just a bit unknown.

On the other hand, other than Jose, which I just don't see, we have near run out of good experienced pedigree sure choices:rolleyes: and many of them have not worked out anyway. I near always rant on about getting a coach experienced in OUR League except last summer and :eek: disaster, lessons learned, so though perhaps he would not have been my first choice amongst English game managers if he was not in place and doing well, at this point he would be the least risky of that group, provided he wins a Cup and or 4th.. Plus being Italian he is more used to the dual structure we are doing.

Better yet, Di Matteo wins the double, and there really is no other choice for us or Roman.

11. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    I assume this is probably a moot topic but this point, but was the Blanc interest a real thing or just media speculation?

If it was a real thing, that's concerning. What makes anyone think that Blanc would be a good manager for Blues? His sole accomplishment is winning Ligue 1 in the power vacuum immediately after Olympique Lyonnais got tired of winning it like 14 times in a row. It's not like he's lit the world on fire with the National team (and no, winning the euro qualifying group in which the second best team is Bosnia isn't that impressive).

And if this isn't good enough, he might be a racist, to boot!

12. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose is top choice for me, but may be out of the question.

If Di Matteo wins the Double, he should stay.
    If Di Matteo wins the CL, he should stay.
    If Di Matteo wins the FA Cup, it gets a bit iffy, but I'm fine with him staying.
    If Di Matteo gets us 4th + FA Cup, I'd be happy to have him back.

There are more variables. I want the Double. I'm greedy now. :) So in that regard, I'd hope he is kept on.

No to Pep. He needed Messi to accomplish what he did. But above all, I'd love to see Jose return.

Time will tell.

13. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No to everyone. Keep RDM.

Embarrassing if he isn't given the job. Spend the cash on players.

14. kmk108

kmk108 Member

Nov 13, 2011
    The 913
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My vote goes for keeping Di Matteo on as permanent manager. He has a genuine passion for this club, something other managers don't have. The team genuinely believes in themselves and Di Matteo with him in charge.

The only thing I have no idea about is his ability to sustain success. We've seen what he can do given the players on the squad, but can he run things in the background for an extended period of time? If he can, I can't see anyone better than Di Matteo. Chelsea doesn't need a rockstar manager. They need a manager who isn't just in it for the paycheck and actually loves the club he is managing.

15. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This.

16. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
  17. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    as i said before. the list for me is

1. Jose
    2. Di Matteo

that's it. simple. i guess not AS simple as that though. Di Matteo probably moves to 1 if he gets the CL or FA cup and fourth place.

i thought Di Matteo got a rough reaction at West Brom and should have been given more time there anyway. had the team playing some good stuff. also, i've always thought he handles himself very well in press conferences. you don't get the sense he's out of his depth at all.

18. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Unfortunately, Roman has a penchant for bringing "names" to the club, rather than letting people make names for themselves. In RDM, there's the chance to build something special, organically. Hire a foreign name, and you get unrest, questions, doubts, and starting from square 1.

Yes, Di Matteo could solve all that by winning a double. That would truly force Roman's hand. I think that most fans would want RDM installed right now before he wins any trophies. Even more interesting - these 2 cup finals are definitely winnable.

Would love to know what AVB is thinking right now. Strange no one has tried to interview him, unless he (or more likely, Chelsea) has refused.

19. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    I'm sure AVBs settlement has a clause prohibiting him from talking about what happened at Chelsea.

Even accounting for Roman wanting to bring a big name, I still don't understand Laurent Blanc. THAT'S a big name?

20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think it was more paper talk than anything; pep is what scares me, the near last person on earth I'd want representing Chelsea, not to mention he and his 12 man greatest in the history of all of all, cheating, whinging, diving sides have not managed a win over our string of managers and often shorthanded sides plus don't think his way would work in the faster paced more rugged deeper bottom half Premier League, especially since here he would never instead of always have a 12th man on his side

21. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Not concerned about this in the slightest. I think he's completely genuine when he says he's stepping away from the game for a year.

22. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I do think you are right about that, but billionaires can be quite persuasive when they really really want something;)

I am just hoping we win The Double, stay unbeaten then little choice left, really, even Billionaires hate riots by all their customers :D

23. ChicagoDmitry

ChicagoDmitry Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    But Roman's fondness for Pep does highlight a pretty disturbing quality - which is that he cares about the "name" more than about somewhat important things like, oh I don't know, if the coach would actually be a good fit or successful at his job.

I like Roman, but there are several times each season that reveal that he likely doesn't understand how football works beyond a very superficial level, yet tries to get involved in football operations at a level that requires much deeper understanding.

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  25. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States