Writing a Blanc cheque- The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 27, 2012.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    credit to BlueRebelZ

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Dhajj repped this.
  3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blanc is notoriously lazy as a manager.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    he should fit in well with some of our players then...

:p

6. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Claudio Ranieri should be hired as chief scout. Always liked Claudio and he'd be great in that role as chief scout - he knows players and he knows different leagues. As a manager there are issues - but as a scout - he has talent. He is a very nice bloke as well. An evil-thunderbird puppet no more. . .

7. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Who has he scouted in the past?

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Supah Frankie Lampard for one, Robben, Cech

9. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    I'm talking about diamonds in the rough, not players multiple clubs were after.

10. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The core of the Chelsea team which won two Premier League titles under Mourinho, including John Terry, Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Gallas, Makalele and Frank Lampard were all brought to Chelsea or nurtured by Ranieri.

He has an eye for picking players and for nurturing talent.

Not sure multiple top-level clubs were after Frank Lampard to be honest.

Claudio Ranieri has talent imho.

11. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  13. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
  14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. scabdirisaq

scabdirisaq Member

Jun 24, 2007
    BK Park
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Somalia
    This would have been a disaster had it happened. you do these sort of stuff in 3-4 seasons... replacing each area slowly... didn't we learn our lesson already, remember the "bad moment" in Carlo's reign which was the result of too many first team players being sold at once without true and tested replacements.

17. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Change management – for sure – it is a necessity and it has been for a while at Chelsea. WE are in need of some change. Change imho should be constant and gradual. Always bringing in new coaches, new players, new ideas, etc and always letting some of the old guard go– some but not all. Balance. There have been some huge errors made at Chelsea recently and some huge errors made by the media – Lampard and Cole are finished, over, no good anymore, etc. The reality is some of our older players are very fit, very professional, still quick footed and still have plenty to offer to the squad – if not the first team. Some others – Malouda – should have left a while ago. Been replaced by a quick winger. We all knew this – we have all been saying it for some time.

I wonder what the argument is between Cole and Malouda is.

I am just not buying too much into player power to be honest. I think AVB at 34 was just a little short in the life experience as opposed to Di Matteo 41. Those seven years are a big divide imho. Also having been a player has to help Di Matteo – sure Jose wasn’t a player – but then he was Jose.
    <!--EndFragment--> <!--EndFragment-->

18. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i agree the change needs to be gradual, and have been making that claim for the past 3 seasons if not more. but we're also getting to a breaking point. we're going to have to catch up a bit with some of the changes that should have been made over the last couple of seasons. i'm not saying a total clear out, but more than just a couple of players here and there. fact is, we should have been lining up a lot of these changes before this point.

it's all made that much more painful at this particular time too. with the fair play rules coming into affect, we should have maybe done more to prepare. now we're sitting in 5th, without really having the same options that we did before to get ourselves out of this rut. man city's huge spending came JUST in time to now forever seal their fate as a big player (maybe) while we're faltering at the exact wrong time considering the implementation of these new rules. if we don't recover quickly, it COULD be a slippery slope if we're not careful. no one here wants to see that, but unfortunately it looks like the club have really put themselves in a bad spot. needing desperately to make some big changes in a time when the possibilities of doing so are much decreased.

now this all may be exaggerated, but i think everyone can see the point i'm trying to make. the timing of everything is NOT on our side. who knows, getting 5th or 4th this season could be the most defining thing that could happen to the club for the next 3 years (or more?).

that being said, its not all doom and gloom, if we do spend the next year out of the CL, one would have to think that arsenal and totts are at least beatABLE to get back in the CL. but we might have to do it without the players that we all want to bring in this summer. we still have some pull, but without CL, it WILL be harder. the real threat is if our direct rivals manage to strengthen considerably this summer and we can't quite keep up.

apologies for the doom and gloom, wasn't really supposed to start that way. i'll shut up now. it's my birthday, so i should be much happier right now.

carefree.

20. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Mourinho, who was really the last manager to leave any kind of true stamp on the club, brought in a ton of fresh first team faces (Tiago, Essien, Kezman, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreira, Robben, Cech) and got rid of a ton of players (Babayaro, Zenden, Crespo, Cole, Grankjaer, Hasselbaink, Desailly, Petit, Melchiot, Bogarde, Veron) for his first year, so I don't think it needs to be gradual. It needs to be *total*; i.e. - replace the players you get rid of, as someone mentioned above.

AVB wanted to do the same exact thing, but I just don't think he was up to it for whatever reason.

Edit: Sorry, Essien came in for Jose' 2nd season and many of cleared out players were sent on loan. Still, my point is the same.

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cech and Robben were not Mourinho signings IIRC, and the Essien sgning came a year after Tiago and meant the end of Tiago, so for me, that one cancels itself out.

Roman was also willing to basically spend any sum possible to shape the club then and raise our profile

22. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    Along with being willing, he was also able. With FFP coming into play now, you can't just spend any sum of money, so the buys will have to be considered and shrewd along with being balanced out with sales.

23. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    My point was more that it is, in fact, possible to change a club very quickly if everyone is on board. Though you have to be prepared for the consequences 8 years down the road as we are experiencing now.

24. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then there's this: