WPS Legal Updates

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CCSoccerFan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just read the permanent suspension part after I posted the above.

Well, ...and that's, that.

2. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Well, except that 4 or 5 of the 6 teams from 2011 continue to exist . . . if you're the NASL, that's a success story . . .

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe not quite that many:
    Boston Breakers and WNY Flash still around from the 2011 WPS and playing in WPSL-Elite.
    Philadelphia Independence players and coach reconstituted as New York Fury of WPSL-Elite.
    Chicago Red Stars from 2010 WPS now playing in WPSL-Elite.
    MagicJack, Beat, and Independence ownership MIA.

4. Buffaloindoorfan

Buffaloindoorfan New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Not sure why we have to attempt to disparage another league that's just trying to make soccer succeed here, but the new NASL started it's first season last year with 8 teams. In the off-season, one of those teams made the move to Major League Soccer (MLS) and was replaced by a new team in San Antonio, Texas. This new team has been an unqualifed success thus far, having had well over a year to promote itself before playing it's first game.

I am a fan of soccer, regarless of gender. I have watched WNY Flash games every year, back when they were playing a high school and college (as the Buffalo Flash), and several games last year in Rochester. Disparaging remarks aside, the womens' leagues have had the unfortunate disadvantage for two years in a row (maybe really three) of instability. Instability caused a lack of promotion, which leads to less paying customers, which leads to further instability. For the sake of this sport lets just hope someone with very deep resources and passion comes along to bring it back to at least a midly successfull level. Otherwise, If a comparison must be made, I fear women's soccer in the US has really fallen to the levels of indoor soccer (in general, no league or team names needed as it's truely more accurate that way).

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be great, except it appears to be two, not four or five, and four or five would be one thing except they had six the year before and seven the year before that. You see where this is headed, right?

That would be the NASL...which has had 8 teams for two years? That NASL?

Man, you really have this thing about everybody else, don't you? You can't do math, you're not good with facts, you can't see trends, you can't look at tons of evidence, you believe strictly what you want to believe. You're a trip.

HatchGK repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even that would be fine if he hadn't been such a dick to people. And, you know, followed the same rules as everybody else and worked to change them, rather than just ignoring them when it suited him.

7. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Beau Dure posted the final settlement legal document. Its content is basically just: "1. The parties have resolved this action by mutual agreement. 2. Plaintiffs Freedom Soccer LLC and magicTalk Soccer Club, LLC hereby dismiss this action with prejudice, each party to bear its own fees and costs."

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the last page is missing. It basically said "Neener, neener."

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That page would've cost 10 cents more, so I left it alone.

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we'll ever see the settlement document.

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Doubt it. Confidential settlements tend to stay that way.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not, we'd better come up for a different name for them.

13. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great discussion about the WPS folding. Great to hear from an actual voice of somebody from within (Melissa Henderson). Reactions to WPS folding

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I also posted this on the "WPS suspends operations permanently" thread. With a comment.