News: WPS articles in new & old media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kool-aide, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “You’ve got to have some balance in the whole thing. Without some balance, the Atlantas of the world and probably the Phillys of the world just won’t be able to compete. When you’ve got a $1.8 (million) payroll compared to a $450 (thousand) payroll , eventually the gap will get bigger.”

Riley thinks Philadelphia would not have a problem with a cap set at around $450,000, “But I don’t know how on earth magicJack or Western New York will get under $450 (thousand).”

Riley said he would like to see a floor set as well as a cap. “It’s unfair for players playing for six grand and eight grand. The floor needs to start at two thousand a month at least.”

2K per month; April to August (5 months) say 6 if we play in September.

18 players X 2,000 X 6 months = 216,000 floor.

23 players X 2,000 X 6 = 276,000 floor.

I prefer the idea of the soft CAP.

Say tax for every $1.00 over 450,000.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Women's Soccer Making a Comeback?

4. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Riley predicts brighter future

5. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yeah, it looks good. one problem is the other owners just let their most dynamic team and most controversy owner go down the toilet. second, if they can't get a good deal on printing signs, how you think the current owners would pull this off. first, look at who is the captain of the ship.

Go Defunct Jacks!

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yesterday on Bleacher Report: WPS 2012 Preview
    Some highlights:
    Which would suck, but at least the league won't disappear before 2013 expansion can happen
    Wait, so the Midwest IS an option again? Quite jerking my chain!
    Interesting...

8. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    The biggest problem I have with that article is that the call the Flash World Champions. It annoys me enough in the NFL and MLB, but I deal with it since those are predominately US sports, but to call a US Club team world champions in soccer is going WAY too far. Until they win a Women's Club Championship like they have on the men's side, they can be called WPS champs and thats it. Soccer is an international sport not a US sport like the others.

OK rant over...

9. Big Soccer Girl 4

Big Soccer Girl 4 New Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    So, the WPS is worried about being sanctioned to keep soccer alive in the US; however, some teams have only signed on non American's! There are only five teams alive right now. I think we have enough good American girls to play soccer. What are we going to train the foreign players to compete against us in the Olympics and the next World Cup! Fans want to see home grown girls! I can't get excited about watching someone I have never heard of. How are we going to build are US Women's team if this league does not survive? Owners and coaches are missing the boat big time! If you have been to any of the games it is a lot of little girls looking up to these girls! Maybe they are from their home town, went to their same high school, played for the same club. If we eliminate this possibility by only chosing girls from outside the country, the girls will lose hope!

Wake up WPS - let's build some teams with some great American Athletes. Let Europe build some teams of their own and let's play some international tournaments!

10. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Is it even noteworthy when SA dumps on women's soccer? This league is coming off the best stretch of its history - it's unconscionable that SocFed would do anything to make WPS less sustainable (like artificially create uncertainty where there is none). When SA expresses doubts about the league with NO information at all, I mean, you're a reporter - why don't you call the owners and FIND OUT about their commitment? SA, where misogynist meets lazy. This is one of those moments where I wish I could re-cancel my subscription.

11. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009
  12. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States