News: WPS articles in new & old media

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kool-aide, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we've tried a WPS news thread and it never really worked out that well. But let's try again :)

Is WPS popping up in non-sport blogs you read? How about your favorite soccer bloggers? Are local network affiliates or local newspapers putting up WPS articles? FSC online articles?

Let's put the links here as we find them.

The Equalizer, Jeff Kassouf's baby always has good stuff. Today one of the correspondents even has audio from post-game interviews and pics from the mj-SBFC game.

Beau Dure's blog has good stuff -- I'm not sure if espnw will pick up any other articles on WPS from him but he did write for them during the WWC.

In the things I saw today in a non-sports blog category, one of the feministe contributors has started included WPS and women's soccer posts.

2. GaDawg

GaDawg New Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know whether this fit with attendance, WWC affect on WPS or somewhere else, so I'm posting here. But this is a great Q&A from the soccer blogger on Philly.com (website for the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News) with both Paul Riley and Independence owner David Halstead. It talks about the Independence decision to play at PPL Park, expansion (Riley sees 10 teams next season), whether the league will survive for a fourth year, capitalizing on WWC, Borislow's future in the league and expanding the fan base by marketing/selling tickets to adults/men. Great read IMO.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/More-on-the-Independence-playing-at-PPL-Park.html

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A nice SI article about the WPS postseason, with some nice highlights for Press, Boquette, and Chalupny. Also analysis of PHI/WNY, NJ, and BOS. Oh, it sounds like Jenni Branam's retiring at the end of the season, too.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPNW piece by Beau Dure. For everyone who always posts about wanting more ESPN coverage. Give this page many views and you might get more WPS coverage.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Morgan was on local radio FM 95.1 The Fox this morning promoting WNY Flash's Sunday game. She was on an hour. Summary and photos are here:

http://www.wease.com/pages/Random.html

(scroll down the web page)

Anyone who knows Brother Wease knows the conversation ran the gamut - from soccer to dating to trying to get her Dad on mic, and to her 'Thirteen" tattoo.

13. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    Coachjon, sorry, I didn't see your post on Alex Morgan. I created a new thread with just the audio feeds.

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rampage. No problem. Afterward I was thinking my post belonged better in the Bambi-eyed killer thread...............

A couple of things to note. Due to I Heart Radio, Alex got calls from Maine and NJ to this 'local' show in Rochester.

The Maine call was a new women's soccer fan - a woman whose husband convinced her to watch the WC on TV - because of that they have been to two games in Boston this year - the kind of new fans WPS needs. Aside from the host, Wease, you could tell the other two guys in the room were new converts to watching the women's game.

Moving forward one fan at a time!

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  17. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club: