Wow Results/Upsets 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hykos1045, Aug 18, 2012.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A10champs Semifinal:
    #3 Virginia Commonwealth 1 (3)
    #2 Dayton 1 (0)

Dayton missed a PK and had two others saved by VCU keeper in the best of five PK's.
    It was the second 1-1 tie between these two clubs in 6 days!

2. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Loyola Maryland (3-seed) hangs on against Marist (1-seed) 2-1 to take MAAC tourney.

3. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Utah State over #19 Denver. Didn't see that one coming.

4. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hofstra wins CAA as a 5 seed
    Stony Brook wins America East as a 6 seed

5. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    And Georgia Southern tops them both by winning the SoCon as an 8 seed. Crazy.

6. SlyFox11

SlyFox11 Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Utah State won the game on an own-goal - A Denver player knocked the ball in accidentally in a game where Denver was the better team. Hope this doesn't keep DU out of the NCAA tourney.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver is at #34 in the ARPI as of right now and probably won't move from there. At #34, it should be safe with an at large position and should not even have to go through the "bubble" competition.

hykos1045 repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oakland beating Ohio State on PKs must be one of the upsets of the year.

9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Yup, watched the game, Ohio State had like 26 shots to 5. The Oakland keeper played very well, but in PK time, she was cheating to make 3 saves. She picked a side and jumped to that side before the player kicked. If someone told the kickers to stutter step, they could of picked that keeper off easy.

10. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    The committee might have decided some matchups to be on the cheap but the first round games where there was either an upset, OT or PK win is impressive. (Portland/WSU, Oakland/OSU, Michigan/Central Michigan, Kentucky/UT Martin, UCF/Miami, Princeton/WVU...maybe more to come tonight)
    I like to think that we are seeing at least some parity and it is refreshing to have so many close games in the opening round!

11. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Adding Illini and Mizzou in a shootout. Not too surprising to me but I believe Mizzou was the favorite by quite a bit?

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Illinois has the better goalkeeper, so that would be an advantage for Illinois over Missouri in penalty kicks. We'll see if the Illinois goalkeeper comes up big.

ref17 repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I can't tell you how many times I've seen players try the stutter step and screw it up. It upsets the keeper's timing, but it also screws up the shooter's timing.

Just look at the number of failures Kenny Cooper had as a timber trying it.

14. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Anyone know the North Texas/TTU score? Gametracker stopped at halftime. That matchup was pretty sweet for NT....

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Texas Tech 2-0 is the final

ref17 repped this.
  16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Tom Stone is the man.

ref17 repped this.
  17. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I am not the stats person but NT must have had a pretty weak RPI. IMHO they were lucky not to get Florida State like last year's Sunbelt winner.
    And yes, TTU has made huge strides with Tom Stone! I know a couple of kids who went there a few years back and they were thrilled that he has stayed as long as he has to bring this program to where it is.

18. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I am surprised Missouri has only one yellow card so far. That is the most shocking stat of the night

Illini win 3-0 in PKs. Goodbye to the dirtiest team in America.

19. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Texas State should have been sent to A&M and Stephen F. Austin should have been sent to Tech. Those two matchups didn't make any sense.