Wow Results/Upsets 2012

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hykos1045, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Texas A&M and UK end in a tie.
    On another note, Murray State got beat by SEMO 6-0 OUCH.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USC got two red cards and lost at Arizona State 5-4 in overtime. Three reds counting the coach. IMHO, the coach is usually correct about whatever they are complaining about that gets them tossed, don't know if that was the case in this one. The first red was a second yellow in just a few minutes at 89:11, the second was a straight red for "violent behavior" at 92:40

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/092812aaa.html

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    College soccer match of the year, bar none.

4. ZoroTheSlacker

ZoroTheSlacker A Sophomore Dad

Feb 12, 2012
    Sure they are. But they should be tossed. They lose the bigger picture (yes I ref). We have one Trojan MBA in our family and looking at sending another. This is bad pub for USC.

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The three coach red cards I have seen, and most of the ones I've heard about, have been a situation where the coach was attempting to protect his/her players from a mugging. With that, I agree with the coach. But if a coach is verbally abusive to the referee, questioning the species of the referee's mother or flinging f-bombs about or maintaining a non-stop loud protest, then yeah, out.

If God intended for humans to referee soccer, we would have 360 degree vision and the ability to hover 10-20 feet above the ground. I tried refereeing indoor soccer for 10-year-olds once, that didn't work. Thank you for being a referee.

Wish I could see a replay of the game.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume -- but certainly don't know -- that the red card was for saying a bad word. It's actually a mandatory red card, as I recall. You can imagine the percentage of times a red card actually is issued, so Ali must have really worked on it.

7. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    According to the broadcast today, the pac-12 rescinded Ali's red card down to yellow. Does anyone have any insight on that? On first glance it looks bad, as Ali was really giving the refs a go on Friday, after the two reds. But maybe there's more to the story.
    And why is a conference allowed to do that? Doesn't that really undermine the ref at the game?
    Am I reading too much into this?

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It depends on what the ref actually wrote down in his game report, which we won't get to see. A couple years ago Petrucelli got a red card at the end of the game and the next day it was a yellow. It turns out the ref wrote it up as a yellow when heads cooled.

There is no provision in the NCAA manual or the NCAA soccer rulebook for conferences to alter game reports. Any appeals must go to the NCAA rules office.

From the rule book ( page 6)

The official HS 24 hrs to send his report to the NCAA office.

9. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Actually it sounds like the ref had a temper tantrum. Maybe after he finished throwing the game and all his toys, he thought twice . . .

10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, USC was not credited with a goal in the first half that replays showed was in, this could affect a coach's disposition, then the referee starts dealing cards like a blackjack dealer, and coaches at this level are not meek, subdued people, and after a while the ref gets tired of hearing about it ...

I have GOT to get the Pac-12 network. Maybe if I stand on a corner with a sign that says NEED THE PAC-12 NETWORK, PLEASE HELP. Naw, all the corners in Boulder are occupied.

Is everybody else enjoying this sport and this forum as much as I am?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Looking at the box score, neither a red nor a yellow is listed for the coach, which ordinarily shows up as "team".
    from the ASU website:

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    If the ref clearly put a red card over his head, that "TM" card not being recorded in the box is sketchy... If it was on the Network then there is video and perhaps the "play by play" from the box may have showed it. Maybe the video was reviewed promptly and the conf folks agreed it was harsh. If so, I think lots of coaches would like that kind of cover...

BTW - not an upset but it was cool to walk into my corner subshop today and the Duke/UVA game is on in HD. UVA got an 87th minute winner. ESPNU national coverage = good

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    That may sound sketchy, but it has been done before. What sounds more sketchy is that the league altered the box score. It isn't part of the procedure for them to even see the filed red card report, according to the rule book.

Again, from the rule book:

You can find the electronic form on the site. Take a look at it. It is long enough to dissuade anyone from filing it. ;)

14. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I watched the game and the ref was not throwing the game. The reds to the players were earned. After the second player got a straight red (for holding a player then slapping her in the face) Ali was loud and berating the ref (enough to be heard on TV) for a good spell. The broadcast never showed the ref giving him a red, only him walking off the field and throwing his hat into a fence. So the ref could've theoretically tossed him without showing red? Which then got knocked back to yellow?
    I'm sure tempers were heated and both sides can argue their case, I'm more interested in the precedence this sets. I guess I wasn't aware that conferences could intervene and retract a ref's decision. That seems rather subjective yes? I know it can't be done for players' red cards, so it's just intriguing to me.

15. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Possibly Georgetown? 11-1-1 only loss to Stanford at Stanford. Georgetown is 5-0 in BE play with 2 8-0 wins in conference over Seton Hall and Pittsburgh. Also wins over Providence, Uconn, and Rutgers. Georgetown has not conceded a goal in BE play. Not sure why 7-3-2 and 2-2 in conference play Louisville is considered more of a contender than Georgetown.

16. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hoya, absolutely Georgetown now. You are replying to post I made over 3 weeks ago. Georgetown is a lock for the tournament at this point. Louisville is in trouble and Rutgers has no shot now. A lot can happen in 3 weeks. I don't know if the Big East will get more than 3 bids this year, unless someone runs the table.

17. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008
    haha oops. Did not check the time stamp. My bad.

18. catdaddy

catdaddy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Looks like OSU was able to pull a draw for this one. So in head to head OU comes out with a win and a draw.

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And OU had a PK in the first overtime that AD Franch blocked.

20. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMU 2, UCF 1!

21. DrGoat

DrGoat Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Big West Conference
    Cal Poly beats Long Beach State 4-3 in 2OT

That is going to hurt the 49ers RPI big time!

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're at #32 at the moment, pending completion of the last game today in Hawaii.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Full wins 1-0 off an end to end run for a score.

just before that a Hawaii player and the Fullerton player went up for the ball just in front of the net. the Hawaii player knocked over the keeper and probably earned her card, but the keeper kicked, then punched the Hawaii player with no call from the ref.

curious.

24. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    How about Rutgers looking to climb back into the Big East race with a 2-2 draw at Notre Dame?? Nice result for the Scarlet Knights!!

25. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first thing I thought of when I found out that VCU beat Fordham, 6-0, was WOW. Therefore, it is a WOW result.