Would you have called this?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by LawFiveTarHeel, Nov 24, 2012.

1. QuietCoach

QuietCoach Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Littleton, MA
    Would you call this? And what foul would you call? It stretches the limits of a shoulder to shoulder challenge, but maybe there is a kick, a charge, a push, or some holding in there. Does it matter who gets the ball, how they land, or who appears hurt?

The image nicely captures my feelings about foul recognition in fast-paced competitive play, or even aggressive youth soccer. What just happened? That was a great play, but should I whistle now? Which way do I point? Is it a penalty? No, wait, that's his teammate; it can't be a foul. What if he doesn't get up? Whoops, I took too long to think about it, guess we'll just keep playing.

- QC

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Image proves that from a picture, you can't possibly know what the right call is. I've had coaches send me pictures "look at this and the ref didn't call it". What you can see is a possible foul on everyone in the picture, or nothing

3. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the looks of things, I don't think I could call a foul on any of these players. They all put themselves in that situation. In the spur of the moment, whichever team gets the ball as a result of this, I would probably signal advantage so people think I saw something. I'm just not stopping play for it.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

I'd respectfully suggest you re-think that strategy. When you signal advantage, you are saying that you saw a foul, considered it non-trifling, and elected to let play continue because the victimized team would be better off if play continued. If you don't think there was a fould, I would suggest you stick to your guns rather than pretending there was a foul you played advantage on.

5. blueboy

blueboy Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Right. And you call every 6 second violation, every throw in violation, every violation in the box on a corner. Guessing you dont do many high level games. Uber anal, toilet trained at gunpoint refs give me a headache. They never get that little Law 18.

I ma out of this tread.

One is simply a trifling incident with no affect on the score. The keeper taking that many steps off his line to stop a likely goal DOES AFFECT the outcome of the game - one of our many responsibilities is to NOT do anything to affect the outcome of the game - therefore, its simple - retake the PK