Would Argentina have won the 1986 World Cup if Pele in place of Maradona?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jaweirdo, Aug 27, 2013.

?

Does Argentina win the 86' world cup win with a prime Pele in place of Maradona?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2014.
  1. yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. no

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Rivaldo??? 2th place in 1998, 1th place in 2002, FIFA WC All Star Team 1998 and 2002, 8 goals.

Pipiolo and Once repped this.
  2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't think that list has anything to do with World Soccer. It's from a different publisher, there's no link on the WS website, WS don't ever do special editions etc. As far as I can see it is completely separate.

3. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Really?If this is confirmed, sorry for the wrong information. Brazilian press treated this magazine as a special edition of World Soccer. It´s a english publication for sure (and that explains Henry place, for instance). At this link you can see brazilian journalists commenting about the magazine.
    http://sportv.globo.com/site/progra...gio-e-muller-frente-de-romario-e-ronaldo.html

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Awful list, did the include Oleg Salenko and leave out everyone else? :rolleyes:

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It looks American to me, has a price in dollars on the front and the rest of the site had magazines with an American theme. Not sure any English magazine would include Donovan.

It does have a similar cover style to WS though.

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't think it is anything to do with World Soccer either. I have a subscription to it and certainly haven't received a special edition.

The only time they (WS) get close to special editions is when they do their World Cup special.

7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Occasionally the same publishers would do previews for the Premier League and they always stated on the front "From the makers of World Soccer", but yes, they've never done a real special edition in the way that Placar do.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The 'Robins' maybe do not get a fair share of honour.

Fontaine is included but Kopa isn't (and Kopa was actually 'Batman'). Without Kopa's brain and assists, there is not Fontaine.

Puskas is included but Kocsic isn't. In fact, no other Hungarian isn't.

Cruijff is included, but no other Dutchie.

Sure, Muller and Beckenbauer are two big names in the history of football but Overath wasn't just a role player (according to OPTA the creator of the most goalscoring opportunities).

Ronaldo included, and Cafu too, but no Rivaldo

Platini included but no other 80s French player (Giresse?)

Romario but not his partner Bebeto

Lato is in but no Deyna/Boniek?

I know there are only 50 spots available but the major exception seems to be Pelé who has Garrincha, Jairzinho and Didi as buddies in the top ~30 (Didi on place 31)

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    there you go ... if the list extended to 100 or 150 ... maybe those names will appear?

it's funny to see
    Mathauss WHO? in #10? he had NO talent to be near any TOP40 and now 10??? GOsh
    Cafu in 16? while Didi 31, Cubillas 39
    Muller, Ronaldo, Romario and Baggio are ALL high (for their WC rating only I think)

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Btw, Giresse is often also undeservedly forgotten and underrated for the 1982WC performance, in lists like this. In absence of a healthy Platini he was France their best player and absolutely fantastic in some games. Ppl talk about Zico and Falcao (as individual stars) but Giresse was up there with the best players/midfielders in my opinion. Very nice variety in his moves and game.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I aree that Giresse was often under rated (by the shadow of Platini for France) and he was playing in same era with other greats like Zico, Falcao Socrates ... as among the greatest AM/MF in history.

At WC82 alone, Giresse was the best French player and was just a bit below Falcao Zico and at least on par with Socrates ///

My WC82 best performers by ORDER in POSITION

FW: Rossi, Rummenigge, Boniek
    MF: Falcao Zico Giresse Littbarski (Socrates Platini )
    DF: Collovati, Gentile, Luizinho, Scirea Junior
    GK D Zoff, Shilton, Schumacher

14. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maxime Bossis should probably be here IMHO.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    very good call ... if not that Gentile marked well Maradona, and then Zico , Bossis should be there on the right back
    Junior was so good on the left (except the mistake in first half vs Italy)

So in general

---------------- Rossi -----------------------
    --Littbarski- --- Zico ------ Rummenigge--
    --------- Falcao ------- Giresse --------------
    Junior ----------------------------Gentile/Bossis
    -------- Collovati ---- Luizinho/Scirea---------
    ----------------- Zoff/shilton -------------------

Subs
    Boniek, Platini Socrates Conti Passarella Cabrini Bergomi Leandro

WC82 was all about great DF and great MF

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    "Gazzetta dello Sport" had in June 1986 a poll among (former) coaches and players whether Maradona or Pelé was the greater player. Funnily, the votes ended exactly 50% vs 50%.
    Among the many consulted people; Rivera, Santana and Menotti said Pelé, but others like Bobby Robson said Maradona.
    Some also refused to give their opinion (including Cruijff, I think).

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Is it a WC context or general? and how many samples *names taken?

18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ESPN's excellent "30 for 30" series continues today with a look at Diego Maradona's performance in WC86:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=maradona86

In the 1986 World Cup, Diego Maradona, the world's greatest football player, reached his apotheosis, redefining what is possible for one man to accomplish on a football pitch. His ability to take control of the ball -- the game -- an entire tournament -- split the world in two.

A channel for a mostly American audience they may do features on others soccer players later, first and foremost they correctly decided on Maradona.

@Once @greatstriker11 @Bruford @celito @Vegan10 @giles varley @leadleader @Edhardy @SirWellingtonSilva @msioux75

Vegan10 and Jaweirdo repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Pelé said before 1986 World Cup in 'World Soccer' that Platini was the number one player in the world.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/michel-platini-one-one

@Pipiolo

;):ROFLMAO:

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't tag you in my post for you to immediately comment on my post :rolleyes:

So in short: Platini considers himself the best, ESPN considers Maradona the best. Keep hating.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    ESPN tells what the majority (of US soccer fans) wants to hear. Keep dreaming ;)

(just joking)

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Platini was like Romario who SELF-proclaimed as the best player ... (he must thanks GOD that Zico left SerieA too early )

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're wrong on both counts, actually. Then again, you're always wrong :coffee:

24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    self -proclaimed - and COUNTED by Pipiolo in BS forum LOL

at time, both Zico, Maradona was not qualified for Ballon Dor ... (Platini won it deservedly in 1984, but we were talking of 1985-86 season before the WC86

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Maradona considers himself the best, ESPN considers Pelé the best. Keep hating. ;)

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/277411.html
    http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Pele.html
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/3614?cc=5739

But maybe the coke and roids have eaten enormous holes in his mind. Who knows. :geek: ;)