Worst players who managed to stay at a big club for a period of time.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dr. Know, Mar 13, 2012.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Is 4 years enough to qualify for this? If so we have the winner here.

2. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    He's found his level as a utility player rather than a starter at rightback, but in that role Ferreira's been fine.

Honestly I think Kalou is the only Chelsea player deservedly mentioned in this thread, and even then there was enough promise in his first two seasons to suggest that he was worth persevering with. He obviously never really kicked on though. Eidur belongs nowhere near this list based on his Chelsea career, and players who were truly out of their depth were shipped out pretty quickly (Del Horno, Jarosik, Boulahrouz). SWP would be a decent shout, but he wasn't at the club that long either.

Pre-RA is obviously a different ball game in terms of the stature/competitiveness of the club.

3. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Real Madrid didn't press hard in all the games, just a few. Mourinho tried a lot of different approaches and players.
    Valdes won't get exposed when the other team is waiting on their own half...
    Pinto is worse than Valdes, what does that prove?

Is there any Valdes defender who is not?

1 - A Barcelona fan
    2 - A Messi fan who must defend Barcelona
    3 - Valdes himself or his parents

4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Nope you got me. :eek:

5. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    David May, once of Man Utd had the unerring ability to never play during the season, yet get his face in all the pictures whenever they had won a trophy.

And Valdes is a pretty good keeper, but he's no Brad Friedel or Peter Schmeichel.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Vicente del Bosque

7. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    NT coaches tend to have plenty of stuff in mind when choosing their 2nd and 3rd keepers.
    For example, Dunga liked freaking DONI because the player was loyal to him :rolleyes:

Maybe Aragones just wanted to keep the Barça clique happy, or maybe Valdes knows how to play the guitar or is good at telling jokes (although that's Reina's thing, right?) :D

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    For your reason, then I have to agree that Valdez was a "weakest link" for a while ... and thanks to Barca possession (>66%) that he was not tested properly by the opponents' shots and pressure!

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roque Junior wasn't at AC Milan for very long, just a couple of seasons but I remember him being quite a clumsy defender and they even nicknamed him the "Roque Horrow Show" @ Leeds. But what I find surprising is that he managed to get half a century of caps for Brazil between 1999-2005, winning the world cup and champions league along the way.

10. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Valdes is this eras Sebastiano Rossi.

11. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    It had a lot to do Ranieri not rating him. He'd scouted him while at Valencia and identified him as a week link in the Barca team.

But he flopped at three of them, and there's evidence to suggest he got the moves through being good mates with Reiziger and Kluivert. I think he benefited from being in the right place at the right time at Ajax, being screened by Rijkaard, Davids, De Boer and Ajax rarely losing the ball covered up his limitations. Then he dined out on it for the rest of his career.

12. gracezhang

gracezhang New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Abha
    i don't know....haha..

13. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Big clubs are United, barca, bayern munich, real madrid, juventus, ac milan, inter milan the rest arent big clubs

[]__[]

14. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Common misonception to say that, but the reality is that he responds every time when tested which is not as rare as you think, specially on set pieces which has been a weakness at Barca since forever.
    Actually since Barcelona plays with a high defensive line there are more direct one on one's with the keeper in long balls/fast paced counter attacks against them. A quick match that comes to mind is the Supercup last year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3y0n-JursY"]Victor Valdes vs Real Madrid (Totalbarca.com MOTM) - YouTube[/ame]

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Going to attempt an XI

------------------------Alan Smith
    ----------------------------------------------------Gronkjaer
    --------------Anderson--------C.Zanetti

Fereira-----------------------------------------------Neville
    --------------Silvestre---------Senderos
    -------------------------Valdes

someone help w/ a LW, SS/CF or AM/CM pls.

I'm thinking Gattusso has been rubbish the last several seasons but I'm wary of sticking him on that list because of his peak abilities.

16. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    How is Victor Valdés worse than Michael Rensing?

17. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Adriano, Recoba, Jordi Cruyff.

18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Oleguer instead of Neville at RB. Kalou for LW.

I'm no Neville fan but he's still a legend for a lot Manchester fans.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm a big Gary Neville fan. For a stretch, he was the best RB in the league and for a long time top 5 or 6 in the world. But, once he got injured and started to fade, the last 5 years or so at United were horrid. Absolutely horrid. For that period of time, he was a huge liability and one of the worst RBs in the world at a top club (when fit).

My revised XI with some help:

------------------------Alan Smith
    --------------------------Reycoba
    Kalou---------------------------------------------Gronkjaer
    --------------Anderson--------C.Zanetti

Fereira-----------------------------------------------Neville
    --------------Silvestre---------Senderos
    -------------------------Valdes

also, I don't mean the current Valdes, I mean the guy who was an average shot stopper with no composure for three seasons or so.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Good choice, Oleguer should make the TOP10

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I don't know if you consider Valencia a big club, if Arsenal is there why not, but Albelda could also be in there as a CM. He was amazing for a period of time just like you said of Neville but he's been average for a while now. Remember he got booted off the club then brought back and all that mess. He's been crap for a while and barely plays. It's a player being kept out of nostalgia just like Neville.

If you can justify Neville being there depite having a number of great seasons and being one of the best in his position Albelda should be mentioned.

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's bullshit johno. Including gaz, yet claiming gattuso doesn't make it due to his peak ability. Where is the consistency in that?

And it doesn't sound like you. I've seen you argue for gaz being the best perm rb for a period of 6 or 7 years before.

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Neville sucked for sure, but most rightbacks, except Cafu and Zanetti, sucked in his generation. Manchester United was blessed to have him.

Meanwhile, David James spent 7 years at Liverpool. Liverpool at his era still lingered onto the glorious days of the late 1980's. So it was a big club.

24. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    We'd be here all day listing Liverpool players since the 80's.

Lilian Thuram played in Neville's era and is one of the all time great right backs.

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This thread should be renamed "Great players who had poor spells in their careers".

I mean FFS. Neville? Gattuso?

They are two of the best players in their positions that their clubs have ever had. David Albelda would have a decent claim to be Valencia's best ever DM.

This thread sadly shows the abysmal historical knowledge of this forum. Resorting to picking only players of the last two decades.