Worst game in the History of the franchise??

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by the5timechamp, Dec 12, 2012.

1. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Worst as in the way it was played, or the one that brings back the worst memories..

For me its easy, its always been MLS cup '96 the inaugural championship game....

One of my favorite Galaxy squads. It was going perfect for 70+ minutes...It was rainy as all hell, the team had a nice lead and had been physically dominating the entire match (etcheverry looked frustrated as all hell, more so than usual)...and then it falls apart at the end..

To have been the first league champion would have been a great feather in the hat (hell even in the XFL the La team won the only title there). Beyond that the early years of success for DC created the perception that they were the premier franchise in the league (vomits)..

I dont think i will ever get over that loss, though 4 titles since doesn't hurt.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me personally, in order:

1. Last game of '03
    2. Last game of '96
    3. Last game of '01
    4. Last game of '09
    5. Last game of '99
    6. Last game of '98
    7. Last game of '10
    8. Last game of '00
    9. Last game of '97
    10.Last game of '04
    Tied for 11. Last games of '06, '07 and '08

Last games of '02, '05, '11 and '12 were pretty okay...

3. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me any game lost to chivas is a nightmare, But (96-09) are championship games that are the worst especially losing on a golden goal and cardiac arrest penalties. I feel disgusted just thinking about it :sick:.

4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last game of 2003.

How could it get any worse than giving up five unanswered goals to the smurfs?

Honorable Mention: a brutally boring 0-0 draw to Columbus in 2005.

At the end of the game, my eight year old nephew (attending his first MLS game) turned to me and asked, "Since neither team scored, does that mean they're both lousy?" Two days later Sigi was fired.

5. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    03 against SJ was bad but for some reason the 09 final is the worst for me personally. I felt devastated after. I think i gave up watching soccer for 3 months. I cant pinpoint why that one was so hard on me, but it just was.

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Yep '03 second leg against San Jose for me. It was a perfect storm of bitter rival, false hope and the ugliest collapse I’ve ever seen. '96 was a bummer, but without much history between teams there wasn’t quite the emotional investment.

7. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, it was also the worst for me, but then against I missed the majority of the Galaxy's seasons prior to the British Mothership landing in '07, probably because as a young kid my parents couldn't be bothered to drive all the way to the Rose Bowl from the South Bay to watch games after the hyped inaugural game.

Unlike you however, I can pinpoint the exact two reasons why I disliked this game so:

1. First time since I started rewatching that LA were in the final. With Beckham and LD. To come that close and see the team kicked out on penalties, was absolutely heartbreaking. Also, it cast doubts on whether this whole "DP" experiment would actually equal success on the field. It was a crucial turning point for LA and the league.

2. The result of the final defeated my attempts to get laid that day.

Imagine a UC campus somewhere in SoCal, circa 2009:

That was pretty much the last time I ever spoke with her again. :cool:

Lesson of the story? The following:

[​IMG]

8. PuroFAS

PuroFAS Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Huntington Beach
    This thread sucks as bad as those games listed.

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  9. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2009 MLS Cup Final.

I was/still live in Seattle and I went to the game live with all my Galaxy gear on. At the time I didn't know there was an away fans section but luckily I was able to sneak into it around half time, I was really worried before I was gonna be stuck around a bunch of Sounders haters all going for RSL. Anyway, the whole time hippie douche sounders fans kept coming by and yelling obsenities towards LA fans, in which one of them chased the little f*ck and got kicked out for it.

So it came down to penalties and I never felt so confident when LD stepped up and then we all know what happened. I was literally in tears after and couldn't leave my seat for a long time, long enough to see those RSL f*ks raise the cup. When leaving the stadium about 100 people kept coming up to me and saying LA is crap and we suck and this and that. Then some f*ck threw beer on me and I nearly tackled the guy but my friend pushed me away from him...

Oh yea, later that week I wrecked my car b/c a "wonderful" seattle driver decided to turn right on red when i was already in the intersection and my car was deemed totaled and I had to buy a new one. so yea...

10. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL :ROFLMAO:

11. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my family, no matter how much we love him, he will always be known as Landon Frickin Donovan after that final PK.

Hushx repped this.
  12. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it was these two Games...

The 6-2 Loss to FC Dallas in 2009 that ended with AJ getting injured and,...

The Last Game of 2010

I was probably the most mad I have ever been after watching those 2 games.
    What made both those games maddening for me was the way they celebrated every goal. I have never wanted to see Jeff Cunningham and David Ferreira pimped slapped so badly in my life. And to make it worse that 2010 Western Finals game delayed our vengence for losing the MLS Cup in 09. We were wrecking fools all year long and then bam Dallas literally laughed us off the pitch. Thank God I wasn't in the stands as I am almost certain I would have been arrested that day.

Honorable Mention
    2009 MLS Cup Final
    I still watch the highlights and fill like we just might pull off a win. Soooo close. Slipped right through the fingers. After that incredible comeback of a year to lose like that you KNEW that a sleeping beast was going to be wide awake from that day forth. But Dallas! DALLLAAASSS!!!!

If it wasnt for living through those rough 08-09 years I don't know if I would have had the strength to put up with those early losses that happened in 2012.

Hushx and 100fyers repped this.
  13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a really depressing thread. Reading through it has me feeling kind of sick. I didn't know that was possible when you are the two time champions.

A really smart guy (in a different context than sports) once told me that "Losing hurts worse than winning feels good. Winning is a high, but you remember the losses better." Guess that's true here as well.

Hushx and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  14. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a game towards the end of the Sigi Schmid era, after he'd lost the clubhouse, where Sigi put five forwards in and we still couldn't get off even 1 shot on goal.

And I'll go with that, because my shrink says I haven't really worked through 2003 enough to talk about what happened.

DotMPP, TrickHog and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  15. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. PartyPoops McBuzzkill.

Must...Resist..Abuse of Mod....Powers............

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 03 loss to San Jose was humiliating and unforgettable. That is definitely #1.

Beautiful Gamer reminded me of the shock and horror of 2010 versus Dallas. I was in the stands and it was horrible to watch the team just fall apart. It was cold comfort remembering that we were the Supporters Shield winner. Kind of like, exactly like, San Jose feels this year.

The Superliga final where Donovan missed the PK for the win (which I saw in person), was almost as bad as the 09 MLS cup final (which I saw on TV). But we can now console ourselves that the Superliga never meant anything... and tragically enough that goalkeeper Calero from Pachuca has just died an untimely death, so there are more important things.

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lopsided scores like the 4-0 Sanduskying we suffered against Seattle this past season are always in the running for worst game ever in my book.

18. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Superliga will forever be remembered by the Chris Klein bicycle kick. Everything else was just training.

Beakmon FC, UcIceD2011, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously that Klein bicycle is among my personal greatest moments in sports history I witnessed in person...

It was so "out of nowhere awesome" that even all the Pachuca fans around me starting cheering and going nuts...

Geneva repped this.
  20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you've convinced me to remember the good part of the superliga. (Klein's bicycle was epic.) Maybe I should do the same with 2010.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Most crushing game? 2003, being up at like 3 am in London watching in the dark trying not to make noise as we went up 4-0, then just sitting there with a terrible sense of dread and disappointment as it all fell apart.

Worst game in person, had to be the 2009 MLS Cup in Seattle, losing another cup, in shoot outs is always going to be a killer.

This thread is depressing, anyone want to start the opposite thread about the best game in Galaxy history?

22. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All yours, profiled.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member