Worst franchise in MLS history?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SweetOwnGoal, Nov 9, 2012.

?

What's the least successful MLS franchise of all-time

Poll closed Dec 9, 2012.
  1. New York

26.7%
  2. Toronto

30.3%
  3. Dallas

5.5%
  4. Chivas

37.6%
  1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we assume you're a Brooklyn Knights season ticket holder, then?

2. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    You need a ticket to see their games?

3. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to cheer for a team of all-locals, but I think the majority of prospective supporters would tire of seeing them get pounded game after game. I don't want to see an entire team of European semi-retirees either. The purpose of bringing in foreigners like Henry should be to mentor the younger Americans, creating a blend of athletic, enthusiastic American players who will improve while playing with skillful, savvy older foreigners.
    Hopefully we can get to a point in MLS where we won't need the foreigners to mentor. Dare to dream.

4. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^
    Just realized how off topic my last post is. I'd delete it if I could. My bad.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes won the Supporters Shield last season with three of their four MLS All-Stars being Bay Area locals: Wondo (Danville), Steven Beitashour (San Jose) and Ramiro Corrales (Salinas).

henryo repped this.
  6. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Here you go. See?

7. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Should FC Dallas finally win the SS (or MLS Cup for that matter) in 2013, the ghosts of being featured in this poll will be banished once and for all...

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is, of course, a HUGE asterisk there.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hey, we won one!

10. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Before FCD rescued a point versus Portland on May-8, New York was top of the overall standings for a brief while (albeit having played 2 more games than most other opponents), on the virtue of most goals scored.

So far, the best regular season finish they had was 3rd place in 2000 & 2010 (winning their conference in both instances). Anything in the Top-2 this season would set a new watermark for the franchise, :cool:.

11. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like someone said only two years in the league plus Portland is not half bad!

12. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    TFC is like the town drunk who can't stay on his feet ... after struggling up off the dirty floor, he leans off to one side, and steps sideways until he falls over again. Then he lays in his own vomit and sleeps.

They've had more head coaches than yrs in the league! Its the same assinine routine .. 1. Hire inexperienced coach, 2 promise that everything will be different 3. get bad players. 4 after poor start, get more bad players to replace the bad players. 4 fire coach. 5. Go to 1.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the Fusion did spawn the "looked like more" meme, though, didn't they?

Or the "I was there, I know it was more because I can tell" meme, one.

edwardgr repped this.
  14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was just referring to the fact that in 2001, the Fusion played two games at the Orange Bowl, with one of them a doubleheader.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that, too.

I wasn't contradicting you, just adding context for the benefit of those who weren't around before soccer came to America in June 2002.

16. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you guys think Red Bulls would get more support if they start pandering to the New Jersey population?

17. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not necessarily. The biggest issue is the vast amount of options sports fans have in the area, so if the team is not good, casual fans have less of a reason to come. Also the historic turnover in the team made it difficult for fans to develop deep bonds to the team because the team identity was always changing. I think the current regime is going to start getting the fans to come back.

18. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    New York is still second in the standings through May-12, thanks to SKC beating 3rd-placed Houston:

19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY lost an USOC final (I think at home) and a MLS cup in LA against CBUS I believe.
    That puts them ahead of Chivas who have never been to a final of any kind.
    TFC gets a break for being Canadian champion and making to the SF of the CCL by beating the LAG no less at LA:(
    NE is not as bad as it sounds- the fact they got to 3-4 MLS finals to loose and lost 1-2 USOC cups still shows the team had something to keep making those finals , once again more than Chivas

SO from bottom up, worst Chivas, followed by NYRB, then TFC

henryo repped this.
  20. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Just a footnote: Chivas did "win" the West (Reg. Season) in 2007 as Runners-up to Supporters' Shield:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.D._Chivas_USA#Achievements

They also finished as Runners-up of Reserve League in 2007: :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Reserve_League#2007

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...nd_statistics#All-Time_Regular_Season_Records I've found a consensus leader for worst all-time record.

As of the end of the 2012 regular season Toronto had the worst all time record in points per game and goal differential. Discounting teams with 2 seasons or less (Philly, Montreal, Vancouver and Portland) they are the only team to never have gotten to at least fourth place in the combined table. They have never been in the playoffs and have never finished higher than 11th place.

henryo repped this.
  22. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're talking least successful as in, wins and losses.....Toronto. They have yet to make the playoffs. If we're talking about least successful as in, success in their city......Chivas USA, hands downs. They're not even a blip on the radar here in LA.

23. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, The Mutiny never had an ownership group and MLS was running the show. When they couldn't offload them, they folded them. The franchise actually did quite well on the field.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going into this season Toronto had the worst alltime ppg, at 1.011. They're doing even worse than that this year.

25. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope for the sake of the league TFC turn things around.