Worst franchise in MLS history?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SweetOwnGoal, Nov 9, 2012.

?

What's the least successful MLS franchise of all-time

Poll closed Dec 9, 2012.
  1. New York

26.7%
  2. Toronto

30.3%
  3. Dallas

5.5%
  4. Chivas

37.6%
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The only reason FCD can be in this poll is nostalgia for the good old "Move FCD days!!!"

If you compare today's FC Dallas to say..................the New England Revolution, in what ways is FCD inferior. FCD is spending plenty on its roster via DPs and signings, they do have a SSS, and their attendance is actually better than the Revs. Their front office is making improvements year after year to the gameday experience. They've invested in having the best academy in MLS, and their U18s won the academy title last year.

FCD's attendance rose another 10% from 2011 to 2012..............................

This is why, of course, FCD is last in this poll. It's impossible to fathom how somebody could vote FCD over ChivasUSA.........................

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're inferior at losing MLS Cups.

looknohands repped this.
  3. DanGlingballs

DanGlingballs Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This list begins and ends with Chivas USA.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    But superior in losing USOC finals!!!!!!

Jasonma repped this.
  5. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the Galaxy should be on this list. Everyone keeps mentioning how the Revs have lost four MLS Cup finals. Well so have the Galaxy. Pathetic. Especially when you consider how much more money has been spent on this team compared to New England over the years. And don't forget losing in the SuperLiga final too. And two US Open Cup final losses as well. The Galaxy have a losing record in cup finals. The Galaxy are losers. That can not be denied.

Also consider that their ownership sabatoged their archrival, San Jose, by taking away their best player, the face of MLS Landon Donovan, and forced the Quakes to go on a 2-year hiatus. And what did the Galaxy do now that their enemy was out of the way? Win more championships? No. They proceeded to miss the playoffs for the next three years in a row. I mean.. talk about total ineptitude.

And they were eliminated by Toronto in the Champions League. C'mon now.

LA Galaxy: Worst Franchise in MLS History.

The_Ponce and song219 repped this.
  6. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it has to be Chivas USA. Toronto FC at least has their own stadium and a rabid fanbase. Chivas is the only club that shares their stadium with another MLS team. And I'm pretty sure if Toronto FC put together a winning team, the fans that have left would return. I'm not sure about Chivas USA. They don't even have their own crest, uniforms, name....well, identity. I think teams like New York, Dallas, Columbus and Toronto would see a major bump if they put together talented, competitive squads. I'm just not 100% that things would increase for Chivas USA. I think they're just too far in one direction to broaden themselves to the masses, even if they had a winning team.

7. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its funny that we have people arguing how bad a franchise is based on attendance rather than longevity, history, and competitiveness. We'll call it the "Seattle Rationalization".

The_Ponce repped this.
  8. foreverthursday

foreverthursday New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Stony Plain, Alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    By your logic the Red Bulls are the same thing as Chivas.

9. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls share their stadium with another MLS team? I did not know that.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That is, except for the club they share it with.

Polemarch and The_Ponce repped this.
  11. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To a degree. Not THE worst.

12. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the "Seattleization."

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good stuff. I'm enjoying this.

14. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Or, because they are one of only two original teams to have not won a Supporter's Shield or MLS Cup...

15. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, let me rephrase that...the only team that rents a stadium from another MLS team.

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was based on Facebook and Twitter followers????

The_Ponce and fingersave repped this.
  17. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only two years in the league, were close to the play offs in their debut season, draw well to their matches, some of the best fans in the league. Why on earth would they be a candidate?

The_Ponce repped this.
  18. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most important reason bolded.

The_Ponce repped this.
  19. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    "New York" is the worst franchise in MLS, mostly because it's so inaptly named. As a longtime NYC resident, I can tell you that very few people who actually live in the New York City (or even state) support the Red Bulls. They got it all wrong geographically. This club resonates only with people from New Jersey, the stadium is a pain in the ass to get to via public transportation from Manhattan, and they have zero grassroots connections to the NYC area.

This club totally misrepresents it's identity and for that reason, I vote it to be the worst MLS franchise. NYC needs it's own grassroots club, even if it were the worst club in the league or conference it would still be heavily supported. Common Mr.MLS Commissioner, it's time for New York to have it's own club, not a New Jersey imposter with an identity crisis.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hachiko, looknohands and fingersave repped this.
  21. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I would prefer the Brooklyn something-rather, but even NY Cosmos will do as long as the stadium is in one of the boroughs (just not the Bronx or SI, haha).

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize 75% of the original Cosmos' home games were played outside the NYC city limits, right? Most of them in NJ?

23. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I have about as much connection to the original NY Cosmos as I do to RBNY. To me Cosmos is just an abstract idea, I'm not old enough to have seen them play, their name means nothing to me. All I know about them is that they had a bunch of washed up stars who'd come to NYC to finish up their careers. I want a real team, that is one mostly comprised of local players. You bring a team like that to NYC and I'm buying season tickets no matter how much they suck.

24. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have fun being the only person in the arena, then.

25. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I think you are wrong. If I want to see European superstars in their prime, I'll just turn on the TV and tune into a CL game. To me, seeing young promising American players is a hell of a lot more attractive then seeing Thiery Henry or Beckham finishing up their careers. We've already seen Thiery Henry when he was in his prime at Arsenal, what's the attraction now? Good player, yes, playing at a club that has zero connection to the population of the city it's supposed to represent.

I don't think you realize how much of a draw the local boys are for an area. Why do you think England has so many heavily supported smaller clubs? I'm talking about QPRs, Swanseas, Readings, Bolton's etc of England. None of these teams are star studded and they primarily comprised of domestic players and they play in sold out stadiums. Stars are not a requirement to the popularity of a club. It's all about the competitive spirit and the grassroots connection to the area. That arouses feelings of pride especially when they are playing against the big star studded teams. There's a big "us-vs-them" factor present at games like that, which is entirely lacking in the relationship of NYC to RBNY.

Speaking of stupid plastic teams; I think the Brooklyn Nets is a prime example of that.