World War Z

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Area 51, Nov 8, 2012.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ender's Game movie scares me. It was such a great book, and I have no faith at all that Hollywood can show restraint and produce a movie that fits the book.

Kind of like World War Z, which could have made for an interesting take on the zombie genre instead of just being Brad Pitt vs. the Zombies.

Ismitje repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I've always hated Woody Harrelson...until I saw him fighting Zombies..! :D

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife came up with this guess...

[​IMG]

In case she's wrong...

[​IMG]

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Oh yeah - Samuel Jackson has been in a lot of over 200M movies - looks like 6 as well (1 being the Incredibles). I assumed when guys like Tom Cruise didn't have that many that it was more rare, but truthfully, I'm not sure you could say Samuel Jackson was the main star in many of these movies which was sort of the point of the article - is Brad Pitt a leading man blockbuster star?

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, avoid Z if that is your criteria. Brad Pitt is completely anonymous in this movie in the sense that there was no time for him to build a character at all. Any living body could have inhabited that role.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you become privy to some of Spielberg's comments about Falling Skies, you will learn that for him the drama is about family, the relationships between people and, by extension, groups that share or do not share a common perspective or purpose. thus, one of the central crises in FS is that the sons of Tom Mason, and later, his wife, are beset by/with strong influences from non-humans.

a source of tension in Z is that Pitt must choose to leave his family to pursue a "higher calling". the human race's future depends on his choices and commitment to what we all share, our fundamental humanity. the moral question for Pitt, who, incidentally is a government operative, revolves around whether his allegiance is to Mankind or his immediate kin. there are factors that complicate the issue, but it seems to me that the crux of the drama in the story is in that tension.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Except that Pitt didn't leave for a "higher" calling. He left because the general blackmailed him into it. The ship was only for indispensable people, and if Pitt wasn't going to help then he and his family were just refugees. And when everyone thought Pitt was dead, his family was dumped ashore.

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it wasn't his higher calling, it was a higher calling for his race. his motivation was ultimately partly/mostly selfish, but he accepted his mission and carried it out with singular dedication.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just moved the goal posts in the damn movies/TV/Music forum? C'mon, Royal!

10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i get where youse are coming from, but i think that's just part of the drama in the movie. if Pitt's character doesn't have any conflict about going/not going to Korea, it makes his choice a simple one. it's a plot device.

we know in advance he's not going to die and his family isn't going to be set back in NYC or South Philly, but there has to be that conflict.

we get manipulated all the time in these movies. my view is that the blackmail and the issues surrounding his wife and kids being dumped in Zombieland are typical measures to show how screwed up the military and government are.

11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Huh? How screwed they are? Because they didn't give him free shelter and food to his family while he didn't do anything for them back? If anything that was one of the good things in the movie in that they base it on reality of a crisis and not a fake entitled reality.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry that you don't get the concept.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What concept? Explain to me how the military was so horrible for not giving him a free ride.