World Cup Travel - Visa for U.S. Citizens

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Lebowski, Jan 11, 2014.

1. robbyt

robbyt New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Has anyone had any experience with the Wednesday morning walk-up application in SF? My wife and I are flying down from Seattle in 2 weeks because we are too concerned our visas wouldn't be processed in time if we go through an agency. This seemed like the best option to insure that we don't lose out on our flight, room, and game. Just curious if the lines were long i.e. how early we should get there, and if anyone had an easy or difficult experience. Thanks!

2. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    Check out posts #378 and #485. I can't get on the consulate site right now but this past week they added a requirement that the Wednesday walk-ins required an appointment going forward. The appointment is specifically for the special visa and seems more readily available than the regular tourist visa. So I don't know if that will change the waiting room scene at all. I have a friend going this coming Wednesday and can report back if no one else responds.

3. ddv33

ddv33 New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I was planning to do the Wednesday walk-in in SF. Now I"m not sure whether I need to wait until I get a ticket certificate and/or make an appointment. So confusing!

4. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    #629 Mnorris, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    SF was not requiring ticket certificates. Did they update their site to say that they now require them? Edit: I was finally able to get on their site and I didn't see anything that made it sound like they were now requiring ticket certificates, however, it's very easy to miss things on their site. So let me know if you saw something.

From their site, it looks like you now need to make an appointment to go in on Wednesdays. It's very easy and quick to do. You could do it right now and just walk in on Wednesday.

5. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Is the LA office requiring this mythical FIFA ticket certificate? Can anyone comment on this please?

6. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Mythical.. LOL!!
    I'm an aticketcertificatist: I don't believe ticket certificate exists.

On my way to Houston consulate. Will report back soon.

7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Just got back from the DC consulate. The wait was about 45 minutes but only because the people in front of me had issues/complications (didn't have proper ticket documentation, trying to get visas for family, etc). Painless experience once I got to the window. Didn't have to say a word. Just come with all the required documentation.

8. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @tRucHo- @clubamericalara

Visa Done.

In and out in about 15 mins. Only took the visa application receipt page and copy of ticket confirmation email (didn't ask for flight/hotel confirmation), both were returned with the passport.

wixson7 repped this.
  9. tRucHo-

tRucHo- Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

Nice, I hope to receive my passport this week. Do you have to go back to pick it up or mailed to your house?

10. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    NICE! i mailed mine to travel visa pro thursday.. hopefully all goes well for me.

11. robbyt

robbyt New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    You saved us from the ultimate nightmare scenario! We were headed there with the old information that you only needed to walk-in and take a number. Made our appointments for 9am on the 7th, total sense of relief knowing that we now have an appointment and should walk away from there a happy couple!

12. PierreRenard

PierreRenard Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    DoMexicans need VISAS to go to Brazil as well? Does anyone know?

13. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    if you have a mexican passport, you do NOT need a visa to enter brazil. just your MEXICAN passport.. however if you are entering USA obviously you will need your USA passport/other documentation

PierreRenard repped this.
  14. robbyt

robbyt New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Just need the tickets or an email confirmation. Here is a link to the SF office requirements http://sistemas.mre.gov.br/kitweb/datafiles/SaoFrancisco/en-us/file/world_cup_visa.pdf

and copied from that link:

In order to apply for a FIFA visa with the Consulate General of Brazil in San Francisco,
    please submit the following (from 9 am to 11:30 am, on Wednesdays – Please note that
    you need to make an appointment online):
    for spectators, the match ticket or ticket purchase confirmation; for journalists or
    camerapersons, the appropriate press accreditation document issued by FIFA’s press
    committee; for FIFA-accredited organizers and volunteers, an invitation letter issued
    by FIFA or by the Local Organizing Committee;
    • your passport, valid for at least another 6 months and with at least one blank visa
    page available;
    • one recent 2" x 2" passport photo of the applicant, front view, white background
    (please glue the photo on the receipt page – see below; note that snapshots and
    computer pictures are not accepted);
    • the printed receipt page (with barcode) of the online visa application form; said
    receipt can be printed after filling out the online form and must be signed by the
    passport holder; the photo must be glued on the appropriate box (please fill out the
    online form as completely as possible).

Additional visa requirements for minor children (under 18 years of age):
    • both parents must sign the receipt page in the appropriate signature box.
    • the original and one copy of birth certificate must be presented;
    • a notarized letter of consent to issue a visa for minor children must be presented,
    signed by both parents.

Visas for persons who will travel to Brazil to attend the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be issued
    free of charge.

Entry and stay in Brazil
    First entry in Brazil on visas issued for spectators and journalists (and their legal
    dependents) must be by July 13, 2014. Spectators and journalists/camerapersons and their
    legal dependents may stay in Brazil for up to 90 days. This period is counted as of the date
    of first entry and flows uninterruptedly. The visa is good for multiple entries in Brazil

15. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They gave it back right away with visa attached to it.

16. JohnnyMctootinstuff

JohnnyMctootinstuff New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    ARGH! I just verified with them that the email confirmation was fine and mailed my application in on Friday. Now they change the web site to say the certificate is required... This is incredibly frustrating. Guess I'll be sending them an email to see if I'm good or I'm going to get rejected. I'll update if I get a response.

This whole certificate business is nuts. FIFA originally said they would get mailed out in early April. The consulates, who keep flip flopping on their requirements, say people have started getting certificates, but I have yet to hear of anybody even knowing a single person that has actually gotten their certificate. Our emails to FIFA asking about the certificates go unanswered. Then, I hear that if you choose to have your tickets delivered you will not be sent a certificate, and will have to use the actual tickets as proof. So now, those people have to wait until just a few weeks before their trip (if FIFA even mails the tickets out on time), before they can even try and get a visa... which means if they get rejected or their passport gets lost in the mail they're screwed.

17. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    Good luck! In the worst case, if you end up needing something that you didn't bring with you, but can print it out, there's a Fedex Kinko's around the corner. Ask the person nicely if you could run down and get whatever documentation you need and bring it right up. They've also let me e-mail them missing information before (not a guarantee that they will do it again but they might). I have a friend going in on Wednesday as well so I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of you.

18. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    I sincerely hope that Atlanta will allow a grace period for those who mailed in their application before they changed their site. That's so frustrating.

19. JohnnyMctootinstuff

Apr 24, 2014
    Here's the text from their web site, which appeared as a news post:

Attention - Information about Fifa World Cup Visas
    25/04/2014 -
    TOURISTS (VITUR-TE):

The Consulate General of Brazil in Atlanta informs all visa applicants interested in special category tourist visas for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil (VITUR-TE) that this type of visa will be free of charge but application must be made in person, or by one of the guests in the group, at the Consulate General with the presentation of the original official ticket/certificate issued by FIFA. It is a walk in service from 9am to 1pm. You don't have to schedule appointments.

Visa Agencies must schedule an appointment using the email visa.atlanta@itamaraty.gov.br. The appointment will be for FIFA World Cup visas only.

Processing time for VITUR-TE will be of 3 business days. The VITUR-TE will be valid only for the FIFA WORLD CUP.

They haven't updated the world cup visa information page yet. The text above also says you must apply in person, so maybe the certificate is only required if you apply in person? I dunno... I've emailed them but they've been slow to respond in the past so I'm not expecting an update for at least a few days.

20. HerbiePopnecker

HerbiePopnecker New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Speaking of this "mythical ticket certificate", I thought ticket certificates were being sent out to everyone but apparently it's only being sent to those that opted -not- to have their tickets delivered. Here's the response I received from FIFA today:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the FIFA Ticketing Centre. We can confirm that you will receive an Official Ticket Purchase Confirmation Certificate if you:
    -Are a resident outside of Brazil and did not request your tickets to be delivered, or
    -Are a resident of Brazil and paid for your Tickets with Boleto, and did not request your Tickets to be delivered

These are scheduled to be sent to the Main Applicant’s postal address from April 2014 onwards.

Ticket Certificates can be used in conjunction with your official ID in order to collect your Tickets from one of the FIFA Venue Ticketing Centres in Brazil, and can also be used to support your application should you require a VISA for travel and entry into Brazil.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind RegardsMary Dwan
    General Public Ticketing Representative

FIFA Ticketing Centre

21. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    Yeah, the ticket certificates are proof of ticket for those that don't have the actual ticket (the people who will be picking the tickets up.) So for the consulates who are following the instructions to the letter, they only accept either the ticket itself or the the ticket certificate. Others have chosen to accept the email or website confirmation in place of the ticket certificate.

22. ddv33

ddv33 New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Thanks! Made an appt. and going to try on Wednesday. There was something that said:

"Please note: if you do not have your FIFA tickets yet, you are NOT entitled to a FIFA 2014 Visa. In this case, you will have to apply for a "Tourist Visa" through the regular visa appointment. No exceptions."

But I think maybe they just mean if you haven't purchased tickets rather than have them in hand.

23. JohnnyMctootinstuff

Apr 24, 2014

Got a response (quick!). They said if you mailed in the application prior to April 28th it will be processed. They then went on to say yes they're only processing applications in person, but they do still accept the email confirmation. The email was a bit vague. I would verify with them directly if you're thinking of submitting to Atlanta.

24. lebowski2332

lebowski2332 Member

Dec 14, 2005
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made our appointments for 9am on the 7th, total sense of relief knowing that we now have an appointment and should walk away from there a happy couple![/quote]

I am flying tomorrow to SF from Seattle and also almost missed the new appointment requirement. You need to fill out the online application first and then use the receipt number to schedule an appointment. I will report back about wait times, lines, documents asked for, and I only have email printouts from FIFA ticketing. Keeping my own fingers crossed since they keep changing the process down there.

25. areyoublindref

areyoublindref New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Just for those interested in applying in San Francisco:

Had a really easy experience getting the visa from there. Turned up at 9 but could have easily turned up a little later as the line dwindled after that. Picking up was easy too. Got there at 1155 and was out the door passport in hand by 12.

Only had my fifa ticket confirmation email (i was main applicant); passport; passport photo and barcode receipt of online application. They did not ask for flight information at all (which I was nervous about not having as everyone else in the line did). Decided if they asked about an airline ticket I would just say I was going to use a friend's airline buddy pass and that is why I did not have a flight booked.

I applied for my visa on the 8th (April), they confirmed then and there at the window that I could come pick up my passport with the visa in it a week later on the 15th. Just needed my ID to pick up, no slip was given (the week before a slip was given, my week they had done away with giving slips out).

I also picked up my friend's passport on their behalf (they had gone in the week before to apply). Just needed a signed letter addressed to the consulate from my friend saying the consulate was, 'authorized to surrender the passport' to me. Easy.

Now that is two weeks ago so the rules might have changed regarding now having to make appointments as I can see from above posts.

Just wanted to share my experience. Good luck!

wixson7 repped this.