World Cup Travel - Manaus

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Riker, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Yes, it's hot and humid. Any other questions?

wixson7 repped this.
  2. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I arrive at 2pm for a now 6pm kickoff (thanks FIFA was 9pm)

Assume I just have to hope the flight is on time and that there are plenty of taxis. Time for a quick stop and photo at the Amazon and i assume nothing else.

3. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Where's the flight coming from? Should be enough, the ride from the airport to the stadium takes about 20 minutes with normal traffic.

Lefthand repped this.
  4. Lefthand

Lefthand New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    For US fans, this is a major killer....I am staying in Natal/Pipa area for two weeks and the flight alone to Manaus is $1000. Does anyone have any insight on how to do this more affordably? I have 2 tickets to USA v PORT and really want to go, but cant make it work financially considering all the costs just to get and stay in Brasil. Any advice??

5. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    That's a tough one. There aren't direct flights from Natal to Manaus. I'd check the prices out of Fortaleza, but odds are prices won't be pretty either.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is the Rip Off World Cup. Make sure people with TST tickets either stress out on planning/payments or just sell the tickets and if that's not possible, miss a game here and there. Great job Brasil.

7. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    $1,000 USD seems to be about right. I booked from Natal for England v Italy but it is not direct as you say. Strange I thought I had seen a direct one a few weeks back.

indirect through Brasilia seemed the best option for me.

I justified it by stopping off in Brasilia for a 2nd game ion the following day before flying back that night. You could do that for Brazil v Cameroon ,,,,but getting tickets will be tough. I'm thinking Switzerland v Ecuador will be fairly easy.

It is budget busting but I wanted to see the Amazon and the novelty of a football match there particularly involving England and Italy. ...

I suspect a lot of fans will skip their Manas and Cuiaba games and just take in the other 2.

8. Gratefulphish41

Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where are you seeing that flight price as a low end? Looked on Kayak and its closer to 500

9. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    Talking accommodation.

Near the stadium there are a couple of good (pricey) hotels. They are Caesar Business Manaus and Manaus Hotéis - Millennium. Both are within walking distance, though it's a 25-minute walk.

Mango Guesthouse is a pousada, halfway between the stadium and the Ponta Negra fan zone in a residential area. Probably cheaper than the options above.

Another good pousada is Chez Les Rois, located in the lively Vieiralves neighborhood, with good bars and restaurants around.

Now, if you talking cheap, you'll be staying downtown Manaus. Beware of the area and the hotels. Big Hostel Brasil is a solid option.

Finally, if you are looking into renting an apartment, you might find something here: http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/ferias/brasil/manaus/r29549

I've found this one http://www.aluguetemporada.com.br/imovel/p3645701, though I know the area and it's more like 1km from the stadium.

Pseudonym and William Reynolds repped this.
  10. OscW

OscW New Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks for the Info!

Have they announced or at least talked about where they will set up the official fan zone in Manaus? In my experience you would rather stay close to that than the arena.

11. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
  12. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    are there hotels in the Ponta Negra beach area? is that a safe/fun area to stay?

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @Riker I read that the teatro amazon area in downtown is a good central spot..no? Looking for place with bars/restaurants.

Also, if i wanted to do a 3-4 hour "amazon river tour" is there something you recommend. Need to check the box but dont think i'll do the jungle lodge 2-3 day type of thing.

14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Im looking at the 2am flight after the game back to salvador, it will at least save me a night in a hotel. Just a thought..

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Is this the same thing? Manaus – Memorial Encontro das Aguas;

16. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    jungle lodge? what is that? that sounds interesting.

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The amazon river/jungle excursions, There are tons of outfitters that run them, the main reason to go to manaus outside of a soccer game.

Places like this.are all over the google interwebs. . http://amazonbackpackers.com.br/packages.php?lan=en

bkn0528 repped this.
  18. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    ok, thanks. i will check it out.

19. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm far from being an expert on Manaus but from my research, one place that stood out as a great place to stay for a few days that is all-inclusive and gives you a good Amazon Jungle experience is the Juma Amazon Lodge. A bit expensive but food/lodging/tours are all included. They pick you up early the morning of your check-in date (7:30am for the 2-night stay I'm doing) so you get two full days of Amazonian Awesomeness and you lodge in a jungle hut on stilts way above the Amazon River. It looks like Ewok Village from Return of the Jedi. I can't wait! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...e-Autazes_Amazon_River_State_of_Amazonas.html
    I stay June 19-21. Maybe I'll see ya there!

20. silicus

silicus Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Feb 26, 2008
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funnily enough big soccer fan Drew Carey's show Price is Right has include the Juma Amazon Lodge in some of its prizes. Maybe we'll run into Drew while we are down there! Skip to 1:55 of this video to see it introduced!

21. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    It's an upscale area. There are two hotels in the are, both expensive: Tropical Hotel Manaus and Park Suites Manaus.

The area immediately near the Teatro is fine. But downtown Manaus is a touch place at night. I'd recommend
    Boutique Hotel Casa Teatro.
    There are plenty of 3-4 hours tours offered at the docks. It's something you want to do, yes.

No, Sir. I can't stress this enough. The Memorial was supposed to be built to be a fan zone, but it never was. So, in short, there's no such thing as a Memorial Encontro das Águas. The Ponta Negra Beach will host the fan zone.

Re: Jungle Lodges

They're mostly good. Juma is highly rated alongside Anavilhanas Jungle Lodge. The most famous jungle lodge are Ariaú Amazon Towers and Amazon Jungle Palace.

Beware though that these guys will be very very expensive during the World Cup.

Pseudonym repped this.
  22. madtown

madtown Member

Jan 19, 2010
    anyone have any travel hacks to manaus? im going to be in the natal/recife/salvador area and have only found flights in the $800 range. anyone have any alternate routes or ways of getting there?

Trillium repped this.
  23. kgriff28

kgriff28 Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have experience with this hotel - Go Inn? We will be staying there two nights coming from Sao Paulo to Manaus then off to Salvador. We will be attending the England vs. Italy game.

Also, any recommendations for good soccer bars/pubs to watch the other matches at?

24. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    It's a fine hotel, near the Teatro in downtown Manaus. Not the greatest area to walk at night, but it's fine if it's just a stroll to the Teatro. That said, there are a few good bars around the Teatro. A more young crowd will gather at the Vieiralves neighborhood, plenty of bars and restaurants there. It's a 15-minute ride from your hotel.

kgriff28 repped this.
  25. kgriff28

kgriff28 Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks so much!