World Cup Travel - Fortaleza

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Furnaccio, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    but does anyone have any feedback about the city of Fortaleza?

1. Is it a pedestrian friendly city?
    2. Where are the best areas to stay? areas to stay away from?
    3. Recomendations for must-do / must-see activities?
    4. Any excursions worth checking out - day trip outside of fortaleza?
    5, Past experiences worth sharing?
    6. i'm going with a group of 4 - we are going to 2 games - one of them a brazil home game on June 17 and another on June 21.
    7. I have tickets for a June 14 game in fortaleza (4 category 1), but i can't attend that game, so i'm looking to sell those.

2. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Hi Furnaccio,

As a local I can answer accurately your questions:

1. Is it a pedestrian friendly city?
    Yes, they're fixing the main streets and its sidewalk. The only problem are the drivers, they usually don't respect or use the turn signs, so be aware.

2. Where are the best areas to stay? areas to stay away from?
    It's relative, Fortaleza has hundred of "favelas" all around the city, but I'd suggest to stay in the neighborhoods of Meireles, Iracema Beach, Varjota and Aldeota. They are close to tourists attractions and you can find all the facilities in a range of few blocks.

3. Recomendations for must-do / must-see activities?
    Go for a walk in Beira Mar boardwalk. Not as famous as copacabana, but the sunset is breathtaking. Every night there is a handcraft fair there, and at the end there is a fish market where you can buy shrimp, lobster and fish and they fry it straight to you.
    Varjota neighborhood has restaurants for every taste, there are some nightlife too.
    Iracema Beach is the nightlife neighborhood.
    Praia do Futuro Beach is famous for its beach shacks, some of them work as club at night.

4. Any excursions worth checking out - day trip outside of fortaleza?
    Sure, at Beira Mar you can find dozens of vans and minibuses offering day trips to beaches outside the city.
    Canoa Quebrada and Jericoacoara are the most famous, but I recommend also Praia das Fontes, Praia do Cumbuco, Lagoinha and Taiba

5, Past experiences worth sharing?
    Fortaleza is like anywhere, there is always that person that was robbed or similar.

7. I have tickets for a June 14 game in fortaleza (4 category 1), but i can't attend that game, so i'm looking to sell those.
    I may be interested, how many do you have and how much are you selling?

Rob Napier, cigar_city, zdog and 2 others repped this.
  3. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    @mateus Thanks for the very helpful response to @Furnaccio !

We'll be in Fortaleza for the entire group stage (so for about two weeks) and are getting very excited! None of us have been to your city before. We are thinking we might base ourselves in the city for one week (thanks for the neighborhood recommendations!), and then perhaps somewhere outside the city for the other week (just to have a different experience).

Do you think a place like Beberibe might be too far away, or could we go even farther in the direction of Natal?

We are going to try to get tickets for Ghana - USA on Natal on the 16th. We already have tickets to Brazil - Mexico on the 17th in FTL. Muito obrigado in advance, if you happen to see this message!

4. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    We are staying in BeachPark as a home base for the month. Trying obviously for the USA in Natal and match 17 that you already have! I've spent 7-8 weeks in Fortaleza (if you add them all together). PM me if anyone has questions, it's a great home base but I'm disappointed in the quality of games in the area. Or may I just say, too much Mexico in the northeast??

5. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro

6. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    matheus dutra repped this.
  7. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booked the Holiday Inn in Icanema Beach. Is the area safe enough to walk around? Can we go to restaurants that are say, 3 or 4 blocks away? Or should we always cab it?

8. JPNYC

JPNYC Member

New York Red Bulls
    Mexico
    Nov 1, 2013
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    anyone know of a good cheap hostel in Fortaleza? I will be there with 2 others from june 16-18

9. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    cigar_city repped this.
  10. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Holiday Inn is a really good hotel in the best location of the city, FIFA Fan Fest will be right in front of it. It's located close to the nightlife streets and close to Beira Mar boardwalk. Nice choice!

11. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I love this video about Fortaleza.

Rob Napier and soccerlee14 repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hotels by Avenida Abolicao is where tha party is at right?

13. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    I don't think so, The nightlife neighborhood here is Iracema Beach: The clubs and bars are the small houses between the 2 first Piers.
    After the last pier is Beira Mar and Abolicao Avenue.
    The big stretch of sand is where FIFA Fan Fest will be placed.
    praia iracema.jpg

Try looking accommodation close to Historiador Raimundo Girao Avenue and Almirante Barroso Avenue.

ceezmad repped this.
  14. JPNYC

JPNYC Member

New York Red Bulls
    Mexico
    Nov 1, 2013
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for your suggestions. I emailed At Home hostel and Pub but got no response. But I ended up booking a room at a hotel on Rua dos Tabajaras, its in Iracema. Its because of your comments of Iracema beach that i decided to jump on it. How close will I be to the nightlife spots? Thanks again

15. matheus dutra

matheus dutra New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Haha, good spot! there are several bars scattered through this street, actually the bars and clubs are all around this neighborhood. The most famous are close to "Dragao do Mar", it's an art and culture center.
    I really like going to http://www.choppdobixiga.com.br/ where they sell wine beer draft, really effective way to get drunk. And after to this awesome rock club http://orbitabar.com.br/

JPNYC repped this.
  16. Saltynuts

Saltynuts Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone else having extreme trouble finding quality places to stay in Fortaleza? We have tickets & flights taken care of, but finding a nicer hotel in Iracema or Meirles has been cost prohibitive. Any suggestions?

17. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do hope Fortaleza is is even half as good as this video suggests. Surprised how few people have also decided it was a good base to have. Looking forward to it.

18. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Can anyone recommend any hotels from June 25-30th and June 30-July 6th hopefully under 150 USD/night that are refundable? Chile plays Netherlands June 23rd, so I'll only know whether I'll use the reservation at that point.

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Going to the World Cup I was going to target rio or the southern brazil but the northeast seems more classic brazil then the other sites and venue

20. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    Message me. I have a room with an extra bed for the week jun 30 to july 5th

21. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up with a number of tickets to Fortaleza matches even though I have no plans to go there. Let me know if anyone is interested. (see signature)

22. ekartash

ekartash Member

Mar 20, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking about staying in Cumbuco, which is about 30 min from Fortaleza. Anyone else doing the same, or have an opinion on the area. I got some positive feedback on TRipadvisor

23. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Any feedback on Hotel Diogo?

24. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Diogo is very good and was one of the three I would have chosen to stay at. the Mareiro was just slightly cheaper but Diogo has slightly better ratings.

25. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    Why would you not want to stay in Fortaleza? For how many days?