World Cup Travel - Belo Horizonte

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Santista, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Jul 23, 2013
    People drive far more aggressively in Brazil than in most other places on earth. I was born and raised in Belo Horizonte, and drove there for many years before moving to the US. Still, whenever I go back it still takes me a couple of days to get used to the pace of driving. Especially because of the motorcycles: there are ton of motorcycles from courier services and they will zip around cars not respecting lane divisions or anything like that.

With regards to parking, most of the downtown areas will have street parking, but it will frequently be difficult to find a spot, and normally street parking will require a "Faixa azul," a ticket you buy where you enter the time and date you parked and it lets you park there for a few hours. But on top of the street parking, there are many garages you can park in. Those are likely better, safer options.

One thing to keep in mind is that car break ins are fairly common in Brazil: don't leave any valuables in sight. Another is that parking is not allowed in most streets around the stadium on game day, so you will have to check what arrangements fifa has set up for parking.

2. African_Biohazard

African_Biohazard New Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated! I'm from South Africa, so I know all about aggressive driving and a (mild) disrespect for the rules of the road. I think I'll give it a try - but may resort to using public transport for match days. If it's anything like SA 2010, then a very large area outside the stadium is cordened-off from traffic.

3. Rafael Mayrink

Rafael Mayrink New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Ribeirão das Neves??? This is not a good place to go!!!

4. James Moss

James Moss New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone planning to go back to Rio the day after the England game? Have to get back in time for France v Ecuador.

5. syrianpro2

syrianpro2 New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I am flying to Belo from Rio on Jun 21 to catch the Argentina v Iran game. I need to be back to Rio the next day to catch the Belgium v russia game. I am thinking of taking the bus after the game from Belo to Rio. Should I buy the bus ticket in advance or are there frequent buses every few hours?

6. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hi James, yes I will be doing this same trip. Haven't decided whether I will fly or get the bus yet. Probably whatever is the most affordable option. What were you thinking?

7. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yes, My friend and I plan on doing the same thing.
    Most likely for cost purposes, taking the overnight bus which leaves Belo at 10pm and gets into Rio around 5am..

8. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Can you please tell me what website you used to book this accommodation? I have been looking for this hotel but have been unable to find it anwhere on the internet! Thanks.

9. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Hi there.

I just used ibis.com and searched for hotels in Belo Horizonte for the dates that I will be there. There were about eight available hotels in and around the city. This seemed to be the best located. There is also an Ibis Budget at the same location that was a little cheaper.

Good luck.

Cheers.

ken.

10. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Jul 23, 2013
    There are frequent buses, but they are cheaper if you buy them online ahead of time. Additionally, keep in mind that we don't know how busy these things will be during the world cup. Now it is very easy to just drop by and buy a ticket. During the world cup? Who knows.

11. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone needs any tickets to the games here let me know. I have 4 Cat 1 tix to Belgium/ Algeria, Argentina/Iran, and England/Costa Rica that Ive got to sell.

12. celtic67

celtic67 Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Australia
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Are you able to please tell me the name of the website where I can buy a ticket for these buses? Thanks.

13. paulitcha_pp

paulitcha_pp New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hi All!!
    I had some difficulties to find Hotel, because they only have packages, and I understand that are many people looking for Hospitality too.

JUST AS A TIP FOR YOU ALL, my dad bought a package on this site and they were very attentive and have good prices. And as a Flight Attendant, I know the Hotels that they offer and all are very good and reliable.
    http://www.terramarnacopa.com.br

14. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Jul 23, 2013
    There are many, including the company specific websites. But I linked this upthread:
    http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/en

I don't know how good a deal you get there, but it was one I had found before.

15. Rafael Mayrink

Rafael Mayrink New Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    This is the main company that goes from BH to Rio. There are many buses during a day, but in WC days I think u should buy it before.

http://www.util.com.br/

16. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    For those that live in Belo, what is the locker situation for storing luggage at the Bus terminal like? I will be flying into Belo the day of the England game, and will be leaving the same day on an overnight bus to Rio. I will need to store my luggage though during the game. Any idea how many lockers there are in the Bus Station and how many lockers in total there are? cheers

17. steve0326

steve0326 New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Hi Rafael, how safe is it to travel by bus at night? Need to be back in Rio early on June 15. Do you think it will be safe to travel overnight?

18. steve0326

steve0326 New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'm in Belo Horizonte from June 13-15 - there for the Colombia-Greece game. You guys have any suggestions for accommodations? My last resort will be to book via the FIFA website, but just curious to see if you guys know anything. Thanks.

19. Pablo Garces

Pablo Garces Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is Funcionarios a good area to stay??

20. Pablo Garces

Pablo Garces Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Would it be possible for the guys who kno BH to make a list of the neghborhoods to avoid?? I'm looking for accommodation but there is obviously lots of places there. Thanks in advance guys.

21. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Yes. It is close to downtown and Savassi, close to most major nightlife and restaurants.

Excluding the area immediately surrounding the bus station (rodoviaria), most areas within the Avenida do Contorno perimeter will be ok. Most areas to the south of the city, especially around Nossa Senhora do Carmo and Raja Gabaglia avenues will be ok. On the north side, the closer you are to the stadium or Pampulha lake, the better. Other than that, it is hard to get too specific. As in many cities in Brazil, it is quite common to have a perfectly fine neighborhood right next to a pretty bad one.

22. Pablo Garces

Pablo Garces Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    jimpinetree.
    Thanks for the info mate.

23. david phillps

david phillps Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hi ALL
    Q - WE (Dave and Will) have 2 choices to fly in from Curitiba on the 24th June after AUST V SPAIN game ( NO tickets yet :( either to PAMPULHA Airport AT 11.00 am or fly into Tancredo Neves Inter. Airport at 10.30 and SAVE $ 100 each . Not sure if it is easy/time wise or cost to get from the Tancredo airport to the ground for 13.00 KO.
    Or pay extra to fly into Pampulha ?
    Any tips & info would be great for above and advice on 1 nights Accommodation for two as we fly out to Salvador next day .
    We also have two spare tickets for this game Cat. 1 and would be great to swap for Aust. v Spain or ENG. V URUGUARY or any game in RIO . HOPING
    Thanks and have a great World Cup
    DAVE
    PS. GO ENG - AUST AND MELBOURNE VICTORY !!!!!!!

24. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Is supporting England AND Australia legal??

25. Stu_Lee

Stu_Lee Member

Feb 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Would any of you happen to be looking for a ticket to the Belgium-Algeria match on June 17th? My itinerary changed and now I have an extra to spare (One CAT2 ticket). Would trade for almost any other game... just trying to put together a better package of tickets to trade for the match I am really after... thank you all in advance!