World Cup MONEY Thread - Credit, Debit, Currency Exchange

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Bukester, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Bukester

Bukester Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Discussions of the best strategies for obtaining cash and paying during our stays in Brazil have popped up on a number of threads. The purpose of this thread is to consolidate those topics. Items to discuss include:
    • Best credit cards, debit cards and pre-paid cash cards to use
    • Currency exchange strategies
    • Avoiding fraud

2. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Reposting on the right thread:

Rule-of-thumb with ATMs here: inside a bank? Good. Inside a store? Well, if I don't have any other option. On any public place, like airports, bus stations, the street? Avoid as possible.

3. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Best places to exchange currency please? Specifically in Rio and Brasilia ?

4. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe some locals in Brasil would be interested in trading some currency. Both parties win, no fees for anybody. I received a PM from a Brasilian wanting to do that.

If you can set it up while there, that would be a great way to exchange.

Otherwise, I will be avoiding ATMs at the airport, and looking for one in a bank. Only problem is I get dinged from my bank here for withdrawing. I think it was $5USD each time.

Also, if you want some reais on hand before going, try and call your bank and see if they can order it. Unfortunately, my bank only does the major currency players, and Brasil isn't included. :(

5. John GUtke

John GUtke Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Colombia
    Apr 3, 2014
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I already bought a bunch of Reias that I will bring with me in Brazil - got them at my local Chase Bank for the market exchange rate. I've been to Brazil before and from my experience all of the exchanges ("Cambios" - look for them, they are around all city centers and in most banks) will charge a bit of a fee or give you a worse exchange rate than what you could probably get right now. Plus, I expect the rate to creep up once the Cup begins and demand for Reais takes off due to the influx of international tourists. So hopefully by buying my Reais in advance I will have created some money out of thin air. You never know with exchange rates, though.

6. chunnerz

chunnerz Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Why is inside of an airport bad? Is it a safety thing or a ATM fee thing?

When traveling that's the only place usually where I take out money

7. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    For all of them: safety.
    Scamming is common in these ATMs, lots of cards get cloned.

8. fitzy1717

fitzy1717 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On a serious note...How much will it cost me for a PINT in Reais :)

9. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Depends on how good you want the beer to be. Anything from 3 reais to 30 reais.
    By the way, we don't measure in pint. The closest you get is the bigger can (which is actually a pint), and 600ml bottles.

10. fitzy1717

fitzy1717 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    $3 reais is fine with me!

obrigado!

11. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    With beer available at less than a quid, I believe quality will not be an important factor in the decision making of most England fans, especially after the first two or three.

Personally I intend to find good beer, at least on occasion.

12. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Dirty-cheap beers, yeah. Itaipava, Devassa and so forth. Best selling beers here cost from 4 (on supermarkets) to 8 (on restaurants). They're worse than regular British largers, however. These are the likes of Brahma, Skol, and such. A bit more expensive (2 reais more) and better, you can find Bohemia, Antarctica Original, Heineken. But things really start getting good with Eisenbahn and the like. But that's already ~14 reais in a supermarket for 2 small bottles (around a pint).

13. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Mate. Have you seen England fans en masse at away games? You could sell them piss for six quid a pint (that's what they do at Wembley) and they would still buy it. So if someone is selling piss for a quid, there'll be a queue.

Pablorango and lucasc repped this.
  14. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    But what about good beer bars in Sao Paulo. I see you're going to games there. I have heard good things about Cerevejaria d'Ofio. Any good? Where else? I am staying at the Ibis in Jardins, so a stumble home to there would be good.

15. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I don't have even near enough knowledge of São Paulo to recommend anything, sorry. You better refer to the guys in the São Paulo thread, they've discussed that quite a bit.

16. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Could one of the mods/admins move the posts about banking from the WC tickets thread?

17. HeartFan1

HeartFan1 New Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Having been to Brazil last year, my recommendation would be to have a couple of cards, at both a Mastercard/VISA. A lot of ATMs were temperamental and would only take certain cards so you don't want to be caught out.

PS if you're going to Argentina before hand, bring A LOT of USD.

lucasc repped this.
  18. Memo Alfaro

Memo Alfaro Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll be travelling through Argentina for two weeks before the WC kick off. I appreciate if you share the reasons as to why I need to bring a lot of USD to Argentina. I had considered to bring a few hundreds USD in hand as I plan to primarily use my CC and withdraw cash from ATM with my debit card.

I learnt that Argentina has recently altered restrictions on buying USD.
    http://rt.com/business/argentina-dollar-purchase-limits-295/

Thank you for sharing any learnings/experience regarding USD and getting Argentina pesos.

Thank you

19. tRucHo-

tRucHo- Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    i will be definitely doing the same. will go to a local chase, got a friend who works there as well + no fees.

20. rplens

rplens Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I would exchange some reais for dollars without fees for sure.
    I am based in Sao Paulo.
    If anyone is interested please PM me.

21. jamfactoryken

jamfactoryken Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter, England
    Club:
    Fulham FC
  22. HeartFan1

HeartFan1 New Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/jan/24/argentina-peso-devaluation-blue-dollar-tourism
    this gives you a pretty good run down of the state of play in Argentina - not saying you use the market if you don't want but we had a lot of USD on us and many places accepted USD. At the end of the day, you don't want to be stuck with a currency that not a lot of people are going to take, pay in USD (As it's readily accepted) and even if you're stuck with excess, you'll be able to change for Reals in Brazil.

When I went there, I'd transferred at the official rate for Pesos before hand and had a tour booked in advance so didn't take advantage of it.

23. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    i will exchange some money with my bank before leaving too probably so i have like R$200 on the time i arrive

well i have a maestro debit card and a mastercard credit card i hope to find atm's that accept my debit card if i believe the atm map by mastercard apparently the nearest bank to where i stay that is suppised to take either card is a bradesco branch if i remember correctly 24horas atm's should work as well as citybank (those only seem to exist in the bigger cities though probably the hostcities all count as bigger cities though).
    I read that banco do brasil will always take visa even in the smallest village that has a banco do brasil you can go in there with a foreign visa and will be able to get money idk if it is true just what i read won't work with non-visa however.

It all probably also depends on the card provider but looking wether the atm has the symbol you need eg maestro seems key

24. MFKS78

MFKS78 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This was posted in the other thread that we were discussing this stuff in that we shouldn't have been

Never quite made it to the store today before it closed but looking at it this may well be worth looking at

My Bank were offering
    $AUD 100 >> BR$179 + the fees for foreign conversion which would be the 3%

So basically for AUD$103 I would get BR$179

According to the STA website where there is a box in the bottom corner on the right side
    there offer appears to be

$AUD 100 >> BR$194 and no fees for foreign conversion other than 1% to load on

So basically for AUD$101 I would get BR$194

I may be missing something here so don't jump the gun yet but the thing does appear to be quite promising and requires further research just to clarify that rate is actually right