World Cup legends/heroes in history by variety of sources

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by JamesBH11, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL, if it makes you feel better :cool: It would take me the rest of the year to count how many arguments I have won against you :D

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I give you time (10years) and even I can cry to the mod to help you that ... agree? ;):laugh:

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @PuckVanHeel - My memory does not fail me:

on World Cup 1954 final loss

Sadly, it was Hungary who beat Hungary that day, not Germany. Most people
    put the blame on Puskas for wanting to play, but no manager in the world
    would not let a player of his caliber play after he declared himself fit.
    After beating Uruguay, the manager (Gusztav Sebes) already declared the team
    WC champions, and the players bought into this. He allowed the team to screw
    around the last two days before the final, no practices and lots of
    partying. He also allowed the players' wives to join them (unheard of,
    therefore routine breaking, until then), those who were single were allowed
    to look for prostitutes. (Zakarias did not get in until 6 am, Lantos until 8
    am, yet nothing was said. Zakarias never played for Hungary again, but only
    because the team lost.) Sebes also played Czibor on the right side, thinking
    that he matches up with Kohlmayer more favorably, and played his son-in-law,
    Mihaly Toth, at left wing. Mihaly Toth was never in the same class as a
    player, even as the manager's son-in-law, he only played for Hungary 3
    times. Then at half-time he switched the two, sending the message that he
    screwed up to begin with. While two world-class right wings were on the
    bench. At half-time he was also badmouthing the players who were not playing
    (I think he wanted to build up the ones who were), but the players did not
    buy this approach. Kocsis (who was also rumoured to have spent the night
    with a woman, and despite scoring 11 goals up to that point, had a lousy
    first half) remarked: "We could have won this ****ing WC." (Remember, this
    was at half-time, with the score at 2-2!) Budai (one of the right wings not
    playing), who was interviewed on Hungarian radio at half time was more
    diplomatic, but he also took the German victory for granted already. People
    in Hungary started gathering on the streets at half-time, and not to
    celebrate! A full-scale riot broke out about the time the players were
    receiving their silver medals. (Only brasilians can relate to this.)

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=265676&page=8

This is from someone who was part of the Hungarian delegation at WC54, a true insider. Reading that thread, it appears the BigSoccer poster @RoyOfTheRovers had much interaction online with him.

RoyOfTheRovers and Once repped this.
  4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    JamesBH11 repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #31 JamesBH11, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    First bold, it was nasty to the truth. Puskas was heart and soul of the team and was like "forced" to play that game (win WC) in his peak career.

Puskas was still easily the 2nd best player of that day behind Cziborg in attack.
    Puskas swapped with Hidegkuti position .. as he was much slower (still painful)
    Kocis was surely way below his best ... as a 11goals scorer up to that game! Yes (probably he did sneak out with girls)

Puskas (half injured) scored 2goals and could have gotten a pk (dribble between 3 Germans in the box, and Liebrich was like clumsily stumbing and falling into Puskas to get the ball off his control and ready to shoot) Of course the REF waived on ...

Last bold, I heard this before ... but no proofs ... per se - hard to conclude as it goes eitehr way.

Bottom line: Hungary was robbed the title ... (by the ref or Germany Mafia power?)

7. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Football is like history - everything is there for one to search and to know, not like "technology" that people are like "wow" I learn something new or "up to date" OK?

unless one day Football will be playing with 100men and use their mouth? then I will probably start fresh and "learn" LOL

9. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    o_O The sport of football and its history holds no secrets for you James. Got it.
    Do you or dont you have a link to a full match version of the 1954 final? Was only able to find highlights in youtube. Would really like to see the full game.

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I got a copy of full game in my video tapes collection (LOL) , everytime I played back those tapes, my heart was pounding as many were grinding by my old machine already!
    but I think I saw one good highlight in youtube - I will post if I see one.

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    He doesn't have it. Even more delusional than Pipiolo.

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    remember this? .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

.. oufff ... of course not ... as it was well described by Dr Kruger

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others

======================================
    On would have no wonder why Schwuppe knows about this sickness - why no many does

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah, I dont think so either...

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you guys can go ahead and open a new thread of "who is suffered more of Dunning-Kruger symptoms" LOL

=============================================
    Now that Puskas was found in TOP10 best WC players in 2 sources ... live with that ...

2nd thought I do not think you need to watch that game ... anyway ...

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the only manner in which @schwuppe gets reps, by attacking one of the posters on an argument and then the other reps him for "backup". Nifty strategy you got there, Bucko :sleep:

They were robbed by "capitalism", they couldn't let the chance go to have lots of unabashed fun, even if the WC final happened to be the next day. I think everyone agrees Hungary was the greater team than Germany but the circumstances made them lose. (I bet had they played a rematch two days later Hungary would have easily won it).

Why not? I would also like to watch the entire match, you can transfer your video tape to digital and then upload it for everyone to watch :thumbsup:

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Ok " For you eyes only"

this is the best youtube link, not full games but almost every highlight of each attack from both sides

Now if you think 10.95$ is worthy a game (LOL) and enjoy it.
    By the time I know how to record and transfer to DVD it might cost you 100$ LOL

1954 FIFA World Cup - Germany vs Hungary - Final Match
    Quantity
    99 Items in stock
    $10.00
    http://www.worldsoccerdvd.com/store/index.php?id_product=5&controller=product&id_lang=1

babaorum and Pipiolo repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    @Pipiolo,
    I rep Schwuppe for a new "term" and new "disease" that I never know before ... (look back nothing to do with your name on that comment of mine)

18. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Thats not the full game either, James. Its a 40 minute review of the 1954 WC final with commentaries in German... Probably what one can see in youtube...

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This sounds like a load of bollocks to be honest.

These rumours have only surfaced from someone on a message board?

Meanwhile the Hungarian wives were all taken over to Switzerland at the time? Hungary was a communist country behind the Iron Curtain. Puskas and co had to smuggle back lots of goods which were unavailable inside Hungary at the time. But for this one last huge game the Hungarian authorities paid for them all to travel over to disrupt the plans of Sebes?

Or the wives travelled under their own steam to Switzerland?

Remember this was a tournament which England and Scotland didn't even take full squads to because of cost. But the Hungarians had enough money to take all the wives along?

Like I say, this sounds beyond far fetched.

The highlights are pretty clear from watching them. Hungary bossed the game, had far more chances, went close on a number of occasions. Turek made some tremendous saves, Kohlmeyer made some great blocks. 9 times out of 10 they would have won that game given their chances and the quality of their play.

The stuff about Puskas' injury is also overblown. He scored one goal, was charging through at the end to score another which was disallowed dubiously for offside. He also had one sublime dummy which set up a couple of great chances for Toth. He probably wasn't in peak condition but he did well.

Having said that his position in all World Cup lists is overblown. On the World Cup alone he's not a top 100 player IMO.

JamesBH11 and Tom Stevens repped this.
  20. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

I doubt this very much. From my experience of game collecting clearly there has yet to surface a complete version of the 1954 World Cup final. It would be major news to collectors (and sports media, too) if there ever was to be found a complete 90-minute version.

frasermc and comme repped this.
  21. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
  22. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Some information from the "spielverlagerung" analysis:

Shots on goal (on target)
    Germany 15 (10)
    Hungary 26 (16)

Blocked shots
    Germany 8
    Hungary 7

Fouls
    Germany 10
    Hungary 7

Corners
    Germany 7
    Hungary 5

Off-sides
    Germany 9
    Hungary 3

23. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    This comment sounded down putting to me as it was. As if wanting to unearth whatever that was said about it back then would be a bad thing (and I did bother to clarify that in any case it was the opinion a one reporter anyways!). But if this below is true

... then it was a rather low and uncalled for thing to say from your part, James.

24. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    The reporter for Mundo Deportivo present at the 1954 WC final was a guy named A. Merce Varela. On the July 5, 1954 edition of MD (page 3 I think) he writes the following (I focus on the relevant parts):

Starts by talking about the surprising result given that the Hungarians were unanimously seen as favorites due to the technical advantage and general superiority of their players. He then highlights the role of Sepp Herberger in the final victory and deems him the best manager of the tournament. Also enphazises on the physical prowess of all the German footballers.

"How did Germany manage to win?
    First and foremost it was right on the money the way they placed their players on the field in the only manner they could have had a chance to stop the Hungarians. And even with two goals conceded after nine minutes they stuck to their gameplan, which ultimately took them to the triumph. It also has to be said that the two Hungarian goals were a result of good fortune rather than of master plays from their aces. Likewise, luck was on the German side later on with two balls that hit the crossbar when Turek could not have done anything about it.
    With such adverse start Germany did the only thing they could have done to win: attack. Consolidated in defense with the constant correctness in judgement and perfect interventions by Liebrich - the best player of the game - their insiders in perfect interpretation of the attacking WM have generated enough football to tie the game.
    Then in the second half and counting on the Hungarian reaction the Germans closed up lines and intensified marking. Fruitless were the constant runs of Puskas (in an unfortunate and impotent reappearance) and Kocsis, or the incisive game of the red wingers. The German marking and defensive moves was done with precision. The Germanic defensive wall was hard to beat. And then when it did happen, there was an inspired Turek behind it. With such defensive solidity and the quick attacks of their forward line Germany was the champion."

Then he says the final was a rough, strong and manly game.

"How the Hungarians played:
    In my view the fielding of Puskas was a huge mistake. The magyar phenom was not recovered from the injury Liebrich had caused him in their previous meeting. This afternoon Puskas missed three scoring chances due to a visible reduction of his faculties. I am sure a Puskas in normal conditions would not have wasted them. He did score the first Hungarian goal, but it also was evident that a spell of impotence confused his plays and prevented them from ending the way Puskas has made us all used to. With their quality subs it is very possible that without Puskas the red team would have offered a different performance this afternoon. Puskas was not the one I saw in previous games. Kocsis has played really well. Two headers of his could only be rejected by the crossbar, and so they were in the two plays the Germans were the most fortunate. His determined movement with the ball were trully sensational. Besides some strokes of brilliance his continuity throughout the game make Kocsis one of the best Hungarian players of the game. Hidegkuti ran out of gas in the second half. Tired due to the heavy pitch and the extreme pace of the first 30 minutes he missed in the last minute the chance to force extending the game. The wingers, Czibor better than Toth. Incisive and with sense of goal, but maybe lacking effectivness in the last meters. In midfield Bozsik was the best Hungarian man. In the most brilliant Hungarian moments it was him who shone. In defense it was Lorant who best managed to keep O. Walter (very mobile, quick and powerful) in check. Keeper Grocics had nothing to do in the three German goals and in the second half saved a shot with goal written all over it to the very corner of the goalmouth."

"How the Germans played:
    Lieberich was their star and the revelation of this tournament. Today he has perfectly shown how a central defender must play against a particularly dangerous defense like the Hungarian. Extraordinary anticipation sense. Skillfull and able to move with ease despite his 89 kilo frame, saved a lot of work for Turek as countless shots by Puskas bounced off of him. To his right and left were two tough, sticky and tireless fullbacks. Not to mention Turek's work behind them. The German midfielders received a lot of help from their insiders, particularly F. Walter, even when it was Eckel who contained Puskas when the Hungarian played as insider. When the match was 0-2 it was been the German forwards that went with maximum tenacity for all the balls with decision, audacity and manliness, three conditions the Hungarian forwards have lacked. The two hardworkers of the line have naturally been the insiders, who have put on outstanding performances. F. Walter, the director of the German attack, has always started out from deeper, right in between the two midfielders while Morlock completed the link with the advanced forwards. O. Waler, a heavy striker of easy dribbling and constant movement has given hell to the Hungarian defenders who have struggled to stop the advances of the white insiders and wingers. Rahn on the right side has been the most brilliant and effective. Besides scoring twice including the victory goal, he has constantly given the impression of being able to resolve the match with one of his fast and infiltrating runs with splashes of short dribbles and effective ground passing. Really notable."

There is some more, but I dont have time now and I dont think its that relevant.

25. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    "ofense" :oops: