World Cup Individual Advanced Stats

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by schwuppe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gregoriak,

Platini scored two goals, not three.

Also, Giresse had three assists : 1 vs England for Solers, 1 vs Kuweit for Platini, 1 vs Germany for Tresor. It seems that OPTA made a mistake here.

2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Thanks for pointing out! I have amended that.

3. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    1982 is now revised with new positions for Lato (MF instead of FW), Zico (FW instead of MF) & Robertson (MF instead of FW). Also Babaorum's suggestions have been amended. #

Lato drops from 26 points to 5 points. Nottingham Forest legend Robertson is now completely out of the picture (good job, PDG :thumbsup: ;) ) and Zico has skyrocketed to no. 1!

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why are you able to amend your posts after 20 minutes?

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, hopefully when Zico discovers the next Brazilian superstar he will recommend him to Forest as compensation ;). Although Lato might find a new Gentile to play against him as retribution (or Gorgon if we're keeping it Polish - I thought him and Zmuda were generally cleaner and less scary than Gentile though as evidenced indeed in the 1982 World Cup!).

Robertson was only just oustide the mark for chances created per xy minutes to be fair in both the midfield and forward categories.

Socrates seems to have few points but I think he may be fairly close on a few measures to a top 5 place.

6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    For Peru 1978, G.La Rosa was the striker, for sure.
    Also interesting, to see Quesada rated so highly, when he was sub and the nest performances were in 1st phase with the trio: Cueto-Velasquez-Cubillas

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think I meant duels% won actually, but he is close on chances created per xy minutes to the Frenchmen Platini and Giresse while he must've been getting some points on that category as an attacker until my intervention lol, as well as a passing category IIRC.
    He had 11 chances created in 270 minutes.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very good remark Baba-
    Greg,

We should also revise the "assist" criteria to adjust the number accordingly and fairly (across the board).
    What I meant is that to FIFA(implying to OPTA?) that a cause to a PK and a FK is not counted as an assist which I think unfair ... Causing a FK might be exempt but a pk is certainly a goal for the team and it should be counted. Just my perception and if agree I think everyone can help to add up the number for their(favorite) players that they remember doing so.

9. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thank you schwuppe, comme, and Gregoriak, fantastic work.

Could it be that those ratings are in part determined by how each individual performance affected the team's results? For instance, although Jairzinho appears to have the overall statistical advantage, I can see where Romario had the edge in terms of "goal share" (Romario scored or assisted 6 of his team's 11 goals [55%] in the 1994 tournament, while Jairzinho scored or assisted 8 of his teams 19 goals [42%] in 1970) and game-winning goals (Romario '94 scored 3 game-winning goals and 1 equalizer, vs. only 1 game-winning goal by Jairzinho '70). Either way, their ratings are fairly close.

10. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    pele:
    20 fouls won
    23 fouls committed
    0 yellow cards

gerd müller:
    14 fouls won
    4 fouls committed
    2 yellow cards

i agree yellow card rules later became more serious..however the stats of pele and müller (same tournament ) are huge diffrent...

have you ever seen the game italy-germany 1970...if yes... have you ever analyzed the game and the doublestandart referee yamasaki has used in his calls???

i have recently seen the game germany-italy 1970......(müller got yellow cards against england and italy using my recources....)

there excist videofootage of the whole game but no videofootage where yamasaki has yellow carded gerd müller....iam relativ sure it wasnt for a foul..müller has not committed a foul in this game i think...maybe some can confirm that....

in minute 70 of the game uwe seeler blatant was denid a penalty..(bertini has hold him and has tripped him)...after this action videofootage shows yamasaki has a yellow card in his hand...so i think after the denid penalty good possible gerd müller has complained and he got a yellow card (however still speculativ without videoproov)...but iam very optimistic this was the reason....we must put in perspective only 1-2 cameras was used back in this days...so not every action is visible ..

the denid penalty is not excusable....yamasaki has called 4 fouls uwe seeler did in the italien penalty box in this game ...if we use the criteria yamasaki has used to call fouls against seeler so seeler was denid 2 penaltys and not one....there was olso a action in the german penalty box worth to mention ...riva has bodychecked voigts with his hip and ellboy...no foul call...this was worster than what seeler did in his actions.....yamasaki has used to call action against german player grabowski for a action albertosi kicked the the ball against him....only albertosi was responsable..the ball nearly has crossed the goaline...another doublestandart of mr yamasaki..another call against the germans in the italian penalty box....nobody knew why..seeler has shaked his head,müller dont knew why this call...

minute 45 of the game....sepp maier has saved a not dangerous shot...his next action was kicking the ball away..sepp maier has made 6 or 7 steps forward...yamasaki has remembered a rule where doesent allow that..never seen in wc such a action was called against a team....freekick italy in the german penaltyzone in injury time....a dangerous action for the germans...after this action the first half was over...

de sorsi has received in extratime a yellow card for a foul....however , good possible, the most blatant and ugly wresling action in wc history (de sorsi against grabowski), was not worth a yellow card ...this has saved de sorsi to be send off...

minute 17...foul against beckenbauer in the penalty box..no call....

every action in the italiean penalty box the whole game was in favor of italy...

minute 65 ,foul against beckenbauer....(where beckenbauer has suffred his injury)..some .germans have complained...in defensive of yamasaki ,the action was outside of the penaltybox so his call was right...overath has picked up a yellow card for complaining....a still bit angry müller moved to mr. yamaski to pick up the ball (freekick germany)..the ball was in front of mr. yamsaki feets...he didnt like müllers action and kicked the ball away..müller looked at him in disbelieve.....

here the actions where brasil has scored the 1:0 gamewinning goal against england....

tostao has used his ellbow and hit in face of a english player...uncalled...i think we are all united and agree, brasil was lucky this foul wasnt called...pele assist,jair the gamewinning goal..

ChaChaFut repped this.
  11. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    While I am preparing the 1986 overview file of players, I noticed that Preben Elkjaer-Larsen was not involved in a single aerial duel in any of the 1986 games! I find that just incredible, had to share it.

12. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Everyone, please check the positions of the following players of the 1986 World Cup:

Alain Giresse MF
    Bruno Conti MF
    Careca FW
    Diego Maradona FW
    Edinho DF
    Elzo MF
    Emilio Butragueno FW
    Felix Magath MF
    Fernando Quirarte DF
    Gary Lineker FW
    Jean Tigana MF
    Jorge Valdano FW
    Jose Brown DF
    Jose Burrachaga MF
    Jose Cuciuffo DF
    Julio Cesar DF
    Karlheinz Förster DF
    Lothar Matthäus MF
    Manuel Amoros DF
    Manuel Negrete MF
    Maxime Bossis DF
    Michel Platini MF
    Nico Claesen FW
    Oscar Ruggeri DF
    Patrick Battiston DF
    Raul Servin DF
    Sergio Batista MF
    Guendouz DF
    Kourichi DF
    Liegeon DF
    Magharia DF
    Mansouri DF
    Belloumi MF
    Mabrouk MF
    Kaci MF
    Maroc MF
    Assad FW
    Harkouk FW
    Madjer FW
    Menad FW
    Zidane FW
    Garre DF
    Borghi MF
    Enrique MF
    Giusti MF
    Olarticoechea MF
    Pasculli FW
    Broos DF
    De Wolf DF
    Demol DF
    Gerets DF
    Grün DF
    Renquin DF
    Ceulemans MF
    Desmet MF
    Mommens MF
    Scifo MF
    F.van der Elst MF
    Vandereycken MF
    Vercauteren MF
    Vervoort MF
    Veyt FW
    Boaro DF
    Junior DF
    Josimar DF
    Branco DF
    Socrates MF
    Alemao MF
    Casagrande FW
    Müller FW
    Arabov DF
    Dimitrov DF
    A.Markov DF
    Petrov DF
    Zdravkov DF
    Getov MF
    Gospodinov MF
    Iordanov MF
    Sadkov MF
    Yeliazkov MF
    Iskrenov FW
    Kostadinov FW
    Mladenov FW
    Sirakov FW
    Bridge DF
    Lenarduzzi DF
    Samuel DF
    Wilson DF
    Gray MF
    James MF
    Norman MF
    Ragan MF
    Valentine FW
    Vrablic FW
    Andersen DF
    Busk DF
    Nielsen DF
    M.Olsen DF
    Sivebaek DF
    Arnesen MF
    Berggren MF
    Bertelsen MF
    M.Laudrup MF
    Lerby MF
    Mølby MF
    J.Olsen MF
    Elkjaer-Larsen FW
    Butcher DF
    Fenwick DF
    Sansom DF
    G.Stevens DF
    Hoddle MF
    Hodge MF
    Reid MF
    Robson MF
    Steven MF
    Waddle MF
    Wilkins MF
    Beardsley FW
    Hateley FW
    Ayache DF
    Bibard DF
    Fernandez MF
    Ferreri MF
    Genghini MF
    Tusseau MF
    Vercruysse MF
    Bellone FW
    Papin FW
    Rocheteau FW
    Stopyra FW
    Augenthaler DF
    Berthold DF
    Brehme DF
    N.Eder DF
    Jakobs DF
    Briegel MF
    Littbarski MF
    Rolff MF
    Allofs FW
    Rummenigge FW
    Völler FW
    Kardos DF
    Roth DF
    Sallai DF
    Varga DF
    Detari MF
    Garaba MF
    Kiprich MF
    A.Nagy MF
    Bognar FW
    Burcsa FW
    Dajka FW
    Esterhazy FW
    Al Roubai DF
    Allawi DF
    Mahmoud DF
    Minshid DF
    Salim DF
    Abidoun MF
    Basil MF
    Hassan MF
    Shibab MF
    Amaiesh FW
    Bergomi DF
    Cabrini DF
    Scirea DF
    Vierchowod DF
    Bagni MF
    De Napoli MF
    Di Gennaro MF
    Altobelli FW
    Galderisi FW
    R.Flores DF
    Felix Cruz DF
    Trejo DF
    Boy MF
    Espana MF
    Munoz MF
    Los Cobos MF
    Aguirre MF
    L.Flores FW
    H.Sanchez FW
    Bouyahiaoui DF
    El Bayaz DF
    Lamris DF
    Oadani DF
    Bouderbala MF
    Dolmy MF
    El Hadaoui MF
    Khairi MF
    Labd MF
    Timoumi MF
    Krimau FW
    Merry FW
    Donaghy DF
    McDonald DF
    J.Nicholl DF
    J.O'Neill DF
    Worthington DF
    McCreery MF
    McIlroy MF
    Clarke FW
    Hamilton FW
    Penney FW
    Stewart FW
    Whiteside FW
    Delgado DF
    Nunes DF
    Schetina DF
    Torales DF
    Zabala DF
    Canete MF
    Ferreira MF
    Guasch MF
    Cabanas FW
    Mendoza FW
    Romero FW
    Majewski DF
    Ostrowski DF
    Pawlak DF
    Przybys DF
    Wojcicki DF
    Buncol MF
    Dziekanowski MF
    Karas MF
    Komornicki MF
    Matysik MF
    Boniek FW
    Smolarek FW
    Urban FW
    Frederico DF
    Inacio DF
    Alvaro DF
    Oliveira DF
    Andre MF
    Manuel MF
    Diamantino MF
    Antonio Sousa MF
    Magalhaes MF
    Pacheco MF
    Gomes FW
    Gough DF
    Malpas DF
    Miller DF
    Narey DF
    Nicol DF
    Aitken MF
    Souness MF
    Strachan MF
    Nicholas FW
    Sturrock FW
    Yon Hwan Jung DF
    Kyung Joon Park DF
    Kwang Rae Cho MF
    Min Kook Cho MF
    Young Jeung Cho MF
    Soon Ho Choi MF
    Jung Moo Huh MF
    Chang Sun Park MF
    Byung Ho Byun FW
    Bum Kun Cha FW
    Joo Sung Kim FW
    Camacho DF
    Goikoetxea DF
    Julio Alberto DF
    Chendo DF
    Tomas DF
    Caldere MF
    R.Gallego MF
    Michel MF
    Francisco MF
    Senor MF
    Victor MF
    Eloy FW
    Salinas FW
    Acevedo DF
    Jose Alberto Batista DF
    Diogo DF
    Gutierrez DF
    Pereira DF
    Barrios MF
    Bossio MF
    Santin MF
    Saralegui MF
    Alzamendi FW
    Cabrera FW
    Jorge Da Silva FW
    Francescoli FW
    Ramos FW
    Bessonov DF
    Demyanenko DF
    Kusnetzov DF
    Larionov DF
    Aleinikov MF
    Bal MF
    Rats MF
    Yakovenko MF
    Yaremchuk MF
    Yevtushenko MF
    Zavarov MF
    Belanov FW

13. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Can be seen here starting at 01:46:

14. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Hey man, it's too late now. The damage is done already. Nothing's gonna bring Robertson back into the picture again! You did a terrific job there. :thumbsup::ROFLMAO::p

15. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Paying membership (12 USD per year, paid via paypal).

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was trying to check if Boniek should be a MF (I did watch some of the England-Poland game on TV not long ago, and I couldn't recall absolutely but thought he might have been playing in MF).
    However I found a reference to him playing sweeper (pretty sure he wasn't playing sweeper vs England though - I would say either CM or SS/CF):
    http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/boniek.html

I can't give a definate answer on all the players, but any I can say are in the wrong category I'll do it now rather than after the lists are compiled. As mentioned before, not really sure about Laudrup and/or Maradona but maybe I'd have them in the same category personally.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The same PlanetWorldCup website does list him as a MF btw in the squad/match details. Maybe he played one game or some minutes as sweeper?

18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Too bad that this got a rep.

I can also imagine/create a cry-story about the 1966 World Cup and how your team progressed thanks to help from the FIFA. With hidden positive tests, invisible handballs, cheap red cards and re-winded suspensions.
    That your team won more fouls than they committed in 1970 does not support your story too. Maybe they should have received even more calls in their favour, who knows, but just like Argentina in 1978 your team won more fouls than they lost.

Unfortunately, Italy was tired in the final. Italy was already tired in the semi-final btw.

Some facts:

Your despised Yamasaki gave three yellow cards to Italy and two to Germany.

Yamasaki whistled 36 times for an Italian foul and 20 times for a German foul.

Italy made 25 attempts, Germany 49 attempts.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That's a good spot. That Denmark side never really hoofed it forwards I guess and he wasn't a target for high crosses either (more for slid through balls).
    You mean I can't put him forward for 'cigarretes smoked per successful dribble'? I think he tied Cruyff's record from '74!

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think should Junior be MF for '86:
    This should confirm it though I guess - Branco was the left-back I'm pretty sure (or others with detailed knowledge of Brazil in that World Cup can comment):

He was playing as a midfielder in Serie A too by that time I believe.

Zico has less than 100 minutes so I guess that's why he's excluded (90 minutes exactly apparently) so I can't ask for him to be taken out of the forwards and put into the midfielders :laugh:. I did notice he had 100% shot accuracy though 50% of that will be a saved penalty (he did get a nice assist though for Muller IIRC, and it was his pass that resulted in Branco being brought down before the penalty miss so maybe that's a 'chance created' or maybe not as Branco didn't get a shot off:confused:).

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Zico assist was for Careca sorry - I thought so after typing so did a check on PlanetWorldCup - in the Northern Ireland game.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes indeed Junior was a MF in a 4 2 2 2 formation at WC86, though he was playing as a LB in WC82.

At WC86:
    Junior was playing in place of Zico - who was on the side line due to injuries not recovered

---------------------------- Careca ---------------
    ----------- Muller --------------------------------
    ------------------------------------ Socrates------
    ------ Junior --------------------------------------
    --------------------------- Alemao ----------------
    -------------- Elzo --------------------------------
    Branco ----------------------------------- Josimar
    ------------- J.Cesar -------- Edinho---------------
    -------------------- Carlos -------------------------

With Zico in, Muller will be more up left and Alemao (or Junior) will be a DM fulltime

PDG1978 repped this.
  23. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Very good catch with Junior! I think this might also show that Opta didn't use a heatmap for the positions but just stuck to a position regardless of the player being used differently in later World Cup editions.

I noticed that Opta has Enzo Francescoli among the forwards (also Igor Belanov). Always had him down as a midfield maestro? Did he play more advanced in 1986 so that it is justified to have him remain in the forward category or would midfielder be more suited to Francescoli?

Another thing is that by the mid-80s several "wing backs" appeared, it's rather difficult to classify them as either defenders or midfielders.

PDG1978 repped this.
  24. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    They did:
    'And every bit of data has a time stamp and an x/y co-ordinate, allowing for detailed analysis using touchmaps, heatmaps and average position information.'
    http://www.optasports.com/en/showcase-pages/historical-world-cup-data.aspx

Confused why they got position wrong then.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm wondering if they are including 'average position information' as an extra feature of their analysis (not used for the data in the widget but as an interpretation from the heatmaps - I'm really not sure though). So, maybe they didn't allocate the positions based on it - I'm not sure but that statement doesn't say 'and we used that information to allocate a role of either GK, DF, MF or FW'...:confused:

Breitner in 1982 seems an example where the heatmap shouldn't show him playing mostly in defence. I could maybe believe that 'average position information' might decide Lato and Gadocha in 1974 were midfielders though I'd be surprised given it was a definate 4-3-3 Poland played rather than 4-5-1 IMO and from what I've seen Lato and Gadocha spent a lot of time high up the field, but surely not Breitner a defender in 1982 (Gregoriak will be more clued-up than me on his exact role in each game but he's already made the same comment). If the heatmap did decide he was a defender it'd still be wrong I think as he lined-up as a midfielder, although it would be an interesting theory to decide position not on starting position but on time spent in various areas - I just can't believe that he would appear to be a defender from the heatmap info though.