World Cup Draw - Australia draw Spain, the Netherlands and Chile in Group B

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Quicky, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok, guys all we have to do is crush feeble Chile in sweltering Cuiaba, tread on some clogs in Porto Alegre and lose with dignity to Spain.

Easy.

Quicky repped this.
  3. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Best of luck, you have a uphill battle but nothing's impossible. Make AFC proud.

Quicky repped this.
  4. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I actually think this is a good draw for the Socceroos. They were never going to do very well anyway and at least now nobody will expect them to do much. It's a very good draw for Ang as he can now pick a team with the 2015 Asian Cup in mind and get that team some good competitive experience. If we ended up in an easy group where there could have been some chance of making it through to the next round, like any of the groups the other 3 Asian teams ended up in, then Ang would have still had to have taken the older experienced players because they may have been able to scrape us over the line. With today's draw we can say goodbye to anyone who will not be important for the 2015 Asian Cup, go to Brazil with a fresh team with no pressure on coach or players to perform miracles, and come back with experience to go on and win the Asian Cup.
    Maybe we snag an upset, but at least nothing more then last in the group is expected.
    I'm sure the FFA are glad they didn't go after some High-paid short term european coach now. Because no matter who was in charge and no matter what team we sent its highly unlikely we getting out of this group.

Although being drawn in the B4 position is best chance of anything in this group. Hope Spain knock over both Chile and Holland in the 1st 2 games, and Australia gets a point from either of its 1st 2 games, then coming into the Spain vs Australia match, Spain will have already qualified and may take it a bit easy. If Australia manages to draw with both Chile and Holland, Spain beat both Chile and Holland, they may even let Australia win to knock out one of the strong teams having already sown up top spot and avoided Brazil in the next round.

5. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Jeeeez. This is going to be different compared to 2006 and 2010... just going to enjoy it for what it is. No adrenaline rushes or high hopes like the matches against Japan/Croatia and Ghana/Serbia . Competitive football is all I want to see.

I'd love the other Asian teams to do well but I can't see it happening. Japan might sneak into the next round and face Italy. If Korea sneak through they'll face Germany. Our mates the USA will have a tough time of it as well.

Sit back and enjoy, I guess.

6. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm ********ing pumped. We have drawn some the best footballing nations, with such fantastic footballing pedigree and culture. No one gives us a chance. Remember much worse was predicted for us in 74' when we drew both Germany's and Chile. We were far from embarrassed and got a point out of the Chile game. One thing you can't take away from us is that we are fearless and won't drop our heads. Now it's time to stick it up em true Aussie style!

7. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Must admit I did laugh at this haha
    [​IMG]

teammellieIRANfan and el-capitano repped this.
  8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We must be one of the only teams in the world with a 1-2-0 record against the Dutch, so yes its very difficult, but its not impossible. Spain, well, you never know. ;) They are the last game and they may have already qualified, but then again, they might be desperate for a win- whatever happens its going to be a fun World Cup with no expectations.

Chile we should be able to match with. Our ranking isn't a true representation of where we should be, so that first game is the marker. If we can steal a win then we're in with a shot. A draw doesn't help. A loss, well then we're ********ed. :D

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Australia kangaroo really seem to enjoy it. :D

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More on the digs our team is going to have:

[​IMG]

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...d-cup-base-camp-in-brazil-20131208-2yz7s.html

Quicky and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  11. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Seriously, I see an upset win over either Chile or Holland, draw with the other team and maybe a gutless 0-0 draw in the last game with Spain who is already through with two wins at the top of the group saving their best players for the next round. Australia may pull it off as runners-up in the group. It may come down to Spain's desire and how lucky Australia gets with Chile or Holland. Drawing Spain as the last game is a good thing.

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm not sure what would be "gutless" about securing 0-0 against a Spanish reserve side full of talentless also-rans like "Juan Mata", "Javi Martinez", "Alvaro Negredo" etc.

All of those guys, (if those are their real names) are going to be trying to force their way into the first team, and if we've already upset one or both of Chile and Holland they won't be cutting us any slack.

We can't count on anything from Spain, our aim has to be to be to beat Holland and Chile - there's a chance these Iberian bastards might even gift those bastards points.

13. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    American passing through. Just wanted to mention how great Tim Cahill has been playing for NYRB and that with Falcao going down and likely out of the WC, your chances are somewhat improved.

But all of us English-speaking countries are really up against it in the group stage I'd say. Can't wait.

14. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Except Falcao is Colombian, so that helps Japan rather than Australia!

It's certainly a tough group for the Aussies with many of the experienced players now somewhat ageing. But you never know - sometimes the lower the expectations the better the end result. Nicking something against Chile isn't against the realms of possibility and then you're off and running.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    el-capitano repped this.