World Cup Contest

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by gringolimon, Nov 22, 2013.

1. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My Fellow Soccer Fanatics:

Once again, I'm doing a prediction contest for the upcoming World Cup. It will consist of predicting the scores of the group play matches, which 2 teams from each group will qualify (and in what order) and who will come out of the next round and so on, until the final.

The way in which I will be assigning points to each correct answer or semi-correct answer (got the winning team correct but not the exact score) will be addressed later but way before the start of the tournament.

Right now I just want to know if there is some interest in this. I'm hopping that this is a world wide event as subscribers from all over the world will participate.

What's up Everyone! I'm doing this again. :thumbsup: If you are interested, message me your e-mail. I'll be sending you the bracket to fill sometime after the draw (December 6th).

Thank you and good luck to all the people whose countries will be playing come this summer.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll message you my e-mail. I don't know if I will participate.

In World Cup 2010 I did a prediction contest. Somebody did 10,000 simulations and posted how many times each team had each of the seven outcomes (First, Second, Third, Fourth, Quarterfinal loser, Round of 16 loser, or eliminated in Group Stage). I then had people make predictions for each team where your score for a correct prediction was 10,000/the number of simulations something happened in. For example, if you correctly predicted something that happened in 200 simulations you would get 50 points. The points did not have to be whole numbers. For example if you correctly predicted that one of the weaker teams would be eliminated in the Group Stage and that happened in 8,000 simulations it would be worth 1.25 points. North Korea was so bad that they didn't win the World Cup in any simulation, so I arbitrarily made correctly predicted North Korea to win the World Cup worth 20,000 points, which of course was moot. I can e-mail you my files from that contest if you want.

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How did your algorithm decide the outcomes?

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States