World Cup 2022 Coming to USA After All? Zwanziger works to strip Qatar of 2022 World Cup

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by wdepner, Dec 5, 2011.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But devil 78.......Uk NT is going to play football in London, no? good opportunity for gigs and bale to win something at International level

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why am I responsible for this? We have a media filled with barely-literate talking heads.

Talk about nit-picking...if you REALLY want to pick nits, I actually said "consistently in the top 32", which does not necessarily mean "always and forever in the top 32".

In fact, IIRC 1994 is still the record holder for total attendance, even though it was only a 24-team tournament.

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes my friend Timon has reason, USA is a big NT and wc 1994 was a good example of hoy yo make a world cup :)

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks to not win a post war ain't it?
    Next time, in order to win, try supporting your idiotic posts.

5. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For this Olympics only. In football, we do not compete as the UK, but as our 4 home nations of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. For this Olympics, the FA is running a UK football team.

It will never happen again.

Please dont ask more questions, it is far too confusing.

I am not holding you responsible. I have seen many of these talking heads. However, I am pointing at you as you raised it in the first place!

So there.

I could disagree, but I cant be bothered. Too tired. Discussing word useage, meanings, implications, etc. Thats my day job. Not doing it now!

We know. That gets raised by US fans almost all the time!

6. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I truly hope Qatar get stripped from hosting World Cup 2022. Just pointing to the obvious: they have absolutely no fanbase except for a few fat f*ck ugly sheikhs attending their matches, no domestic talent as their national team is comprised of naturalized mercenaries from South America and Africa (FIFA seriously needs put a stop to this).
    And being such a small country they dont have the infrastructure to host such an enormous important event, even though off course there are plans to build new stadiums. But still there are serious legitimate doubts.
    Either FIFA was braindead when awarding it to Qatar or some people in the committee accepted a nice fat check from the corrupt bastard Bin Hammam (whom not to long ago was ousted from AFC for his corruption).

And Qatar simply sucks, they are not even in the top 10 in Asia.

I think, in order preserve AFC country hosting it, it should be awarded to Australia. China would also be an ideal host, but I dont know if they ever made a bid.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I did? I suppose insofar as I mentioned the term "Brits" in a parenthetical, yes I did. But I'm not sure what the fact that I've heard people from all 3 home nations on Britain (I could have thrown in the N. Irish and called the collective group UKers or something) call US citizens "Americans" a lot has to do with this.

Indeed.

It was more for the benefit of our deranged Colombian boys, as they either genuinely don't know that, or needed their troll-selves reminded of it.

8. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fairy stuff.

Cant really be bothered remembering how it all got started.

I notice our Colombian friends have gone quiet for a while. I miss them. Kind of sweet, really. Completely misguided, sad little individuals. And before they read this and try to accuse me of racism, I point this comment at THEM. Not their countrymen.

I wouldnt level the "sad individual" line at Shakira. Pique is a lucky, lucky man.

Oh, and Teammellie, FIFA are NOT brain dead. In fact, they are pretty sharp. They are VERY good at twisting the process to line their own pocket, and not leave a solid enough paper trail to get caught out!

If we where to keep it within the AFC if Qatar gets stripped of it, then I would prefer Australia or Japan. I know Japan has had it, but both have, at least, been to the World Cup. Both have the infrastructure, and football is rapidly growing in popularity in both nations.

And if Qatar keeps the WC, then I foresee them as being only the second host to be dumped out at the group stage. Something that is less likely to happen to Australia or Japan.

9. Coog

Coog Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Stockholm
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Don't know if you guys have allready seen this but: No air conditioned stadiums in Qatar 2022.

"Air-conditioned stadiums to beat 50-degree desert heat in June were a defining theme of Qatar's winning bid last year."

'We are doing away with all the air conditioning kit that is going to cost a fortune to run,' Barrow said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ar-air-conditioned-stadium.html#ixzz1juq86atk

1 person likes this.
  10. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not quite. If you read the full thing, he does actually talk about his proposal to use older techniques to air condition the venues.

Nothing has been formally accepted yet.

I expect Qatar to accept them, but leave it as long as possible to allow people to "forget" what they said about their bid.

11. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is worse than Obama's promise to send the troops home. When is the corruption in this world going to end?!

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    On precisely the 5th of Never.

13. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    First off speak English: "...women were beat by police because they were being split apart from their children..." huh?

2nd, have you even BEEN TO Qatar? Non of that stuff you said was even true. Women and men aren't segregated in Qatar, and neither is Alcohol illegal. During Ramadan yes. Been to for 2 weeks. As for that video you posted, that has nothing to do with your claim that Alcohol is illegal in Qatar, and women and men will be segregated. Been in Doha, Al Jumaliya for two weeks. enough time to know your wrong.

14. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking of.. it is you're, a contraction of you are. Your, implies possession. If you are going to make fun of other people's ability to speak English, at least don't go making yourself look doubly ignorant in the process. :rolleyes:

Anyways, what I was trying to say was that cowardly Qatari police beat Japanese women with sticks for being upset about being separated from their children. Yes, that really happened, and yes, the local press covered it up.

Even if all that you say is true, it still does not change the fact that Qatar sucks a fatty at soccer and have never qualified on there own despite all their money and hordes of mercenaries from Africa and Brazil. Actually, El Salvador, a third world country has qualified twice and has more right to host, what they don't have is money... so please, let's not pretend that Qatar did not buy this world cup.

What ever happened to the spirit of '62' when FIFA decided to keep the world cup in chile even though they just had a catastrophic earthquake and were broke? The Chilean president pleaded with FIFA that they needed the world cup then more than ever because they had nothing else. FIFA has gone a long way from that attitude by selling out to Arab oil dollars while trying to make us overlook the fact that things like mercy killings, slavery, and beating of innocent women happen there every day. And now they are trying to change tradition and move the world cup to the winter because they lied about the air conditioned stadiums!!! How can anyone with half a brain still support Qatar 2022?

15. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    You really don't understand do you. No one said anything about Qatar deserving the world cup. Your argument was that they separate women and children and that alcohol is illegal, none of which is true.

16. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What, your pointless trolling?

You are vastly over simplifying the matter. Several posters have already pointed out that these rules would not affect tourists but that exceptions would have to be made for locals during the world cup to allow them the same freedoms.. You would have known that though if you did not have blinders on in your quest to become king troll.

17. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was trouble with fans being separated. But that was only at one game. The bigger problem was that the organisers handed out free tickets to make sure all seats in the final where full. Despite the fact that the fans who HAD bought tickets turned up! They got locked out.

And during the tournament they overstated attendances. Japan and Saudi Arabia saw 2022 people turn up. Except the real number was actually more like 500.

Alcohol is legal. Just. But there are many, many punishments tied to it.

You can only buy alcohol in a very limited number of places. You either need a permit to buy it, or your tourist visa will only allow you to buy it from the hotel you are at, where it could easily cost $10 for a Budweiser.

Some restaurants can sell alcohol, but at the moment, the ones on Pearl Island got told to stop. No reason, just stop.

Also, if you are drunk in public you can be subject to some very serious punishments through the legal system.

So, alcohol is legal. But the restrictions are so tight it pretty much aint worth it.

18. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    What rules are you speaking of? Calling facts that are stated as "trolling" because they happen to prove you wrong? Again, Qatar does not have ANY law against the consumption of alcohol. Local, tourist or otherwise.
    Devil's statement is correct. But you oversimplified by saying something absolute such as "alcohol is illegal in Qatar"

19. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Again, you are so very, very WRONG

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...ice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/qatar

(Scroll down to "local laws and customs" section)

Alcohol is illegal. The only way to avoid getting punished under the law banning alcohol is to hold a special permit which will allow you to buy alcohol from the 1 shop in the nation that is allowed to sell booze. And then you have to take it straight home.

Either that, or going to one of the few places which have a permit to sell alcohol. Such as a hotel. And to drink in the hotel you must have a permit to drink, and be a guest at the hotel. You cannot go to another hotel to drink.

OK? Get it? Drinking alcohol is illegal! Buying alcohol is illegal! Being drunk in public is TOTALLY illegal! The only way you can buy alcohol and drink alcohol is to have a special permit which exempts you from the law!

Being drunk in public is NOT covered by the permit system...

PLEASE finally admit you are wrong...

Though I dont hold out much hope!

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe the Qatar government have already said alcohol will be available at fan sites and stadiums for the duration of the world cup (and possibly relaxed elsewhere too).

21. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That may be. Then.

But as of today, alcohol is banned.

And I believe that whilst the sale of alcohol may be relaxed, I dont think the whole "public drunkenness" issue will be. Though logistically it will be a nightmare for them to have thousands of drunk fans to deal with!

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As of today, alcohol is banned in stadiums in Brazil, yet that's a requirement for the world cup.

There's little point complaining about things that are known will not be an issue for the world cup.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Same in England, still, yes?

24. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nope.

You can drink in the stadium. Just not pitchside.

25. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the wake of what just happened in Port Said, I have a increased concern for security. It would be catastrophic is something similar to the 1972 Summer Olympics happened. Does Qatar have the resources to keep everyone safe?