World Cup 2014 tickets: general discussion: NOT for trading or selling

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by bulle1, Apr 26, 2013.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, for the Confederations Cup last month as well as for South Africa 2010 you only got your tickets after arriving in the host country (At one of the 2 or 3 designated FIFA ticketing venues in each host city).

Anyway, the pdf file has been re-posted on FIFA's website. http://pt.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...7/fwc2014-ticket-media-info-pt_portuguese.pdf

2. gomelkiev

gomelkiev Member

May 11, 2007
  3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have a feeling this (pickup onsite) will be the way forward... not so much for limiting resell but the cost of distributing so many tickets across the world, they still have printing centers anyways for people who lost them or purchased them last second so you might as well use it for pick ups as well. I dont think I recall a lot of horror stories of the process in SA.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Although there was a horror story in Rio for the Confed Cup. Massive lineups at the airport! Of course there was no lineup at the other venues in the city, but people had no way of knowing that.

5. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    math is fun. there are roughly 3.2 million tickets to be sold. They said that 400 will be cat 4. If the same amount hold true for cat 2 and 3. roughly 60% of seats will be cat 1. I really hope I am wrong but this would make sense for the seating categories they gave for Confed cup where anything not in a corner/behind goals was Cat 1.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's a sneaky way to drive-up the average ticket price by a lot without it making it seem like a big increase. :sneaky:

But for the Confed Cup, in the Maracana, I was sitting in category 2 and I wasn't in the corner or behind the goal. I was along the side (albeit much closer to the goal-line than to the center circle).

Edit: Just looked at my photos and I was lined-up right with the edge of the penalty box.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Given that there are so few category 4 tickets, is applying for category 4 as a Brazilian resident the best strategy? It seems like the demand will far exceed the supply in this category making it somewhat pointless to apply for category 4. Or not?

8. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Category 4 tickets to Brazilians will be sold for only 30 reais, wich is pretty cheap for Brazilian standards. It will be a nightmare to purchase them online..

9. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats fine, but 2nd deck being cat 1 is bullshit, esp. in the bigger stadiums.

puertorricane repped this.
  10. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't see what is wrong with the second tier.I woudl rather be further back than in the front 4-5 rows. Behind the goal I would definitely rather be higher than lower.

11. nelsonb97

nelsonb97 Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why there is so many seats for Cat1 ? Looking at the following picture I cannot understand why the areas at the high corners of the stadium are Cat1 ? They should be Cat2 ! The same for the high seats after the goals: all of them should be Cat4. As far as I remember from the last WCs, there were less Cat1 seats than now.
    It seems like an ugly trick used by FIFA to make more money at our expense :(.

stadium.jpg
    [​IMG]

puertorricane repped this.
  12. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The pic above says it all... The odds of gettting tickets for Cat 3 or even Cat 2 seem like its going to be rough.

13. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I could see happen though would make sense like Bocafan experienced is if they have an overwhelming ammount of applicants for cat 2/3 they could extend those zones.... however, I think most games will sell out and they won't have to as people will pay for cat 1. On games that are going to be harder to fill though I could see cat 2/3 being better seats.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    or they can do what the tend to do, and give the "option" of accepting higher category seats if they are all that's left. I would imagine most people would go that route, rather paying a high price than missing out.

The zones are odd though. The Cat 4 tickets, which someone has deemed the least desirable seats, are really the best ones beyond the best Cat 1 seats.

That Cat 3 seats are also all better than the Cat 2 ones on the same level.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I thought it was usually the other way around. i.e. there is an option to accept lower category seats than the ones you applied for. IIRC, I applied for category 2 once and ended-up with category 3's. But IIRC you can never qualify for tickets that are at a higher price range than the ones you applied for. At least in the past...

If I'm remembering it correctly, I guess I'll reluctantly have to apply for category 1 in every match because the odds won't be good if applying for other categories.

16. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Well here we are again, another Tourny and all the excitement of ticket applications. Let's hope all the old faces are back and particularly that guy that wrote the prog for the last World Cup. ;-)

17. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I only applied for Cat 1 tickets for confederation cup and was denied hopefully I'll be able to get them this time.

[]__[]

18. Chapimp

Chapimp Member

Sep 9, 2004
    A group of four of us is planning to go, is the best recommended method when we apply for tickets is to put each others name on the request? What happens if two of us end up getting selected to purchase, would we be able to sell the other set? So much I don't know :(

19. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Information about RESPECT In Brazil

Brazilians tend to be very open and talk freely about their problems, especially about political corruption and other problems. But don't imitate them, as they are likely to feel offended if you criticize their country or customs. In some small towns, local politics can be a sensitive issue and you should be careful when talking about it. Be polite, as always.
    Be aware that racism is a very serious offense in Brazil. Most Brazilians frown upon racism, and even if you are only joking or you think you know your company, it is still wise to refrain from anything that can be perceived as racism. According to the Brazilian constitution of 1988, racism is a crime for which bail is not available, and must be met with 6 months to 8 years imprisonment. This is taken very seriously. However, the law only seems to apply to overt, unquestionably racist statements and actions. Therefore, be aware and be respectful when discussing racial relations in Brazil; do not assume you understand Brazil's history of racial inequality and slavery better than a Brazilian person of color.
    Remember that Portuguese is not Spanish and Brazilians (as well as other Portuguese speakers) feel offended if you do not take this in mind. Both languages can be mutually intelligible to a certain extent, but they differ considerably in phonetics, vocabulary and grammar. It is not a good idea to mix Portuguese with Spanish, don't expect people to understand what you're saying if you (intentionally or unintentionally) insert Spanish words into Portuguese sentences.
    It is also noteworthy that the Brazilians are fanatical about football (soccer) and so there are (some times violent) disputes between teams from different cities (and rivalry between teams of the same city), and walking with the shirt of a team in certain areas may be seen as controversial or even dangerous. Speaking ill of the Brazilian national football team is not considered an insult, but you should never praise the Argentine team or compare them both.

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One thing I want to know before I buy tickets is what are the groups and the schedule. So we the draw comes out in December will there still be tickets aviable that I will be able to follow my team or should I just buy tickets for one venue and one city. For Brazilians or those who know Brazil what is the better option.

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, what a bunch of bull... Who writes this things?

22. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lol yeah I thought the last statement was over the top kinda funny from an outsider. A travel guide website

23. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I had this same thought, there are three of us going, should all three of us apply for 3 tickets to each game? One of the steps on the FIFA site is fill in the info for the people you are getting tickets for, could this be to prevent the above ?

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    As far as I know, there will be some tickets reserved for the "Follow your Team" phase. Needless to say though, you increase the chances of actually getting tickets to matches if you participate in all phases of the application process, beginning with the one starting on 20 August.

I can't really give you advice beyond that. It all depends whether you are interested at all in seeing games not involving your team and how much you are willing or unwilling to travel.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No, it won't prevent the above from happening. I've done this many times. I went with a friend to South Africa and we each applied for 2 tickets to all the games we wanted to go. In some cases we both failed to win tickets to a particular match, in other cases it worked-out perfectly and only 1 of us "won" 2 tickets for a match, and in 2 other cases we ended up with 4 tickets to the same games. So we sold some of our extra tickets outside the stadium. Or we reached out to our friends on facebook and sold a couple of tickets that way.

We were lucky because one of the games we had extra tickets for was Germany v Argentina so it was easy to sell them (I still have a nice bundle of South African rand at home thanks to that sale :D). Of course if after the draw you end up with extra tickets for Iran v Honduras, you'll probably not be able to sell it at face value. :sneaky: