News: World Cup 2014 Qualifying -- the 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Dec 9, 2012.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look. This is simple. Jermaine Jones warms up against Portugal, walks out there, and defends Cristiano Ronaldo as well as he can for the first ninety seconds of the game. Things can get pretty heated out there. People trip all the time. People can get tackled studs-up from behind anywhere.

Three points for the USA while playing down a man? It could happen.

BrickStreetBoy repped this.
  2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst case scenario is we get to see the highlights of the 2002 USA vs Portugal a bunch of time.

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Portugal is streaky, but I'm really worried about this sentence:

"I'm not worried about Portugal because I have full confidence _____________ can shut down C Ronaldo for the game"

And with his reputation for diving and our luck with referees, I'm very nervous.

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Any USA operatives that are stationed in La Liga ready to hobble Ronaldo prior to the tournament?

5. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was going to suggest Jeff Gillooly, but this is better.

6. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I don't even know if there are currently any USA players in La Liga.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Beckerman, nobody likes to be near a Dirty Hippie, has he ever washed his hair? Or taken a shower?

8. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Michael Bradley. We rise and fall with Michael Bradley.

American Brummie repped this.
  9. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Virginian, eboe and Timon19 repped this.
  10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we need Bradley in the middle CR attacks with width most of the time. Even still, I don't rate Bradley's defense good enough. That isn't his game.

Either way though, the first matches will determine everything.

11. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got drawn into the second toughest group in the Cup, no doubt about it for me.

We couldn't have been paired in with Australia seeing as we were in the same pot as they were. So, would I rather face Spain, Chile and Netherlands, or Ghana, Germany and Portugal? Easily its the latter of the two.

Play against Spain (currently Cup holders and two time Euro Champs), Netherlands (who are honestly a seeded team, but FIFA screwed that up) and a team from the host continent who finished 3rd in qualifying? No thank you. I'll take a third chance against Ghana (this time not a knock out match), then matches against a beatable Portugal team and then Germany.

Also, anyone else find it interesting that if Egypt had beaten Ghana, we would have been playing against our former coach?

Draghignazzo repped this.
  12. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Egypt, Portugal & Germany... the sports media people would have loved that mix with all the extraneous stories they could pull from it. "Father vs. Son", "Old US Coach vs. New US Coach", "Old KgLand Coach vs. New KgLand Coach", "German Imports vs. Germans", "Who can forget the classic Confederations Cup clash?" and so on, so on.

Good news for the media, they can still use a lot of those themes even when you switch out Egypt with Ghana.

13. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this to a point. Group B definitely has the best top 2 teams in the group, Spain and Netherlands. And Chile is also a really good team and should be very dangerous, especially in South American soil. Australia, they're a decent team but they are probably going 0-3 in this group.

I still give edge for the Group of Death to Group G. I think anyone has the potential to beat any team in this this group. You can't say that with group B. Now, I still have Germany winning this group but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they don't advance to the knockout stage.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting to see Spain and the Netherlands open against each other.

England has a tough road. None of their three games are gimmees, but no superpowers either. Three winnable games, but no guarantees.

This is where Klinsmann earns his money. Holy shit.

15. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsi has to pull some German magic out against the Germans. Wunderbar!

16. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deservedly so. What he's done with the infrastructure and the national team deserves another 4 years (barring a French like embarrassment in the WC)

Plus, the TD position... great move

17. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Especially given the hand we were dealt in this WC. We have a lot to gain, but it's going to be harder to judge his performance considering we could easily finish bottom of the group and nobody would be surprised.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    It is a good idea to get these kind of things sorted well before a major tournament. Either put faith in your guy, or don't but don't let it hang out there days before the big event....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8718890.stm

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  20. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    is he trying to make the squad for brazil or something?

22. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I think it's a little late for that, that team is ridiculously young. I think the average age is like 23-24 years old.

I think time has passed him by on that front.