News: World Cup 2014 Qualifying -- the 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Dec 9, 2012.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Agreed. I thought the players were playing conservatively because they did not want to do anything wrong. Only Wondo and Gatt showed up offensively while everyone else was trying not to piss themselves.

2. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BeIN doesn't have rights to the MEX away qualifier. The only English-speaking option in the U.S. will be ESPN.

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes on the frirst part, no on the second part. BeIN does have the right to the US AWAY qualifiers. So, when we roll into Azteca, the game should be on both ESPN(probably 2) as the Mexican home game provider, and BeIN as the US Away game provider.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    When is the roster announced?

5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably Saturday or Sunday.

Klinsmann has a tendency to wait until the very last minute to release the roster to the media.

6. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That contradicts what has been reported by USA Today and CNNSI (Grant Wahl):

"The new beIN Sport network said Wednesday it had acquired rights to U.S. road qualifiers this year and next along with all other qualifiers in the North and Central American and Caribbean region for the 2014 tournament, except for matches involving Mexico"

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-cup-qualifiers-beIN-sport-network/57219424/1

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...0/12/bein-sport-us-antigua-barbuda/index.html

7. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, I stand corrected. I thought I read that BeIN's release included the away Mexico match.

My bad. Thanks for putting it out there.

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did ESPN ever bid on US WC qualifiers on the road?
    Where do I get BeIn sports?

9. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad will be announced Monday, even though players will be arriving stateside on Saturday and Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if the roster contained 18 "John Doe"s and the players all wore Guy Fawkes masks and the same numbers during the game Wednesday.

eboe repped this.
  10. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BeIn sport is on DirecTV, Time Warner, and Comcast that I know of.

11. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    BeIn is also available on DISH and Bright House. I recently heard they're in final negotiations with Verizon, too.

12. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strike 1,2,3.
    Strike 4,5

I'm out with insight communications

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I switched from U-Verse to Insight this week because they are $70 a month cheaper. I knew I was losing GolTV but they claimed to have BeIn. I now suspect they thought I was asking about BTN the Big Ten Network. Insight was bought by TimeWarner and they merge in June so maybe by then Insight will have BeIn.

14. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Anyone with time Warner in Columbus get bein and if so what channel is it? Can't seem to find it on their website?

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because a channel comes to terms with a cable company doesn't mean it's available everywhere, as we all probably know. It appears this is the case with BeIN which just launched on TW one or two months ago.

When it does launch, it appears the English-language channel will be on the Sports Pack ad the Spanish-language channel will be on Nuestra Tele and El Paquetazo, aka the "Spanish Package."

In the meantime, come down to 4th Street for a few drinks with good people and good times. :)

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have beIN in English on Time Warner Nebraska as part of the Sports Pack.

17. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it, look around 1337 in the HD sports pack.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  18. hobbs1130

hobbs1130 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does anyone know about BeIn on AT&T Uverse?

19. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Thanks, will have the parents look for it later. You would thing TW support could give me the channel number, last night they said it wasn't available in Columbus. Always fun.

No luck with Uverse and BeIN unless something is added in the next day or two.

20. hobbs1130

hobbs1130 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I check a couple times every month. There hasn't even been talk about it happening. Guess I'll find a bar in the area that has it.

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson​
    DEFENDERS- Tim Chandler, Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, Carlos Bocanegra, Edgar Castillo Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Brad Evans, Michael Parkhurst​
    MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Danny Williams, Maurice Edu, Graham Zusi, Brad Davis, Jose Torres, Sacha Kljestan​
    FORWARDS- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez​

22. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real big surprises. Evans is probably the one that sticks out the most, but there is really no chance he sees the field.

Lineup looks pretty easy to predict at this point.
    Locks- Howard (GK), Chandler (RB), Cameron (CB), F. Johnson (LB), Bradley (CM), Dempsey (ST)

Pretty much locks- Altidore (ST), Zusi (RM); Pretty clear that Altidore is our 2nd best forward option (behind Dempsey) and Zusi is our best wide option (since Donovan is still being a bitch)

50/50: Gonzalez/Bocanegra (CB), Jones/Williams (CM); I think we'll see Bocanegra > Gonzalez and Jones > Williams due to seniority; it'd be tough on Gonzalez to be thrown into the fire away at Honduras, but I think he'd show well; Williams hasn't been playing regularly in the Bundesliga and Jones is the safer pick between the two

Last Spot: Kljestan/E. Johnson (LM); Sacha isn't a true winger, but he is a very solid player and can provide a veteran presence; while I hate EJ as a forward with the USMNT, I think he has the pace to give defenders trouble and for the most part he'll just play simple and work his tail off if given the opportunity

Slight Chance: Besler (CB), Davis (LM), Torres (CM), Edu (CM), Gomez (ST); Jurgen could favor Besler over Gonzalez and Bocanegra; while he doesn't have a lot of experience at the international level, Davis has a dangerous left foot and could work well on the outside; Torres and Edu really only have a chance if we play a 4-3-3, but even then it'd be more likely we go with Williams and Jones with Bradley; Gomez could start up top with Jozy and Clint if we go with a 4-3-3 (Jurgen has said he prefers the 4-4-2, though he used the 4-3-3 most of the time when he started with the USMNT) or even start with Jozy in a 4-4-2 and push Dempsey wide

Most likely, we'll end up with this XI: Howard; Chandler, Cameron, Bocanegra, F. Johnson; Zusi, Bradley, Jones, E. Johnson; Altidore, Dempsey

POdinCowtown and Psycho_Derek repped this.
  23. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If I was Klinsmann I would go

------------------Howard----------------------
    Chandler------Boca----Cameron----Johnson
    -------------Williams-------Bradley-----------
    ---------------------Kljestan-------------------
    ------Johnson-----Altidore---------Dempsey

Possibly Zusi or Torres for Kljestan.

Is anyone else disappointed by Gatt's exclusion?

24. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate the guy, I thought Beckerman deserved the call up. Hes played well.

25. hobbs1130

hobbs1130 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I really thought he'd get a chance. The game seemed to pick up and get a little better after he came on. I agree that he did send some crosses high and wide, but still felt like he deserved the call up.