News: World Cup 2014 Qualifying -- the 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times have we hosted a Gold Cup match? Deciding where these games go may be 100% up to CONCACAF.

Besides, CONCACAF probably wants larger stadiums so they can make $$$$$.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone find Jurgen's zip-up online? That thing is simple and nice

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    How on earth is Brad Evans a better AM choice than Diskerud and/or Feilhaber? Awful.

Between the CBJ game, the OSU basketball game and this my sports night has been awful and dull as hell.

CrewV Man repped this.
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about zero creativity and no sense of urgency

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say "lack of brilliance" but yours is more to the point.

Dull, flat, lifeless. This is what soccer haters are talking about when they call the sport boring.

Might be better off to record the second half and watch Justified.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't understand that these players have to make an impact if they want to get on a roster. They have come out like they just ate 12 pounds of turkey. Where is the passion? The desire? I don't know if that starts with JK or what but wake up.

Gatt looks like he wants to go forward. Seems like no one else is all that interested.

7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I know most of those players were in preseason form but that was dishearteningly bad.

On the bright side that wasn't our A team.

8. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wow, and when people argue that Klinsmann needs to look to MLS more, this game is a good enough argument against it

9. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfield was missing a certain beard.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People get on others that choose club over country :cautious:

11. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Bright side? We have a real game coming up in 7 days and he throws out the subs to see who will round out the field? Stupid, just stupid. A-team should be out there to get cohesive, now they are going to be throw out at the last minute with no real time work togther against a tough team, in a hostile enviroment and coming off a great big downer!! Unless of course that is the same team he plans on fielding in Honduras and just throw away this game, then it is brilliant!

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know..... I think it's pretty apparent who our #1-12 or 13 guys are. This game was all about looking at specific things. For example, they kept mentioning Beckerman's positioning. Was he doing the right things? Same with Gonzalez? Does he appear to be "back" at a national team level? How did Johnson do organizing the defence?

Yeah, it sucks tieing Canada. A team we should destroy EVERY time. But let's face it, these guys are fighting for roster spots 13 - 22.

I'm pretty sure that Klinsi has the credentials (as a player and a coach) for me to not question him at this point. If we fail to finish in the top two of the HEX, then I'll start to look at him differently.

I think his main focal point has been, "How do we get these guys to be able to compete against South American/Euro teams at a competitive level?" It's almost a foregone conclusion that we should qualify for Brazil. But qualifying isn't his end game. WINNING it is. And I think this is probably the first time we've ever had a guy at the helm of the national program with his sights set on winning the WC, not just qualifying. I think he's seeing the forest through the trees which is a change in mindset for our national program.

Oh, and on another note...... hos pissed off is BeIN Sport right now that US@Mexico is going to be shown on ESPN? Who here will watch BeIN over ESPN?

13. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. How is it that Gaven doesn't even get a shot amongst that group? Not even a chance in camp? I'm not saying he's good enough to make the team, but with that sorry group he would at least work hard and make them earn their spot.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had a 3 week long camp where a fitness was an emphasis according to reports. Well last night it looked like the guys barely played together. There was little chemistry on the field. These are professionals why can't you expect them to show up in shape, do some conditioning and spend the majority of the time working on tactics, etc.

JK set the program for the camp

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well clubs don't have to release (won't likely either) our A team players for our "January" camp so not sure we can do much about who plays in this game.

Kayak repped this.
  16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. But I just asked him via Twitter:
    Maybe it's Gaven's choice for all we know.

17. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    This, January camp is always the B team if that anymore.

18. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a snore. The US team was basically playing TFC light and it they can beat them with MLSers that I sad.
    Huge holes everywhere, slow play, always back to the goal, terrible mis-timed crosses. All they had was possession and even that was sketchy. Terrible.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Umm, you do realize that the "A-Team" is currently involved in club competitions around Europe and those teams aren't just going to let their players leave for a few weeks for a NT camp. Right? This has always been - and will continue to be - a collection of fringe NT players in the January camp. Of course that doesn't excuse their dreadful play last night against a very young Canadian team...
    I'm fairly sure that Gaven was given an invite to the camp this month, which proceeded this game for three weeks, and declined if memory serves me correct. I need to find the article stating that...

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked and could not find anything easily.....

22. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that is the case and that it was Eddie's choice.

I understand that this was our B team out there. But if I was on the B team and trying to make the case for the A team I would show a bit more energy out there. It wasn't that we drew against a defensive minded Canadian team, it was that we showed no energy or fight. I don't get it.

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tons of new guys in camp... I'd grade that as our C team, with a spattering of B's and an A or two.

It was a crap match, no doubt, but I wasn't expecting anything really out this. Liked what I saw out of Beckerman, Besler and Gonzo. Everyone else had a meh kind of match.

24. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Eddie turned down his last invite for the Gold Cup? to be with his son.

25. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will. If ESPN wants to carry the Mexican team, let them. I don't support them, I don't like them, and I don't like them playing friendlies in our country.

ESPN, your home to Mexican Soccer. F*** them both.

Draghignazzo and HardHatMike repped this.