News: World Cup 2014 Qualifying -- the 2013 Edition

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Dec 9, 2012.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a four-game pack last season, and that was enough to lock me in.

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  2. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the answer to this if hell yes.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent, thanks. Now I just have to wait for 4 or 5 packs to go on sale.

4. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    soccerusa517 repped this.
  5. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    No hookers and no booze?? Seriously, I can't imagine people flocking to the Qatari oven in the summer time for an event. Most importantly, are the players gonna strike? Serious question because there is no way in hell I am subjecting my career to conditions that even I can't handle despite living in the south in the summer time.

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a real gem in there:
    I am sure you won't.

The bonus side is that they'll now be able to communicate to their English speaking clientele regarding which venereal diseases they currently are carrying.

8. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff is tweeting that the 3/22 game is probably in Denver or KC (he postulates Denver due to Altitude and @MEX 4 days later).
    Another Tidbit is that apparently US Soccer wanted to do 06/11 and 06/18 games in SEA/PDX, but Goff says he's hearing scheduling issues won't support that.

If we assume Denver gets 3/22, then that means KC WILL get one of 6/11, 6/18, 9/10, or 10/11 games. To me, they are the only serious contender for the 9/10 MEX game. To me, the 9/10 and 10/11 (Jamaica) are the real draws in this round. I'm not crazy about Panama, Honduras, or Costa Rica in our house.

I was surprised to read that US Soccer was considering playing on the plastic grass in the Pac NW.

9. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Didn't Sunil Gulati basically capitulate to Mexico that they won't host them in Columbus? If that were true, he should be fired on the spot. ******** Mexico and their smogerrific Azteca stadium that US always has to play at for WCQ.

10. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story as I heard it was that before the last cycle, FMF asked US Soccer to not have it in Columbus. To which they agreed, IF, and ONLY IF, they agreed to not play in Azteca on the return leg. At which point the conversation ended.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  11. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    But that was for WC 2010. I think Grant Wahl mentioned for this cycle they capitulated. Probably because Mexico will give them a significantly bigger gate at Azteca. No one is saying a whole lot about it.

12. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be remember something that a Mexico official said, if I remember correctly. regardless though, I don't think anything serious of note was stated about it.

13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing to worry about, if we don't get the Mexico game, we aren't getting squat. No reason to put a game against any of those teams in Columbus, only reason we get Mexico at this point is tradition and their record here.

14. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am not one to jump the gun on important things...
    ...but

There may have been a meeting last night where the assumption is to start planning the party now. The SGs are operating under the assumption.

let that sizzle for a bit.
    It might be a prudent idea to start scheduling vacation.

Kryptonite repped this.
  15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always easier to start things earlier than to wait around and then go crazy last-minute.

PAAAAAAAAAAR-TAY!

16. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really does not make sense. What makes you think Columbus would not get a different qualifier if they dont get Mexico? They gave us Jamacia with no history or tradition and the atmosphere esceeded almost everyones expectations(outside of Columbus).

17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suppose things might be changing now since they're putting WCQ's in other MLS stadia, but for the most part in the past Hex games are in big stadiums (Gillette, Soldier's Field, etc.), and Columbus was given the Mexico game to try and get a friendly, albeit smaller, crowd.

18. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati had mentioned on an interview with FSC that the games would mostly be MLS stadia for qualifying so thats what makes me think that Columbus would get a game regardless but as always nothing is certian.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't. USSF had previously said they wouldn't play games of temporary grass overlaid onto the turf. They went back on that stance, if the temp turf has enough time to settle, hence Seattle and Portland are back in the running.

However, I think there may be other events scheduled that prevent the temp turf from having enough to settle in properly for USSF's liking, hence the scheduling problems.

Here's the full US Hex schedule, FWIW:

1. 2/6/13: USA Honduras. 4 PM EST. 4 PM local. San Pedro Sula.
    --------------------
    2. 3/22/13: Costa Rica USA.
    3. 3/26/13: USA Mexico.
    ---------------------
    4. 6/7/13: USA jamaica.
    5. 6/11/13: Panama USA.
    6. 6/18/13: Honduras USA
    ----------------------
    7. 9/6/13: USA costa Rica.
    8. 9/10/13: Mexico USA.
    -----------------------
    9. 10/11/13: Jamaica USA
    10. 10/15/13: USA Panama

The Mexico game is obviously the jewel. It's our biggest rival. It's later in qualifying. It's a day before 9/11. When the other team is openly asking you NOT to play the game in a certain place, why on Earth would you accommodate them? This isn't "don't throw me in the briar patch!", this is "dos e zsero!" Livestrong has to be the only other serious candidate.

After Mexico, I think the next most important games are Costa Rica and Honduras. No disrespect to Jamaica or Panama, but I think they are the teams that will most likely challenge for the other top spots in the Hex. Hence, we need to beat them at home. Plus, the Jamaica game is way late. If we struggle, and things are tight, it could be WAY important. If we don't, it could be meaningless.

The CR match is before the away leg at Mexico. I'd have assumed altitude conditioning would be part and parcel, which means Denver or SLC in my book. Surprised to hear USSF is considering Livestrong instead of SLC for this one. I'd like it to be someplace a bit chilly for our more tropical competitors as well. Denver seems like the pick.

I'd give Livestrong the 6/18 match with Honduras. It's the next most important match, in terms of level opposition, we have. It's the second of back-to-back home matches, and KCs location guarantees there won't be a cross country flight no matter where the Panama game is played. Plus, they were awesome last time around.

For Panama (6/11) and Jamaica (10/11) I'd just avoid the coasts where those teams are likely to have large populations locally (DC, LA, NY) and we should be OK. I'd prefer someplace likely chilly for the Jamaica match. SLC comes to mind. For Panama, I was thinking Houston (Canada game dry run) or someplace in the South (Birmingham). Maybe even DC/Chicago. Haven't thought that one up, and don't know too much about Panamanian population centers, and we don't have that much Hex experience against them. Though that Gold Cup Final was pretty dicey.

110toyourleft repped this.
  20. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if we lose said Mexico match.

21. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How about if we don't get the match and USMNT loses we hold it in the stadium on the stage and if we dont get the match and USMNT wins we burn it in the lot. And if we do get the match we switch Sunil for Sep and do it anyway

Robbo Crewfan and eboe repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    My sig agrees.

If Sunil sold this game he does not deserve to be fired. He deserves every US fan to line up and one at a time punch him in his dick .

cam5fc repped this.
  23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. :)