World Cup 2014 Qualifying Appointments [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 30, 2011.

1. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, gutsy move by the CR getting in there and moving him away. That really could've backfired on him but glad it worked out.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    How can you say that? The blue player was going in head first and should have known someone else was going to go for the ball. It looks like a reckless play by blue to me.

:whistling:

:ROFLMAO:

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly worked in that situation.

Just don't try it during a youth match (especially a girls one). :D

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I completely agree with the way it was managed ....

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partial listing of June CONCACAF appointments, which should be complete shortly...

CONCACAF HEXAGONAL MATCHDAY 6*
    04.06.13 - Jamaica : Mexico - AGUILAR (SLV)

CONCACAF HEXAGONAL MATCHDAY 4
    07.06.13 - Costa Rica : Honduras - LOPEZ (GUA)
    07.06.13 - Jamaica : USA - MORENO (PAN)
    07.06.13 - Panama : Mexico - QUESADA (CRC)

CONCACAF HEXAGONAL MATCHDAY 5
    11.06.13 - Honduras : Jamaica - RODRIGUEZ (MEX)
    11.06.13 - Mexico : Costa Rica - GEIGER (USA)
    11.06.13 - USA : Panama - GARCIA (MEX)

CONCACAF HEXAGONAL MATCHDAY 6
    18.06.13 - Costa Rica : Panama - CAMPBELL (JAM)
    18.06.13 - USA : Honduras - WIJNGAARDE (SUR)

Toledo is with Geiger's normal crew in Mexico City. Interestingly, Gantar is Campbell's fourth in Costa Rica--not sure why or what, if anything, that signals.

We'll know soon, but I think the US has to see a Mexican referee, probably Garcia, in at least one of the three games. Wijngaarde also seems like a good possibility, given who else is already named in June.

EDIT: the updates are coming sooner than I expected. Wijngaarde has Briere of Canada as his JAR and Santos of Puerto Rico as his 4h.

greek ref repped this.
  6. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think of Wijngaarde on this game? It makes me super nervous. Honduras fouls, and Wijngaarde loses control of games. I mean he was out of his element on the US U-17's or whatever that game was. I'd almsot rather have some random Jamaican on that game. Alas.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wijngaarde makes me nervous but we were bound to get him for one game, so at least it's a home game.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Garcia of Mexico for the home USA match against Panama. Edit reflected above.

That leaves just one assignment for June--the away match in Jamaica. Has to be an Elite referee, likely not from the Caribbean, not from Mexico and not working otherwise in June. Also, I would imagine we wouldn't already see the same referee twice (so that eliminates Quesada, who otherwise would make sense). So, I believe that leaves Pineda of Honduras as the logical option. There are a number of other possibilities, but they'd all be referees that are considered junior to Pineda (like Cruz of Costa Rica). We'll know shortly.

Edit... I suppose it could be Moreno, too. But I hope he's saved for the home match against Mexico.

9. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Are they still giving him matches? OMG!!!

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Moreno for the away match in Jamaica. Full June assignments are now reflected above.

Marrufo is the only WC candidate not working in June. He'll almost surely have to feature in one of the September matchdays, but he already went to Panama so I'd bet he ends up on one of the September 10th matches.

Moreno and Aguilar will both have had a US match after June. Aguilar will also have done Mexico, though on an away game. They seem the prime candidates for the big game in Mexico City. Not sure which way that will go now.

11. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    When in 2017? Those teams have already played in Mexico City during this Hex.
    In September they will play in Columbus, Ohio.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, MrRC, I made a mistake. Not everyone here can be infallible.

greek ref and usaref repped this.
  13. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Does that mean that Marrufo will be going to the FIFA Confederations Cup in June?

14. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we will see the same referee twice? Geiger is on the Mexico-Costa Rica game even though he already officiated Mexico v. Jamaica.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, but that would make some sense. The dates don't prevent a different referee from being CONCACAF's representative, but that appointment would be a logical reason to rest him.

greek ref repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, we'll definitely see the same referee twice a couple times in the Hex. The ref for US-Mexico will almost certainly be a repeat now. I just didn't think it would happen this early. Geiger's appointments show it's possible, though.

greek ref repped this.
  17. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Are all these appointments officially confirmed?

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Via an indirect source, yes. The the same one I used for the first 3 matchdays.

greek ref repped this.
  19. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I see he's working the CCL final right now as well.

greek ref repped this.
  20. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    If another poster on the forum had corrected you would you still have responded in this unprofessional manner? This post demonstrates that you are incapable of being objective when viewing my posts. Since professionalism and objectivity are two required traits a moderator must always exhibit, you need to immediately step down or be removed as one of the three moderators of this forum. You are not capable of properly executing the duties of that role, especially when it comes to particular posters.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If another poster made a sarcastic comment to me about 2017, when it was obvious I made a mistake, I probably would have responded quite similarly, if not the exact same way. But I don't think many other posters here would make such a comment in the first place.

I think you need to get over yourself. I really don't care one bit who the poster is of certain content. Oftentimes I agree with your statements and have supported your point of view on issues in the past. Lately, it seems, much less so. As an observer of the board, it does appear that that is consistent with the sentiment of others. Perhaps that's just a consequence of healthy debate and disagreement. Or, perhaps, that's a result of a more antagonistic tone and posting style you've adopted recently.

Now I'm sure you need to get over yourself.

First of all, you're a registered--non-paying--member of this site. You are not an administrator who sets the duties of a moderator. So I'm not sure how you know what the "required traits" are and I'm certain you're not the person that judges those traits.

Second, I moderate the forum but I also participate as a member (I think I've done the former for nearly 2 years and the latter for 12 years... I point that out only because you seemed to suggest in another thread you had more credibility than another poster who was a newer member than you, by the way). Nothing in my above post had anything to do with moderation and I didn't use moderating powers. I didn't censor you. I didn't rebuke you. I didn't warn you. I didn't even go back to edit my own mistake, which I could have done. I took absolutely no action, other than responding to your sarcastic remark with an apology and a general statement that must have hit home, since you have appeared to take great offense. You don't get to be a jerk toward me and not expect a response, just because I'm a moderator.

Third, after great consideration of your request, I've decided not to step down. So that means I must be removed. I urge you to seek redress with the site administrators (SuperMods). I'm sure they'll dismiss me at your request.

Actually, I'm going to use one of my moderating powers in this post and instruct you to seek redress with them. This is a perfectly good thread with all the appointments for every single 2014 World Cup qualifier. I believe it's one of the only places on the web where they are in one place, aside from the FIFA site (where you have to click on each match report). You're not going to be allowed to muck it up with public complaints about me. You can seek the change you want privately, through approved channels. Alternatively, if you'd like to organize a public campaign against me, I have no problem if you start a thread dedicated to that purpose. But you can't post here about it. I'm sure you understand and will comply.

roby, mtn335, TyffaneeSue and 8 others repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aguilar, Brych, Kuipers, Proenca, Webb, Osses, Abal, Haimoudi, Nishimura and Irmatov for the Confederations Cup, which is the first of four FIFA tournaments where World Cup candidate referees will be examined at this year.

greek ref repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, doesn't look like Marrufo or Geiger are going to the U20s. That would mean they will be split up between the U17s in October and the CWC in December.

greek ref repped this.
  24. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IASocFan repped this.
  25. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter