World Cup 2014 Qualifiers - The Road to Brazil

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Team Melli forever, Jun 15, 2011.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Uzbekistan absent of 5 individual key players still managed to beat Japan in Toyota. So it would be unwise to overestimate Iran's chances of winning against Uzbekistan on their turf on the account of the Uzbeks missing some players.

Qatar is a very physical team, with technical African and South American players. They are a hard team to beat away. We saw that this round with Iran (hell we didnt even beat it them in Azadi, but then again I dont think we pushed 100 %), and also in last years Asian Cup when they played a fantastic game against Japan in QF.
    Plus they are going to want to prove themselves to the world in light of all the protests against FIFA awarding them to host 2022 Word Cup.

And while some may expect Lebanon to be this punching bag, fact is they have gotten 7 out of 9 points at home, including a shocking win against South Korea. I dont expect them to go far or get near qualification, but they are surely capable of taking points from anyone including the big teams.

And lastly (but obviously not least) South Korea needs no further explanation. A traditional Asian power-house.

I think the groups are pretty well balanced, neither is significantly harder or easier than the other one. And it's not going to be easy for anyone, it's a tough road ahead. Well that's my take anyway.

As Tri said, Iran has a problem with lack of consistency. They drop points in the most crucial matches. That was the case in 98, 2002 and 2010 WCQ.
    I want to believe this will have changed with Carlos Quieroz but it remains to be seen.

I predict Iran and Korea will qualify directly, with Qatar clinching third place. Initially I was thinking Uzbekistan because of their fantastic form and results, but I have a distinct feeling they will choke final round.

2. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
  3. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Don't feel too bad, fourth seed teams does have the same problem only they play it on first half of the campaign. As for Iran, you got have it wrapped up before the last away game against us.

4. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    True, but the first half of the round our schedule is actually very good.
    As heyhey said, we need to seal qualification prior to our last game against South Korea in Seoul.

5. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    we have to stay consistent in order for qatar not to get a direct qualifying spot ahead of us.

1. south korea
    2. Iran
    3. qatar
    4. uzbekistan
    5. lebanon

6. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Oh boy. Another South Korea v Iran group. BS will not cope well!! :D

Altogether I'm happy. Although would have preferred Australia to South Korea, the one team I would have definitely wanted to avoid would have been Japan which luckily Iran couldn't face.

Iraq has history with Iran and they usually play very well and frustrate Iran, so as strong as the Uzbeks are, rather them than Iraq. Lebanon and Qatar should hopefully be OK.

7. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    At the end of the day if we don't get out of this group we should be happy not being in the World Cup.

8. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    we know that we will never do anything in the world cup... so lets just enjoy being there.:D well hey, we might win 1 match in group stages, which would be an achievement.

9. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    If Iran doesnt comes first in the group, Id be disappointed, and who cares about 3rd place? Thats too much work. Iran probably doesnt deserve to be in the WC if they dont come first or a close second in my opinion.

10. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    As much as I know that I am biased and probably think far too highly of Iran, I agree that Iran should really top this group. No excuses. And yep, if Iran doesn't end up in top 2, it will not make it, nor would it deserve to!

11. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I dont know about finishing first, South Korea and uzbekistan will be tricky. However its safe to say that if we dont quality by finishing in top 2, its a disaster/HUGE disappointment And as Bob said no excuses would be acceptable. Things haven looked this good in a looong time. We have a great squad (karimi should retire though). Inclusion of dejagah and most probably gucci...
    Not only that, but i cant remember the last time we this good depth in Team Melli.

Last but not least we have some real great talents emerging, like Omid Alishah and Payam Sadeghian that is going to be really interesting follow and see if they can break in to the national team. If nothing else, the future does not look all too shabby.
    And call me stubborn but i still have NOT given up on Karim Ansarifard. Right now it looks as if if its à mental factor blocking him but i really hope he can break through and live up to the hype surroundind him (maybe that is where the problem lies)

12. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    If Gucci makes it, it might take some pressure off Ansarifard and hopefully deliver what he does in IPL.

The only real worry I have is defence. Going forward, most of the midfielders seem like they can score (which is why we don't actually need a number 10 to score goals, of course having one would help), but defensively, it always looks rather suspect.

13. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You say things like this, yet you trash-talk Korean football so much....:rolleyes:

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i say the truth in all cases. south korea have won 1 game against a coachless 10 man togo and 1 game against greece in their entire non hosted world cup history. nothing to be proud of either. so i dont trash talk too much. you do.:rolleyes:

15. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Iran has won one game against the USA wheen they just started to play football, and they.....................TIED against the mighty strong ANGOLA.

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    my point is that south korea didnt do much better.

17. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    :rolleyes:

18. Farhad Khan

Farhad Khan Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Asia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    bro tiger. there's no denying korea is better in wc than iran. history shows that. no denying that. but the games in asia are totally different. persianfootball never said we did better, he just said we'd be happy to be in WC.

19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We also drew Scotland in 1978 back when they were a strong international force

20. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Ok, but before we get to the World Cup, we have to play two matches against each other, and the record is 9-7-9 no? Not exactly Korea dominating us.

21. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    I'd personally love to see all 4 AFC reps make it out of their group, against all odds, in Brazil.

22. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Despite all the shit talking I do, (and will inevitably do this year too), when it comes to WC, I would happily cheer for Japan and SK (even NK) against almost any other nation as the Asian representatives.

Although, slightly tougher to cheer for Australia or Saudi Arabia! :D

23. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeah true, when it's time for the WC I support all Asian representatives, we have to change the perception that AFC is a weak confederation.

24. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    l genuinely like Japan as a fan, and I support Australia, Korea and every other Asian representative each World Cup, because their success means AFC's success. The only time I cheered against a AFC representative, was Saudi Arabia in 2002 World Cup for how they undeservedly qualified over Iran due to the Bahrain-Saudi collaboration. Otherwise, I even rooted for KSA against non-Asian teams in 1994 WC, 1998 WC and 2006 WC.