World Cup 2014 - Group F: Preview & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria' started by jimmi_moh, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Teams :
    Argentina
    Bosnia
    Iran
    Nigeria

Congrats Bosnia for their first entry to the World cup , and for many this group is pretty easy but in a world cup all the groups are tough. my take for second round
    1:Argentina
    2:Bosnia

[sorry to many Iranians fans here , its just my personal opinion]

Sarajevsko Pivo repped this.
  2. Team Melli 2014

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Thank god we finally have a dedicated Group F thread!

3. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a pretty close group.

1. Argentina

Obviously the strongest NT out of all 4.

2. Bosnia/Nigeria/Iran

It's hard to pick a NT who is clearly better than the other 2, which makes this group interesting. While Bosnia does have the better players when you look how many of them are playing in Europe, their H2H record with Iran suggests something else. I haven't watched Nigeria enough times to form an opinion about their team overall but with players like Onazi, Musa, Mikel, Enyeama, Yobo, Emenike, Ameobi and Moses they certainly are not a weak team.

Close, very close.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Can you ask you to share your views on what lessons you might have learned from Argentina's recent victory over Bosnia in a friendly. I know you didn't have Messi, and I am told Bosnia missed a couple of its players too, but seeing that match, do you think Bosnia is a side that can trouble Argentina in the World Cup? How would you rate Bosnia from what you saw compared to some of Conmebol sides you play regularly, excluding Brazil? Thanks.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually, we seem to have 2 of them! One in the part of the forum dedicated to the World Cup. I guess they can at some point be merged.

6. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    the friendly which we played , we comes up with a testing formation of 3-5-2 . we know our fullbacks are our weakest link of our defense . and by having 3 CB , we are able to contain most of the bosnian threats .
    and it was not just messi , we played with out pipita,gago,garay too .
    nobody going to write it of any teams in WC , all can cause threat to any team with right strategy , but yes considering the first match for both of us , we are expecting strong 11 from both teams . this going to be a interesting match . but i am expecting a 3-1 victory for argentina

7. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What kind of scoreline do you predict in second match against Iran?
    Our defense have not been tested in friendlies with strong teams, but I hope that Iran will contain it so the scoreline does not become more than 3-0 for Argentina.
    Goal difference may prove to be a decider for 2nd place.

8. Team Melli 2014

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Perspolis
    A better question here might be that how does Argentina perform against defensive minded teams who pull back to their own half with 10 men, as this might be the strategy deployed by Iran in the match vs Argentina :D
    Would your guys get frustrated and under perform if unable to score in say the first hour of the match?

9. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    "Park the bus" from Iran is inevitable, but it will not be able to prevent loss against a team like Argentina. Only keeping the score down. They have several players like Messi, Higuain, Aguero that can penetrate tight spaces

10. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yup , we never faced such situation in our qualifiers and friendlies either , but as you said its quite difficult to park the bus against the team which has , dimaria,aguero,messi and higuain .

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  11. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    A good thing for us is the fact that our first match is against Argentina. I think both teams will play cautious because it's the first duel of the group for both teams and you can't afford to drop points in opening games. That being said, i still expect Argentina to dominate the game but hopefully they won't play with too much intensity.

Bosnian Diamond repped this.
  12. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    IMO we should try to play much intensity as possible and try to grab the match as early as possible , and 3 points in first match will surely ease the pressure for us

13. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Well, that's logical but i still expect Argentina to not give everything they have for this game. Argentina are heavy favourites to win this game and they're favourites in my book too, but i'm hoping we can atleast cause some danger with a corner or so. It'd be a victory if we can manage to leave the pitch with atleast a point, but unfortuneatly, i don't see it happening.

14. Team Melli 2014

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Perspolis
    By the same token, I am quite happy to be playing Nigeria in our opener as the same might hold true with regards to Nigeria. If they play cautiously in the opener we have a far better chance of taking away a point or three in our opener than Bosnia V Argentina. In my book Argentina should have no problem taking 9 points in this group if they don't underestimate the opponents and if one of those classic world cup upsets doesn't happen. So if Iran manages to get something out of Nigeria, then we'll go into Argentina game with less worries. What we don't want is to lose our opener which means we then have to perform a miracle against Argentina to stand a chance to advance.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The idea situation for me is if we faced Argentina last. Opened with Nigeria, 2nd game Bosnia, and then to Argentina. That would have substantially improved our chances. As it is, just as in 2006 but with much greater emphasis, our opener against Nigeria pretty much decides our World cup. If we come out with a point or more, we are in good shape. If not, its over for us before we have even warmed up!

Unak78 repped this.
  16. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I understand your point.

I believe we will face Nigeria in the second game which will be a very tough game and for us, probably our most important one. If Nigeria manages to win against Iran and we lose against Argentina, what will most likely be the case, then they'll play with much more confidencee than us which may give them the edge. I'm hoping for a draw between Iran and Nigeria since these teams are obviously our biggest contestors for the second spot.

In anyway, our second aand third game has to be won if we want to advance.

17. Team Melli 2014

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Exactly! although in one scenario (which is not totally unthinkable either) we will still have chance even if we lose to Nigeria. If Argentina beats everyone and if Bosnia beats Nigeria in the second game, then it all comes down to the last match between Iran and Bosnia. Assuming Argentina beats Nigeria, we then MUST win against Bosnia and then it comes down to goal difference. But hey, i don't like all these if and buts, i'd rather draw Nigeria and have our faith in our own hands up until the last minute.

18. Team Melli 2014

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Have Argentina and Bosnia lined up any good friendlies in the coming months guys? So far Iran has failed to secure any proper friendlies, was just wondering what the status is on the other teams of Group F

19. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
    Iran never parks the bus from the get go against any team unless maybe if we go ahead a goal, we are not Greece. We didn't park the bus in front of Brazil and Germany so I don't see why Argentina would be any different. If anything Argentinas playing style suits us very well and I am confident we will leave that match with either a point or even 3 points and I'm pretty sure we will beat Bosnia that will only leave Nigeria as based on their playing style they are the most dangerous team for Iran out of the 3 IMO. All in all I'm confident we will qualify from this group and am pretty happy with the teams we drew and looking at how the teams from this group will play the teams from arguably the weakest group in the tournament in the next round I'm even pretty confident we will reach the quarter finals as well.

20. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    As it seems that none of Bosnia or Iran bunker, I think that makes Nigeria's chances much better. We don't really play well against bunkering teams. We play Bosnia in very hot and humid conditions right after they most likely lose to Argentina. It will be hard but I don't think they will be able to cope with us in those temperatures, especially if they have to come out for a win.

21. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    That's actually not a good thing. You don't want to play the best team first. You want to play them last after they've presumably already qualified.
    Here's another person who understands the order that you want to play teams. All things considered you want the toughest team last bc that's the best means of getting a result against them that the other teams in the group likely will be unable to manage. It's almost like an extra point.

22. osmanovic

osmanovic Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    FK Sarajevo
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I can't believe you actually think you have a chance against Argentina. I'm predicting that Iran finishes with 0 points. I hope I'm wrong and you can get 1 vs. Nigeria, that would help us out a lot. I honestly cannot believe how cocky the Iranian posters have been about their chances vs. Bosnia. Bosnia is much more talented and will score several goals vs. Iran. And you will not be able to beat Begovic in goal. Nigeria is the team for us to fear they have amazing pace and a great goalkeeper.

Also I think that the game vs. Argentina will be more entertaining than the friendly we played. I think that Susic will change his tactics so that we have a bigger chance of competing in midfield. If Susic picks the correct tactics I could see us playing a 1-1 or 2-2 tie if we are lucky. Either way it should be great contest and the atmosphere at Maracana will be electric!

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    are you serious? have you seen what bosnian fans have been saying? have you seen what you just said? there is NO WAY you will beat Iran by more than 1 goal, that is even IF you win, which you probably wont.

24. meck01

meck01 New Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be very close - Argentina should go through along with one of the other 3.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know what makes you or your predictions worth more than anyone else, but thanks for sharing them.

At this time, though, my money is on Iran to beat Bosnia, or at worse get a draw. That prediction is not based merely on emotion or wishful thinking. It is based on knowledge of two facts that trump all others for me.

First, unlike Bosnia, Iran has been to the World Cup and has been tested there. We haven't been great, but unlike the team you are so proud of beating to make the World Cup (namely Greece), Iran has never gone pointless in any World Cup tournament. Not in 1978, when it drew Scotland's so-called "best ever team" 1:1. Not in World cup 1998, when it beat a totally arrogant US team (one that had defeated some big names in friendlies before the World cup). Nor in World Cup 2006 either, even if we deserved much better than just getting 1 point from Angola in that World Cup.

Second, and you know this one so I won't belabor the point: Iran has defeated Bosnia, not once, not twice, not three times, but four times in a row. You are not going to talk yourself out of that kind of a head to head record; you will need to prove something on the playing field first. Once you have, you can come here and talk about Iran going pointless, but before then, I am afraid you are just trying to blow smoke to cover the facts.

As for Argentina, it is just a privilege getting to play them. Whatever the result, the game will be an opportunity for Iran to show itself to the world. I hope we take that opportunity and use it well.

Against Nigeria, however, it will be all about getting a result. That is actually our do-or-die match.

s7kru and jimmi_moh repped this.