WORLD CUP 2014: ESPN/ABC Coverage/TV Ratings Prognasis

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Aug 2, 2013.

1. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    We are still 10 months away, but let the ratings game and TV Coverage discussion start. As we know, this is going to be ESPN and Univision last World Cup dance for a while. As you can see, ESPN is going all in once again for World Cup 2014. Here are some highlights for ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 coverage:

1. All 64 matches will be broadcast live and in HD on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and WatchESPN.
    2. More than 280 original hours of soccer coverage will air across ESPN platforms from June 12-July 13, 2014.
    3. Next year’s coverage will also include a new 90-minute postgame (World Cup Live) show after each match. In 2010, it was a 30-minute show.
    4. ESPN will air World Cup Primetime, which will include highlights from matches of the day and condense them into a two-hour show.
    5. Segments of SportsCenter and ESPN FC, the new daily soccer show launching this August, will broadcast from Brazil.
    6. ESPN haven’t confirmed the talent that will be commentating the games, but it’s likely to feature Martin Tyler, Ian Darke, Derek Rae and Adrian Healey.
    7. The same applies to studio talent, but don’t be surprised if you see the World Cup 2010 studio team returning that will include Michael Ballack, Roberto Martinez, Steve McManaman and Alexi Lalas, as well as studio host Bob Ley.
    8. ESPN’s studio that they’ll be using for the tournament will be set up at a resort in Rio. ESPN is building two studios at the location — one for ESPN and the other for ESPN Deportes. It promises to be a beautiful location, right on the beach with a view of Copacabana Beach as a backdrop.
    9. ESPN will be working with ESPN Films on projects for the World Cup, as well as bringing back its video vignette series entitled I Scored A Goal In The World Cup Final.

jcvf90 repped this.
  2. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    What happened during WC2010:

As for ratings, ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 averaged 3.2 million viewers for WC2010. Some more highlights from TV Ratings...
    • Out-of-home TV viewing would lift TV ratings by 14%, and use of non-TV platforms would have added another 32%.
    • The 2010 World Cup ranks as the ESPN networks’ most-watched World Cup ever. ESPN TV networks delivered more than 3.2 million average viewers per live game, an increase of 41% over the 2006 World Cup.
    • The 3.2 million average viewers [per game] become 4.7 million average consumers when out-of-home TV viewing and usage of other platforms is included. 2.4 Million watched it on Univision. Total average audience: 5.6 million (both networks)
    • ABC's coverage of the 2010 Final (Netherlands/Spain) had an average audience of 15,544,517 viewers making it the most-watched Men’s World Cup telecast ever. We estimate the out-of-home/Non-TV lift at 17%, making our total average audience 18.1 million. Total Audience (including Univision) was almost 25 million viewers (8.8 million on Univision)
    • Generally speaking, the lower the in-home TV viewing as measured by Nielsen, the greater the lift from out-of-home viewing and usage of other platforms. For the last day of match play for Group B (Tuesday June 22) the lift was 235%.'

3. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Univision's World Cup 2010 Story:

As for Univision during WC 2010, Univision averaged about 2.4 million viewers for the whole tournament.

The June 27th Round of 16 match between Mexico and Argentina was the most watched event in the history of Spanish-language television with 9.4 million viewers. Averaging 4.5 million Total Viewers, the June 26th Round of 16 match between Ghana and the United States was the largest audience for a U.S World Cup match ever in the history of Univision.
    • The 2010 FIFA World Cup™ included 4 of the 5 most watched World Cup matches in Univision’s history:
    Date Start Time End Time Match Total Viewers 2+
    6/27/2010 2:30 PM 4:28 PM ARGENTINA VS. MEXICO 9,405,222
    7/11/2010 2:30 PM 5:35 PM SPAIN VS. THE NETHERLANDS 8,821,358
    6/24/2006 3:00 PM 5:37 PM ARGENTINA VS. MEXICO 7,154,538
    6/17/2010 2:30 PM 4:29 PM FRANCE VS MEXICO 6,036,011
    6/11/2010 10:00 AM 12:00 PM SOUTH AFRICA VS. MEXICO 5,959,041

4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The 2014 World Cup TV Ratings/Coverage Prognosis:

1) ESPN/ABC's TV ratings should increase by 25%-40%. This means the average for the whole tournament should reach around 4.0 million-4.5 million viewers.

2) Univision's TV ratings will increase by 10%-15%. Univision's average viewership will settle around 2.65-2.75.

3) ESPN/ABC's coverage will outshine Univision's coverage once again (this was the case during the WC2010).

4) The Total Average Viewers for the whole tournament for both networks will be around 6.5-7.25 million.

5) ABC is scheduled to show 11-12 games live, and we might see some early primetime matches on ABC. A group play featuring USMNT (if scheduled around 6:00 pm EST) will end-up on ABC (weekday/weekend). Generally speaking, we have a total of about 10-11 matches scheduled around 6:00 pm EST during WC2014. We will even see one game scheduled around 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm EST during group play.

6) USMNT group games should average around 12-14 million viewers on ESPN/ABC. I expect a minimum of 10 million viewers during the group play featuring USMNT. A group match featuring the USMNT in early primetime hours on ABC could settle around 16-18 million viewers.

7) During the knockout stages (if the US makes it), we will see numbers reaching 20+ million viewers (especially if shown on ABC and a weekend affair). Regardless, we will see a new record high TV ratings for the USMNT in WC2014.

8) Univision could see a new high with about 10-11 million viewers watching a match featuring Mexico (pending the qualification).

*9) The 2014 World Cup Final on ABC will reach a new record high. I expect the ratings will be around 19-22 average viewers. At a minimum, It will increase by 25% over WC 2010 Final.

*10) Univision's World Cup Final rating will settle around 10-11 million viewers, which will be a new record as well.

11) The Total average audience for WC 2014 Final will be around 29-34 million viewers.

12) The Out-of-home numbers will increase TV audience by 20% during WC 2014 (up 5% from 2010). Therefore, we just add 20% to all the numbers. For example, with Out-of-home numbers, the final on ABC would be actually 20% highers. The real numbers will be around 23-27 million for ABC. I wouldn't be surprised to see these numbers increase to 25%.

* We have to note that a US Showing or Mexico showing in the Final will dramatically change the outcome. With a US showing in the Final, we could see numbers reaching as high as 35-45 million viewers on ABC.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to guess that Palomo and Moreno will be the broadcast team for matches involving Latin American teams.(I am almost 100% sure about this based on the Confederations Cup coverage.)

I am also going to guess ESPN Deportes will do the games in Portuguese again since the Tournament is in Brazil. (This one is more 50-50)

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for Univision's coverage they will probably simulcast everything on Univision Deportes Network like they do most of their big games these days. They will probably have hours and hours of pregame and post-game with don francisco, midgets,& bikini clad waitresses being involved somehow.

Now I am wondering if Univision will probably have all the games available ondemand on more providers than just comcast this time around.
    Also, Dish Network had an Univision channel that showed the games over and over in a loop 24/7 if I remember correctly.
    Can't wait to see what they do in 2014.

7. southboound24

southboound24 Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Stingbee this post is why people keep on coming back to this forum
    AWESOME
    THANKS

stingbee30 repped this.
  8. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Here is my other take:

The #USMNT Spin:

The US WCQ Final round in this cycle is averaging about 1.6 million viewers on ESPN. This almost a jump of 50% from the previous cycle on ESPN/ESPN2 (when it averaged around 700k-800k viewers). In the previous cycle, most of the games were shown on ESPN2. In this cycle, the games have shifted to ESPN. I expect the remaining two WCQ games to pull healthy numbers culminating with a new record when #USMNT meets Mexico for their 2nd leg. That game should pull 2.5+ million viewer on ESPN eclipsing the 1st leg numbers. ESPN's average for this cycle should settle around 1.8 million. If anything, this is a great indicator that the US market is finally embracing it's national team and we can see the uptick in the ratings. The momentum from #GoldCup should trickle down to the remaining WCQ games on ESPN. The last #USMNT home game for WCQ will also be seen on ESPN (ESPN needs to keep the momentum going before WC2014 starts). In this cycle, all the final round games will be shown on ESPN (not ESPN2).

To suffice, this gives us an early indication that USMNT games during next year's WC will see tremendous upside. In my opinion, we are already becoming a Soccer nation. I really feel good about this group playing for the USMNT. Most will argue that this is the best pool of players assembled to lead the USMNT World Cup campaign. I'm hoping that we get one or two early primetime matches for the USMNT during the next WC. We will see how far we have come, and how big Soccer is in this country.

#WC2014 will be another momentous event for Soccer in this country. We are trending towards seeing some real magical numbers during the next World Cup. This is why I feel bullish that some of the games will end-up on early primetime on ABC next year. ABC/ESPN already know that they could pull great number.

9. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    I wouldn't count on ESPN going out of there way to put USMNT games on ABC. Last cycle ABC got 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday games for the 2 week group stage, 1 a day for the 4 weekend days. I would expect that to continue and if the USMNT falls on that day than they may end up on ABC again. ABC also got the 2 Saturday quarterfinals along with the 3rd Place game and Championship match, so that is likely what will happen again if the schedule is similar. Don't count on ESPN to move anything to ABC even a big USMNT game.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I tend to agree with you but I believe that Stingbee's point is there could be more ABC games if the start time correlates with our 6PM EST time slot. Last cycle none of the games were that late so they conflicted with soaps and other female demo shows at those early times.

11. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.

I agree they could make it work to put games on ABC, although affiliates would NOT like their local news and Wheel of Fortunate/Jeopardy Hours preempted. 6 - 8PM est is a big time for local affiliates. BUT I just don't think they will even bother. ESPN wants a much quality content on ESPN not ABC. Last year getting the US England match on ABC was a very fortunate coincidence, if it had fallen at any other time other than the 2 PM Saturday or Sunday slot it would have been on ESPN. ESPN has no financial incentive to put more than necessary on ABC. Affiliates will likely get 1 match per Saturday and Sunday during the group stage, at least 1 QF and the 3rd Place game and Finals. I predict 8 games MAX on ABC

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are probably right. But a man can dream.

I think it would be cool to have a World Cup/ NBA finals double header on ABC.
    Would be sweet.

13. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006

Sorry, but you will see 11-12 games on ABC...ESPN main guy also thinks that the ratings will be much higher due to better time zone. ABC and the local affiliates will be ok to have a lead in programming that could bring millions to their platform. This WC will bring Soccer ratings to a new high. The games are much bigger. ESPN is spending millions to showcase the games. Disney/ABC will do whatever to accommodate ESPN. A weekday USMNT early primetime match will give ABC more than 10+ million viewers. That is the minimum I'm expecting. The numbers could actually reach the 15 million or so for group play with a marquee match.

14. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    We are already seeing our first Soccer Primetime match on national broadcast channel this Saturday on FOX...This is going to become a trend in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised to see future Gold Cup matches on Primetime on FOX and we are going too see some primetime matches during the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada on FOX.

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stingbee no way in hell ABC would even carry a soccer game at 6p et on a weekday, that's a prime news cycle for Most Large Markets, ESPN maybe but I highly doubt ABC would do it.. Plus now days Networks would show major events during the weekend leaving the Cable channels the weekday to broadcast them..

16. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although a exhibition FOX is giving Soccer a Litmus test for soccer in Primetime.. But lets be real this is Slow Sports weeks Hardly anything Major Plus lets not forget NFL preason starts this weeknd too so good luck

17. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Also ESPN is not FOX. ESPN charges over $5.00 a subscriber so they want the biggest games on ESPN not ABC. I highly doubt you will see ABC increase their coverage for this world cup. ABC will be lucky to get the games they got last year.

18. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The contract mandated that ESPN has to show somewhere around 10-12 games on over the air platform. I think ABC wouldn't mind having one or two or three matches in primetime when you can get great Demo encompassing young audience. Remember this....ESPN has Sunday and Wednesday nights allocated to Baseball. They might have to utilize ABC to showcase WC games during those evenings. ESPN2 might not be able to absorb all the games especially during the final week of group games when you have two matches starting at the same time. ESPNNews doesn't have the distribution, plus you are poised to see game averages reaching new records. To suffice, the WC viewership is growing with great Demos and it will not be a big deal for ABC to carry some games in early primetime when ESPN is tied up with Baseball and games featuring the USMNT team. The stakes are much bigger and you got millions watching the games. Plus, it will give ABC some momentum during those slow summertime days and allowing them to market their fall line up to a bigger audience.

19. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    A USMNT game in early primetime will score around 12-15 million on ABC even during group plays with a marquee matchup. This will provide a great lead in to local affiliates for their regular programing.

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the latest time slot (eastern) that a WC game will be played in Brazil?

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just like the Confederations Cup I believe it will be 6PM EST. All 6 PM starts during the Group Stage in the World cup though. None in the knockout rounds.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    From FIFA:

The FIFA Executive Committee convened on Thursday 27 September, at the Home of FIFA in Zurich, and approved the kick-off times for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™.

The Opening Match will take place on 12 June in Sao Paulo, with a kick-off time of 17.00.

Group-stage games will be played at 13.00, 15.00, 16.00, 17.00, 18:00, 19.00 and 21:00 local time, with knockout stage matches at 13.00 and 17.00 local time.

The semi-finals will be played at 17.00 local time and the Final, on 13 July 2014 at the iconic Maracana stadium, at 16.00 local time.

All kick-offs are local time, with Cuiaba and Manaus being CET-6, all other venues CET -5.

Sao Paolo/Rio are 1 hour ahead of New York in the summer time so simply deduct 1 hour from above times and you get US eastern. As far as evening kickoffs, there will be 6pm and 8pm matches for the group stage. Nothing past 4pm ET for later rounds....

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

MLSFan123 repped this.
  23. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006

I see about 11 games scheduled @ 6:00PM EST, and one at 8:00 pm during group plays...

MLSFan123 repped this.
  24. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Ok so there is only one possible prime time game then during group stage. Only post game shows will leak into prime time in the east.

25. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.

we will see...but i wouldn't get too excited.