Word of Guardiola

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by KluivertsBoots, Apr 17, 2014.

1. KluivertsBoots

Jun 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a translation from part of Pep's first press conference as Barcelona manager. The club would do well to consult these words again (and again).

"I believe we are in a time when the most important thing is to win. All playing styles are good if they are accompanied by winning.

I intend to convince the players, and all of the people in the club, of the style that I feel.

I can't win without transmitting the style that I feel. I feel what I feel, and I know this is the path that can bring us victory. That is one of being protagonists.

You attack better if you defend better, and you defend better if you attack well.

Everyone partipates.

I don't understand football where some only serve to defend and others only to attack. This will not be in our team, you will see.

The attackers have a defensive responsibility, and the defenders have an attacking responsibility.

Step by step, we know that we don't have time. We know from this point, we must start catching these concepts and put our batteries in.

We can't promote titles, but we will persist and will intend it. Fasten your seat belts. Follow me. Follow me."- Pep Guardiola

inswinger repped this.
  2. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    14 trophies later...

You were also very close to having 2 trebles..

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One little interesting fact.

This is what we recently went through...
    April 2014
    0-1 v Granada
    0-1 v Atletico Madrid

The last time Barca had gone two consecutive matches without scoring a goal?
    August 2008
    0-1 v Widzew Lodz, Champions League playoff second leg
    0-1 v Numancia, La Liga Round 1 (Pep's first match in La Liga)

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he hadn't grown weary. I remember reading (I think on TotalBarca) an article he had written in response to critical raves about a particularly good performance by Barca during the Rijkaard era (the fall 2004 Clasico? not sure), in which he described how he saw the non-negotiable Barcelona philosophy. It was thrilling to read. Those kinds of days seem long gone now.

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Depends on who the club brings in next.
    Someone who's grown up, played and (at the very least) knows the club from the inside-out will incorporate and stick to the "non-negotiable" plan.
    Bring in an outsider and, indeed, we likely won't see "those kinds of days". (Then again, if Rijkaard could do it...)

Btw, is sounds to me like the "non-negotiable Barcelona philosophy" = NO PLAN 'B'. :whistling:

6. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I agree. I think philosophy, strategy (of multiple topics), and tactics are all three different things; and it's possible to have a Plan B for strategies and for tactics within a philosophy that does not change.

inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    evil_allan repped this.
  8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think I recall that game. Barca lost the first leg at home 0-1 and Rijkaard came out with a 3-4-3 in the away leg. Everyone on this forum LOVED Rijkaard's approach that day. Barca won 2-0 to advance, iirc.