#WoosnamCup - NASL Supporters Shield

Discussion in 'NASL' started by DKDynamite, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You are well on your way to be the next commissioner of the league my friend...lol

2. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A large part of why I have grown to hate the split season format. Spring champion needs a reason to compete. Maybe for hosting rights, I dunno.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they win and fold, that would also be a sad end right?

Then again there would always be the defending champions :p

BTW, hopefully they survive.

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fate of the Tampa Bay Mutiny was sealed in 2001 when San Jose won the MLS championship. MLS wasn't going to fold its defending champion, despite San Jose being at the bottom of the league in attendance and revenue. The Mutiny wasn't even in the bottom 2 (possibly not even in the bottom 3), but were too much of a headache for the league. As owners, MLS ran the Mutiny horribly, signed a terrible rent deal with the Glazers, and marketed the team worse than the current Rowdies ownership has marketed our current team. They created the Mutiny problem, and washed their hands of it rather than fighting to find an owner and save the franchise. Oh well, I guess the fans and the Tampa Bay area will forever be blamed for being a "bad soccer market".

So maybe Atlanta winning will save them, too! But probably not.

5. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    The giant disconnect you seem to be having is you are taking the Spring Championship and Fall Championship as one season, instead of he two seasons they actually are. You dont get to play in the Soccer Bowl by excellign for half a season, you get their by WINNING one of the seasons.

If they didn't try that is a failure on their professionalism. As players wining more titles and trophies should be important. I assure you if Cosmos win Spring next year they will also try to win the Fall, because they are a professional club and understand the importance of success.

Sam U El repped this.
  6. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem with your setup is the NASL wants more than two weeks to market Soccer Bowl which the split season allows them to do which really is a positive as opposed to two weeks. The bitching will continue no matter what format they use, people bitched the last two years when Minnesota barely made the playoffs but won in 2011 and made the finals last year. Some complained that the regular season didn't mean much then.

I'd like to see a tweaking of the format, maybe add a third team - the NASL Woosnam Cup winner - into a round robin weekend Soccer Bowl tournament at the Spring Season winners stadium.

7. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best solution is doing something like Ecuador, but if you do that you may not have a title game.

A twist that gives date certainty and has a champnship game would be to give the first game to the Spring winner in a home and away. If the same team wins the Spring and Fall, maybe you have the top two teams play just one game at the the Spring / Fall champions home instead of a me and away. This motivates the Spring champion to try in the Fall. It also means the only variable is if there will be a game two weeks after the season ends and where that will be. For next year this also addresses people hating the Spring season being shorter.

I also like the idea of the third place game but not sure the league is ready.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Woosnam Cup?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if official but at least they did make a mention of it in their website.

http://nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=5826

Then there is this.

10. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think all of us here at BS need a reality check. This league is NOT about us. What we think does not matter. This all about the money. The flunkies running this show are the same ilk as those in the World Cup. All that mattered to them at tonight's coronation game was walking around in their fancy suits and the empty VIP tent. As for the 10-20 format for next season, GET OVER IT, That is the way the suits want it to be and you will like it or you can GO WATCH ANOTHER LEAGUE.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I still think most if not all NASL teams lose money (real loses unlike MLS that may be accounting loses with positive cash flow).

So to make it about the money is important, obviously keeping the fans coming back and new fans coming in is very (the most) important part of the revenue equation.

12. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

Its a fledgling league and will go through growing pains and format edits over the years. Hell MLS is still doing it and back in the day MLS's league set up was every bit or more ridiculous. 8 of 10 teams making playoffs, neutral venue finals, meaningless regular seasons, etc.

NASL will grow and refine thie process over time as legue expands, gets more stability, etc.

13. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's February 10th. Will the official name of the trophy be announced today? If so, what time?

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 to 90 days.

15. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporter's groups held the vote last night. Not sure when they'll announce it.

TerminusFooty repped this.
  16. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for another cup to add to the Cosmos collection....just whatever name you pick, be sure its a CUP...i want to drink out of it.

penske repped this.
  17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, we'll be sure to piss in it first.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny joke, but we all know that cup is never going to make its way to Atlanta. ;)

20. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 TerminusFooty, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Yawn. Your smack-talk has become tiresome...

HailtotheKing repped this.
  21. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been 2 weeks, are they going to announce something?

23. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange. I know the conference call among the supporters groups to vote on the name was held 2 weeks ago, but I don't know the result. That said, the plan is laid out and it should come together pretty well.

24. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what the hold up is?

25. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TSF had a meeting today, and from what we know they are wrapping up some loose ends to make sure they can protect the name, but a decision has been made. It should be released by the twitter account sooner rather than later.

Sam U El and penske repped this.