#WoosnamCup - NASL Supporters Shield

Discussion in 'NASL' started by DKDynamite, Oct 24, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the full year yes.

The best current form? That will be seen in the soccer bowl.

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it would have been great to see WSW reaction after hearing this. Lol.

3. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't even about the Cosmos. This is about having something to play for and recognizing our team for their work this season. If nothing else, the idea of the Woosnam cup motivated our team this week and triggered a clause in our coach's contract that brings him back for another season. We were even willing to poke fun at it by bringing a youth league participation trophy and scratching out the name.

4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tiny or not the NASL is new and will have the chance to try different things. I am sure for the Cosmos Supporters if they should win the Soccer bowl opening the 2014 season at home playing even for a tiny trophy would be able to be promoted and draw a great crowd and Bragg that they have already acquired two Trophies in less than a year of existence. That is if they should win of course.
    Sights then set on the first half Cahampionship and hosting the soccer bowl as well as preparing to make a run at the US open

5. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the youth participation trophy. This isn't a rivalries thread, and this idea came up because of the table, not out of some hatred of the Cosmos. People are using it to poke fun at you, but you're in the Soccer Bowl, so get some thicker skin and ignore it.

blkbrnrvr and TerminusFooty repped this.
  6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we would. This has nothing to do with the Cosmos and everything to do with this stupid ass league format. Even if all teams start at the beginning, this format leaves the door open for the best overall teams in any given year to miss the one game that decides the title. That's pretty stupid all by itself, but then there are other scenarios that just pile on the dumb. The format sucks. You are welcome to disagree, but at least get it through that thin skin that the Cosmos only playing half a year and getting in the Soccer Bowl has nothing to do with the creation of this trophy.

8. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one half of the participants are on good form. The other half seems to have forgotten how to play. Could be an ugly Soccer Bowl final. Hopefully not, though.

9. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get it and I actually like the idea of the trophy. As for the split season format or single table format or playoff format I could really care less. The bottomline is if you don't win the games you need to you won't get hardware regardless of format. I'm happy for the Chickenhawks getting a NASL type Supporters Shield. I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest. I just think it's priceless that you fine folks provide all the threads that give me chances to read or state the Cosmos are going to the Soccer Bowl. Ultimately having more teams in the league will mean a more appealing format... And in case you forgot it the Cosmos are going to the Soccer Bowl. :geek:

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, more teams in the league WON'T mean a more appealing format. It'll mean we get to the point where we only play each team once per season. Which actually starts next season with the stupid 10 game Spring and 20 game Fall. You can't have an unbalanced regular season schedule and not have playoffs. It just doesn't work.

Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think I said I was in favor of a Supporters Cup as well... You just read what you cared about. ;)

Hachiko repped this.
  12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome, then leave the other nonsense out next time and we might get somewhere.

13. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed... As for the schedule I think the way a good chunk of people think regarding the split season format... It was put in place to facilitate the Cosmos (Going to the Soccer Bowl). Which you can't really blame them for becuase the league needed a bit of buzz. Now they may want to do it for another season but I think they are just trying to use smoke and mirrors tbh. Personally I'd like to see the top four teams come in for a playoffs and the team with the top record get a supporters cup... My two cents.

14. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give credit where credit is due. After all, they DID oust my Galaxy in the Open Cup. Two straight years. This team's not too bad.

Congratulations Carolina.

blkbrnrvr repped this.
  15. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, with a balanced home and away schedule. Perfect format for non-pro/rel system.

Antique repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the league grows, this will be difficult. Next year there will be 11 teams right? (if all teams do comeback and all 3 expansion teams work out).

That would be 20 games only if it is home-away balanced or 40 games if they play 4X against each other.

Do the best they could do was 3 games against each other to keep it somewhat balance (still unbalanced as you will play 5 teams 2X away and a different 5 teams 2X at home.)

Obviously I am ignoring the “great idea” that is a 10 game spring followed by a 20 game fall season.

17. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta has been up for sale for a year with no buyers announced and there has been no mention of season tix packages for 2014. Rumors circulating that it will be 10 teams next year with Atlanta folded. Hope it ain't so, but we'll see...

Either way, I am sure they will stick to that same crappy 2014 schedule they have already announced.

18. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 Bklyn Royals Fan, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I hope the NASL gives the Woosman cup official recognition in the future.

In the spirit of Big Soccer, let's talk about messing with the 2015 NASL format

How about the Fall Champion, Spring Champion, Woosman Cup winner, Woosman Cup runner play in a 4 way playoff for soccer bowl 15? When the Woosman Cup runner up wins the soccer bowl there can be more debate about the NASL format!

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess if the winner or runner up of the Woosman Cup wins one of the halves the third place team is eligible?

20. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like that.

21. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Congrats to Carolina on winning the Woosman Cup. As a Cosmos fan I want to improve on our placement this year to win it in 2014.

Sam U El repped this.
  22. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Well, lets be completely honest with ourselves here. The NASL doesn't have a combined Spring and Fall table, as such the Woosman Cup is really nothing more than the fans recognizing a calendar year achievement that isn't the official champion of NASL.

NASL awards two trophies in 2013, one for the team that wins the Spring reg Season, one for the Fall. They then play a "Soccer Bowl" (which really is just a staged centerpiece game the heads of the league want to market) in order to award that Soccer Bowl trophy to one of the season's league champions.

The best "overall" team of the calendar year is great, but unless you actually finish one of the season's as champion then I guess all you are really winning is the Mr. Consistency award for 2013. Quibble about the dual seasons all you want but every team had a fair opportunity to win one of them.

Sam U El repped this.
  23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. You can get into the NASL Soccer Bowl by only excelling for half a season. Just look at Atlanta as a clear cut example of this. Atlanta won the Spring. Good! Great! But then they proceeded to stink up the joint in the Fall. Why bother, right? We're in the soccer bowl final! So now you have team not putting in 100% effort, even 50% effort, so their games are no longer played in the spirit of the game. And they are rewarded for only performing half a year.

Pfftt to that.

I hope they wake up and remember how to play soccer before Saturday, or the Cosmos are going to destroy them. It will be a sad end, especially if Atlanta does get folded in the off season.

TerminusFooty repped this.
  24. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IMHO the league should officially recognize the most consistent team for the year. But what do they get out of it? Maybe that team should get to host the Soccer Bowl and at least make some money out of it, having the game in a neutral stadium seems fair. if you happen to also win spring or fall season you play the game along with the other winner. ..Just a thought.

25. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe the winning club gets to play a game of naked twister with the Cosmos Girls... I'm just saying.

speedcake and TerminusFooty repped this.