Wondolowski makes statistical MLS history?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stan Collins, Jul 15, 2012.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Hannover is interested in him, then why not? They are currently 3rd in the Bundesliga and in a CL spot. Its still early but even if they drop down to 6th place, they are guaranteed an UEFA/Europa League birth. Anything is possible. I guess we'll know more come January.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I suppose a "surprise" team like gladbach last year, or maybe hannover this year, but if they have true ambitions of 1) qualifying for the CL in the first place and 2) making it past the qualifying rounds, is a 30 year old player whose never played in Europe, not been a success at the international level (regardless of the reason why he hasn't been given more shots with the main team)?

I'm really not trying to knock him at all, but trying to predicate his worth on a long shot of playing in the champions league for a Bundesliga team seems a bit of a stretch.

Now if you said a Champions League team from Scandanavia, then I'd fully agree this could be a likely destination, though I have no idea what the pay scale on those teams vs. a high end 1.bl team is.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand your point but regardless Hannover is in fact interested in him. At this point we are all speculating and nothing is concrete but even if he tries and fails, he could still end up doing very well for himself financially (UEFA /CL notwithstanding) and this is great news for a player out of Chico State. Knowing Wondo, he is a great guy and he deserves as much money as he can get , especially considering he made $47k only 2 years ago. I'd be very happy for him if this materializes.

profiled repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed, its great news for him, and I know how bitter sweet it can be to root for a player to move away from the team... such is the life of a league that's mainly a feeder league... You almost want to root for players to be "just good enough" to be very solid MLS stars, but not quite enough to attract big interest from elsewhere.

Sorry for getting this thread so off topic.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Such is the life of MLS but every club around the world. The good players (abroad anyway) are usually sold to top clubs , I.E. Ibra from Inter to Barca to Milan to PSG and Kaka from Milan to Real for a profit and from what I remembered when I worked in Italy with Italian clubs, the players get a cut of the purchase. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on different points of views) , MLS doesn't have this luxury of selling players from one club to another within the same league but its a way of life everywhere else. supposedly, someone in the Quakes thread pointed out that the club (as well as the league) now gets 1/2 of the transaction player purchase so I'm sure that has to be a positive for both parties.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tied RDA tonight. Got 45 minutes to pass him.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This goal was now his 22nd of the year, 6 more goals needed to break Lassiters record with 4 games to go.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ten game winners! Incredible! Anyone know how is Dream (Cam) Weaver doing? :)

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    For the record, the issue had already been brought up. elvinjones's "contribution" consisted of a one-line, knee-jerk, glib, context-free characterization implying someone was getting jobbed. If his goal was to get us to talk about the nature of stupidity, then yeah, clever job. Otherwise, you're crediting the wrong guy for the insight.

Certainly. It's just, I'm hardly surprised when stupid ideas (and that's what I mean by stupid, not that I disagree but that it's pretty clear no thought went into them) are called stupid. It's something of a requirement if the free flow of ideas is to be even remotely productive.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For sure I'd imagine several Scandinavian clubs would be after WONDO. But I'm curious if any Dutch or Turkish clubs have shown interest. He may soon be 30 and basically no international experience but his goal scoring stats don't lie. Worth a look from lower table clubs.

11. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wouldn't it be great if everyone was as smart as you?

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "Dream" Weaver is at 129 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists this year. I don't know if he's been injured or just languishing on the bench in Houston. Other than that, he's still 6'4" and the "handful" that Dom Kinnear said he was when he traded Wondo for him. :--)

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't hear a substantive point in there...

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow 129 minutes, 0 goals and 0 assists? Every time I see Cam's name I can't help but cringe. Dom must be just green with envy. Must be worst trade in MLS history along with the Dom Kinnear for Paul Bravo trade in 1997.....

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballouchy for Beckerman.

RapidStorm repped this.
  16. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    But Weaver has 10 goals in 56 games in his 3+ years with Houston in MLS regular season play. He also has 2 goals so far this year in CCL play.

The trade is still very lopsided, mind you. But do tell the whole story.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Um, the question I responded to was "how is he doing", a question that doesn't normally warrant an answer that spans a 3+ year period. The point remains: if he has not been injured for an extended period this year, he has had trouble getting off of the bench and he has 0 goals and 0 assists in MLS this year. Although he had some early success in his career at Houston, it seems to be on a downward trajectory at this point. So, yeah, that's how he's doing.

18. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Then I'm completely sure that, if the same question were asked about Wondo, you would restrain yourself to only talking about this season ;)

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah that was a good trade for RSL but neither of them are worth a goal scoring duo as Bravo and Wondo were or are. I'm not saying Beckerman isn't a great player but he isn't a goal scorer which IMHO is more important and he has only scored 17 goals since 2007 while Wondo has scored 59 since 2009. Either way, Weaver's numbers, by comparison, are a joke.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You are right they didn't win anything but they were also an expansion team starting from scratch while Houston was already an established winning team. The SJQ beat the mighty Henry led NYRB 2 years ago going all the way to the conference championship. I'm sure that (in this league anyway) has to count for something.

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    RSL was an exapnsion team as well.

22. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    He's custom made for the Italian game I think.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you're only going to consider goal scorers, I'll throw out Cunningham for Mathis then. Cunningham led the Rapids with 12 goals in 26 appearances in 2006 and was traded for an out-of-shape Mathis who got 2 goals for the Rapids in 25 appearances in 2007 before ending up back in NY.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, if I were trying to somehow "game" the discussion to make the Wondo / Weaver trade appear as one-sided as possible, sure, we can focus just on Wondo's 2012 season performance :--).

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And it took five years and a missed Landon Donovan PK for RSL to win anything.