Wondolowski makes statistical MLS history?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stan Collins, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think he's been a bit unlucky in that the factors superdave has described applied to his MLS coaches seeing his potential when he was 22, 23. If he'd gotten a normal MLS career arc for a top player, he'd have been breaking through into being a staple of his team by 24 or so, and at some point he'd have gotten some nibbles from European clubs, in second-tier leagues at least. Then we'd have seen whether he could really adjust to the higher level. Comparatively, it's kind of hard to try to do that one a one-off. We've seen MLS players going abroad often taking several months to make that jump.

I think he's probably a better player than the guy he most often gets compared to, Taylor Twellman. Taylor had the same ability to find half a step and turn that into a shot, and I think his reaction time was just a wee bit faster (there's a reason he was offered a minor league baseball contract out of high school), but I agree that Wondo seems to be able to get better shots off and from more awkward angles. I haven't looked it up, but I'd bet his SOG:G ratio is better than Taylor's. And he's certainly kept the goalscoring levels higher after he'd been in the league a season and opponents had a chance to scout him in depth than was Twellman.

2. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting idea. This is what I came up with for the top all-time league goalscorers.

[​IMG]

Looks like Wondo leads at 0.43, with Ching just behind him at 0.426. Significant dropoff after that to Donovan at 0.392, then another drop to Lassiter at 0.373.

EDIT:
    Ok, went ahead and sorted it:

[​IMG]

itcheyness, sitruc, Ismitje and 9 others repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because your cutoff was just a little higher than I was hoping I decided to add one more:

Conor Casey 49 106 .462

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that people have widely varying opinions as to how to count PK goals...but G/SOG seems to be one area where you REALLY need to discount PKs or else you're going to completely distort what you're trying to describe.

I know that's a hell of alot more work, so we can just finesse it by discussing which of those guys scored alot of PK goals, without worrying about the misses. For one thing, I'll bet that accounts for Steve Ralston's high ranking.

But that's a quibble about the list as a whole. When it comes to Wondo, Neuworld did a terrific job using stats to buttress a subjective point, namely, that while the main skill of Wondo's that pundits talk about is his ability to get space to get off a shot, his ability to get that shot off frame is his real main asset.

sitruc, Ismitje and Hararea repped this.
  5. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Casey needs to score more goals to make the first page if he wants to be included :D
    Seriously though, yeah, Casey's numbers are all very good.

I could do that, but how? I'm thinking I could subtract their PK goals from their goals and PK attempts from SOG. Only problem with that is that it assumes all attempts are SOG.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he had 1 goal with 1 SOG tonight, so he's only one off the first page of the list and his ratio is now .467 :D

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wondo screwed up on the 2nd pk last night. I just don't get the encroachment call on the pk. I mean there is always movement into the penalty box on every pk I've ever seen and even on the second one where Wondo missed so why wasn't that called or does the ref give them advantage to Dallas on that one? I mean I know its the rules of the game but every player approaches the box on each pk so why all of sudden is it called now? Don't get it. Quakes & Wondo were fortunate to get out of that one....

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What are the chances that re-taken penalty kick ends up being the decider of him breaking the record...

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, as a matter of fact, I don't.

profiled repped this.
  11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ok so now he has 10 games to score 10 more goals to tie, 11 goals in 10 games to break the record.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see it happening but I'll definitely be rooting for him

13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    This may sound ridiculous, but Wondo reminds me of Raul. He never looked the part either, but he was a poacher plain and simple.

If he could latch on to a good mid table Italian or Spanish side that gets some possession, I think he could be a goal machine. He needs good through ball or head service because he's not going to go all Suarez or Messi anytime soon. He's got the movement off the ball though. He's really good at making that diagonal run through the defensive line unmarked, and then he scores with any part of his body.

blacksun and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  14. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Terry agrees with you (~50 seconds in)

Unak78 repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, at this point, doesn't seem like it's going to happen, but historically he's gone into stretches where he's scored in bunches (hat tricks, braces, etc.). So we'll see - needs another one of those stretches.

16. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Everyone jinxed him with all the talk.

That said, 11 in 10 isn't unthinkable. One hat trick would bring it down to 8 in 9. A brace on top of that and it'd be 6 in 8. In 2010, when he ended up on 18, he only had 7 goals after the second week of August.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm not sure that states a good case. 4 1/2 months and he only had 7 goals.

18. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just pointing out that he got 11 goals in the last 2 1/2 months to close out the 2010 season, so he's done it before. Last year he also got half his goals after the second week of August. He tends to score more at the end of the season.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I figure he's likely to end up with 22-23 goals which is still pretty damn good. No one has scored that many in several years. And it would definitely warrant a few more call-ups soon.

20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's already called up for the game on 8/15 (tomorrow) against Mexico...

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After his PK goal against Montreal on 8/19 he's down to needing 9 goals in 9 games to tie and 10 in 9 to break the record.

22. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    It's a small sample size, but in each of the last two seasons he ended the season very strongly. In 2010 he scored 10 goals in his last 9 games, and in 2011 he scored 8 goals in his last 9 games. I don't see it happening because defenses key so much more on him now (part of why Gordon and Lenhart are scoring so many goals), but it's not out of the question.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After not scoring again last night (8/25), Wondolowski remains at 18 goals. He still needs 10 goals with 8 games left to break the record.

24. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Two matches against Chivas (who has really fallen off defensively), two against Portland, and one against Colorado could help him make things interesting.

25. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think calling Wondo a poacher who is good at deflecting the ball is selling him a little bit short. He does poach, but his overall ability to finish is probably the best in the league, I'd say that the only guy who's even come close in recent years has been JPA. Wondo is one of those rare players who seems equally comfortable scoring with his head or either foot, he can do it from distance or up close, he pulls the trigger so fast he hardly needs any space, and his technique is excellent (go through his highlights and look at some of the volleys he's hit over the years). He is also extremely athletic, it's just that his athletic abilities lie in the area of balance and agility instead of the more often recognized and lauded (or fawned over) speed and strength.

Fanatical Monk repped this.