Wondo to the Galaxy?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ErikTheGalaxyFan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Torres
    Adrian Mutu
    Michael Owen
    Andy Carroll
    Andriy Schevchenko
    Robinho

2. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those guys changed leagues. Carroll was clearly a flash in the pan to everyone but Liverpool. Torres....eh, no one knows what the heck his problem was.

This is just speculating that Wondo would suddenly lose form with no basis. Go watch his goals from the past two years.

Look, I don't think Wondo is or should be a major target for us. I am just reacting to this opinion that he is somehow a garbage goal poacher and that would couldn't possibly use him. That position makes zero sense to me and isn't supported by a single thing that's been said. The fact that Shevchenko couldn't jump from Italy to England really has no relation.

3. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I used the wrong term or I'm wrong about that aspect of his game.

Day in and day out he's been exceptional. I was thinking about the big pressure games such as the playoffs or the Open Cup. Kind of like Fredy Montero - tears it up all season, but has little impact when's he's needed most. It's almost as if he gives 100% every game and when he gets into a big game there isn't anything to step up. My perspective is probably biased, selective and unfair to Wondo because I've been watching Donovan play for so long and seen him turn into Super Landon in the playoffs or World Cups. Donovan, Beckham and Keane have been in big pressure games their entire careers and maybe it's all their experience combined with their skill that sets them apart. But even Magee has been able to make things happen in big games. I haven't seen this in Wondo's game, but he's been in so few big game situations that there isn't a lot of data to analyse. I think this experience or ability is something we'd want in a DP and luckily the LAG have the means to go out and get such as player. I think if we had limited funding, say a DP budget in the $1M range, Wondo would be at the top of my list.

Apologies for the unfair generalization.

4. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tears that would come from SJ would supply SoCal with 20 years worth of water.

5. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goonies don't cry...they die

6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the better to wash my driveway

Hachiko and Topper repped this.
  7. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No apology needed, the clarification makes a lot of sense. And I agree Wondo hasn't produced in the playoffs. It's a small sample size, but it's not a good initial look. I guess you'd hope that some of the Galaxy's clutchness and Keane's insanity would rub off on him. But I agree completely that the great thing about Keane and Donovan is that they have a history or rising to big occasions and you can count on some magic happening.

Topper repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "Count on some magic happening"? I guess so, depending on exactly how you define "magic". There's Keane magically blowing chance after chance to save West Ham from regulation in 2011, in what one British writer called a "wretched campaign", and then there's Landon Donovan with a "magical" PK skied over the bar, effectively killing his team's chance at winning MLS Cup.

And here's Wondo "not producing" in the playoffs.

9. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, where are his other playoff goal videos??? I could not find them...

juniorLA and TrickHog repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Goals in last 4 playoff games and All-Star game:

Wondo: 2
    Donovan: 0

11. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are counting All-Star games but not MLS Cup?

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Meant to write "real goals", not a PK, especially when LD didn't earn it.

It's fine if Wondo supposedly isn't "big game" enough for ya'll. The idea that you'd somehow "poach" him from SJ is complete fantasy anyway. It would happen over his dead body.

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, first, I said Wondo's sample size is too small. But I most certainly do NOT count glorified exhibition games (that's what all star games are) and if you want to count every time a player comes up short...well. heck, Landon and Robbie have powered their teams into so many pressure-packed games that there are bound to be some flops. Second, if you watch a highlight reel of USMNT best moments (say a "top ten") you are sure going to see a lot of Landon Donovan. If you want Galaxy highlights, same thing. Robbie's been similarly effective. Wondo's highlights are all regular season highlights. Not that he couldn't do it possibly, but he hasn't yet, and he's not even in the same area code as Keane and Donovan in terms of Big Goals. That said, of course I would take him on our team, and I think anyone who wouldn't isn't looking at him fairly. But it goes way too far to say he's the equal of Donovan or Keane in big moments. that's just nucking futs, as they say.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  14. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said that he wasn't "big game" enough, I'm just sayin your proof is a little flimsy...one career playoff goal isn't compelling evidence that he is "big game". But whatever, he could change that perception next season with a strong showing in the playoffs...when he's suited up in the white, blue & gold ;)

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly. If you guys understand that the sample size is tiny for Wondo in the playoffs, and that we can't make any conclusions either way, I feel that my work is done here. There are a couple of things at work here: 1) sample size, and 2) arguably, "clutch" is a myth to begin with. I think the sabermaticians have more or less proven that, though, yeah, different sport. But I think it would apply to soccer as well.

Out of curiousity, what is Donovan's goals per minute in the playoffs vs. regular season? If "clutch" applies to anyone, it might be him because he seems to have had motivational issues in his career. But in general I think "clutch" is a myth.

16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is a God, and he likes San Jose, he'll find a way to put you in charge of LA player evaluation and acquisitions :)

17. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    One can only dream...:(

18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    You know, you probably shouldn’t bang on about sample size when you make statements like this, kind of ruins the illusion you actually know about sample size. Oh and it’s relegation, not regulation.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's all about context and actually following the thread of conversation. Another poster claimed that you could "count on some magic happening" with Keane and Donovan. That's what I was responding to there. It takes only one counterexample to disprove the "count on some magic happening" statement. You don't even need to get into sample size, but thanks for checking in.

20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Oh you mean like “Goonies Never Say Die”

21. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altered for clarity and correctness.

22. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why have you even "checked in" JazzyJ? Get out of our thread. You're not adding anything constructive. Go find a team.

23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is here because the idea that the Galaxy could actually tempt Wondo is an absolute possibility that fills his smurf San Jose fan heart with legit fear. The Earthquakes is a team that has a history of not spending the money it takes to keep guys that don't suck on the roster after all and Wondo both wants and deserves a significant raise. LA could give him that and much more and they know it. I can smell the fear all the way over here in Minneapolis lol.

7E23 repped this.
  24. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look around the San Jose area. It's pretty obvious God doesn't like San Jose.

God even let Baby Jesus go from San Jose to LA.

Hachiko repped this.
  25. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And grow the championship patches of grass. Here's to green thumbs mixed with Smurf Tears®!

TrickHog repped this.