Women's League in Italy

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by bzygo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Third matchday last week-end, with loads of goals but no big surprises: Torres and Verona didn't feel the efforts of the CL matches and both won, Brescia and Tavagnacco too, as well as the surprise team Riviera di Romagna :).

Brescia - Lazio 5-2
    Chiasiellis - Mozzanica 1-1
    FiammaMonza - Tavagnacco 1-6
    Firenze - Riviera di Romagna 3-4
    Mozzecane - Como 2-4
    Pordenone - Grifo Preugia 2-1
    Torino - Verona 1-5
    Torres - Napoli 3-0

In the table, Torres and Riviera di R. lead with 9 pts., Tavagnacco has 7 pts, Verona, Brescia and Mozzanica 5 pts.
    The usual highlights:

2. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry, I posted twice the same video instead of this:

3. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here I am again, after a 2-weeks blackout due mainly to a loooongish removal :sick:
    Nothing noteworthy to write about in the last gamedays, all the big teams won, while the outsider Riviera di Romagna lost its first match 2 weeks ago. Three matches have been postponed because some key players in not top teams played the Euro U19 Quali.
    Last Saturday matches:
    Pordenone - Torres 1-2
    Tavagnacco - Firenze 4-1
    Grifo Perugia - Riviera di Romagna 0-1
    Napoli - Chiasiellis 0-0
    Mozzanica - Brescia 0-2
    Lazio - Mozzecane 1-2
    Como - Torino 3-1
    Verona - FiammaMonza 2-1
    In the table, Torres now is leading with 18 pts, Tavagnacco has 16 pts, Riviera di Romagna 15, Brescia 14 and Verona (1 match to catch up) 11 pts.
    On Wednesday, both Torres and Verona will play CL, both asked the Italian Fed to postpone their championship matches next Saturday, don't know they have been pleased with it...:cautious:
    Highlights of 3 matches:

4. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last week the woman insert of the more important Italian newspaper, La Repubblica, published a long article about the women soccer in Italy. Altough the journalist is far from being an expert of this world, and this "naivitè" shows in some parts, it gives a not banal view of the current situation and can be useful for whoever is interested in knowing more about the health state of the italian women soccer; so I decided to translate it (excepted the parts in which is described the situation in other countries, citing facts and figures that we all already know) and to put it here.
    Probably there will be some grammar mistakes, I hope that everything should be understandable :coffee:
    The original link (with a few photos): http://d.repubblica.it/argomenti/2012/11/02/news/donne_calcio_sport-1332683/
    the translation:
    Why the soccer is good for the girls

What's the link between emancipation and soccer ? Simple, the better the women live, the more they take the field.

“...For better understanding what's the women soccer in Italy we went to Mozzanica, 4,621 souls in the province of Bergamo. It's an October Saturday afternoon. Patrizia Panìco pulls up her socks, 4 teammates are waiting her for the warm-up. If she lived in Germany or France, Patrizia Panìco would be a star. She would be invited in TV and schools, and would earn 3-4 times. Born in Roma 37 years ago, she took Carolina Morace's place as the symbol of our women soccer. 11 times best scorer in Serie A, scored 500 goals during 550 matches, winning 8 titles. In the NT she's the 2nd ever scorer, and above all, she's the most capped player with 178 caps. Today Patrizia, captain of Torres (the last 3 years “killing-championship” team) will play away against Mozzanica, that last year finished fifth. In the stands there are about 200 viewers, the admission is free (who wants can buy lottery tickets and win a basket with wine bottles). It's not the same that playing at Camp Nou in Barcellona, but whatever. “In Italy the level is lower, and the society considers us mainly as tomboys”, Patrizia says.
    Today to “take care of her” will be Angela Locatelli, 24 years old, captain of Mozzanica. She would like to devote more time at soccer, but she can't. In Italy women soccer is amateurish, means that to live you have to find an other job. Angela is a student and helps the family in their pastry shop: “here somebody earns 200 euro/month, others 500, nobody goes beyond 1.000 euro”. Since all Mozzanica players study or have jobs, they train 3 times weekly in the evening, and during the winter it's not the best thing. For the best players (Panìco included) there is a salary cap, 26.500 Euro yearly after tax.
    “..Manuela Tesse of Torres, is one of the few female trainers in Serie A, only 4 on 16. “Here nearly all the women sport is attended less than the men's one, and this situation is even more visible in soccer. But we are the cleaner side. From Sassari, 36 years old, she's been one of the milestones of the NT: “In Germany, Sweden, the pace and the interest are far different. I think it's a mirror of the women condition in the society, and that's linked to the religious heritage too. In the northern Europe countries, of protestant heritage, the woman can celebrate mass, and she's treated with respect too when she plays soccer.”
    “....The more advanced is the women emancipation, the better the female players are treated in soccer. And here there is more than a problem. A player wrote on internet about injuries she got from male referees: “This because often referees see as a punishment to conduct a women soccer match”, Angela says. Moreover there is a security problem: “Only since last year the ambulance during matches is mandatory”. When last April Piermario Morosini died for a heart attac during a match, Patrizia Panìco carried on a controversy and obtained to have the defribillator also in the women matches. For lack of funds, every year Rai Sport broadcast only a few matches of the championship (usually never mentioned in the main sport shows).
    But who can have the guts to invest in such a sport ? To the construction firm owner Luigi Sarsilli, the idea came watching her daughter playing. He developed a passion, founded the Mozzanica Sport Women Club, and drove it from Serie D to Serie A. “My target is the title winning”, he's daydreaming, while is watching Torres overwhelming his girls. “Of course, there is no profit, and the FIGC (Italian Soccer Federation) doesn't give a cent.”
    The italian men and women soccer is ruled by FIGC, and is divided in professional and amateurish: to the former belong men Serie A, B and C, to the latter the lower men divisions and all the women soccer. But something is changing.
    In September 38 clubs, 9 of them of Serie A, founded the Italian Association of the Women Football, that aims to leave
    the Amateur League and to be put directly under the Federation: “There hasn't been the will, from the leadership of the italian sport, to make this sport grow”, says the AICF president Roberto Salerno, “we are asking for the funds of the Melandri Law for the minor sports.”
    The Amateur League, from June 2011 is managed by a commissioner, Carlo Tavecchio, 69 y.o., who replies: “FIGC invested more than needed, in the NT. About the championships, instead, we are still paying for the 1983 and 2010 defaults. The Melandri Law ? Mr Salerno must know that, if we should split those funds, each of the more than 300 clubs would get only few bucks. Three years before last default they have been given 300.000 Euro (in total). If the clubs will stay under our League, they will have a self-managed department, we will cover the 500.000 Euro hole, we'll put an other 400.000, and will ask the FIGC 200.000 more.”
    The NT is trained since last May by the former WC Antonio Cabrini: “In the Euro2013 our target is to reach the first few places, although in Serie A there are only 5/6 high-standard teams. A suggestion to the FICG ? Should oblige the male teams to provide a young girls' branch, like Arsenal, Barcellona and Lyon.”
    Mozzanica-Torres ended 0-4. After the final twistle the pastry shop of Angela's father offers two trays full of cakes. Patrizia Panico scored a beautiful lob goal. Wearing a tracksuit, on the fieldside, looks satisfied about the victory (“but Mozzanica didn't deserve to be 4 goals down”), less about her performance: the duel between the championess and the pastry girl has been tougher than expected. Now is ready to go to study, she's a few exames away from a Communication Science degree. “I'd like to be a sport journalist, but it will be tough”. And the future of the women soccer, how do you see it ? “A lot of women are fond of the men's soccer. Why they shouldn't be fond of the women soccer too? There is a market, also because, at the end, we are the majority, we never must forget it.”

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone is going to get a talk to by the mods.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had noticed (and read) the same article, Gricio, but I didn't go so far as to translating it here... :giggle: Great job, Gricio! :thumbsup:
    The article shows that maybe something is moving in Italian Women's, although I guess it was mostly about the development of women's football in the rest of the world... :cautious:

Mmm, I am not sure... What rule exactly Gricio61 infringed? o_O Because I admit I am unaware of it, and I could make the same mistake...

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posters are not allowed to copy and paste large sections of articles, they can give a short sample and provide a link to the article.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Neither if it's not really a "copy & paste", but the translation of an article? Doesn't it become something different?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is up to the mods.

I was just joking, not sure how interested the mods are in these things, they probably won't even notice.

But yes, I do wonder what the official policy is about translating and posting large sections of articles.

10. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hi Blisset, glad that you liked it and thanks for defending me ;) but, as Ceezmad said him/herself, he/she was joking. At the end I did exactly what Guignol did a few weeks ago, translating that famous Sonia Bompastor interview, with the difference that I posted the original link, while Guignol (If I correctly remember) didn't do it. At the most the problem could have been with La Repubblica, but I doubt that they care much of BS forum (no pun intended, of course) :unsure:

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree! :thumbsup:

gricio61 repped this.
  12. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last Saturday matchday results:

Mozzecane - Pordenone 4-4
    Fiammamonza - Mozzanica 0-0
    Torino - Napoli 0-1
    Riviera di Romagna - Como 1-1
    Chiasiellis - Grifo Perugia 4-0
    Firenze - Lazio 3-0
    Tavagnacco - Verona 1-1
    Brescia - Torres postponed 14/11 for CL

In the table, Torres leads with 18 pts (1 match to catch up), Tavagnacco has 17 pts, Riviera 16 pts, Brescia 14 (1 match to catch up) and Verona 12 pts (1 match to catch up)

The highlights:

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yesterday, in the paper and on-line edition of "La Repubblica" there was an article by Alessandra Retico about the miserable situation of women's football in Italy (especially if merciless compared to guidance-nations like Germany :rolleyes:). Nothing new, really, for us who already follow women's football (except, maybe, some more exact data), but I guess it's already something in itself that the main italian newspaper begun showing some interest for women's football (after all, Italy has a club in quarter finals of WCL and the NT cruised through the qualifiers for Euro 2013).

gricio61 repped this.
  14. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for the report, Blissett, I didn't read it: Yes, it's a sad situation, let's hope that something will change soon. Here's the link for the Assocalciofemmile website: http://assocalciofemminile.blogspot.it/ : a few months ago, some team managers decided to create a new association, that now represents about half of the Serie A and A2 teams, to lobby with the institutional/political sport management to make thing change. Before the end of the year is scheduled the general assembly of the Women Football Department (within the LND), and in that occasion the associated teams will try to overthrow the current management. I'll keep you updated about the outcome of this event.:cautious:

15. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Meanwhile, a due update about the SerieA: Saturday was the 11th matchday.

Firenze - Torres 1-3
    Mozzecane - Grifo Perugia 0-2
    Fiammamonza - Chiasiellis 1-0
    Tavagnacco - Napoli 3-2
    Torino - Brescia 1-3
    Riviera di Romagna - Pordenone 2-2
    Como - Lazio 4-1
    Verona - Mozzanica 3-1

In the table, Torres is leading with 30 pts (1 match to catch up), Tavagnacco has 29 pts, Brescia 26 pts, Verona 24. Torres has so far won all the matches, and also this year looks the predestined team to get the title (although we are not even at the half of the championship).
    A few highlights:

16. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not much to say about last Saturday, also because 2 matches involving teams at the top of the table have been postponed because the snow. :(
    The results:
    Pordenone - Firenze 1-2
    Grifo Perugia - Como 1-2
    Napoli - Riviera di Romagna 5-1
    Lazio - Verona 2-7
    Torres - FiammaMonza 7-1
    Chiasiellis - Torino 2-0

In the table, Torres obviously leads with 36 points, Tavagnacco has 29 pts and 1 match to catch up, Verona 27 pts, and Brescia 26 pts and 1 match to catch up too.
    Tomorrow will be played the round of 16 of Coppa Italia, in which the teams of Serie A2 take part too, and next Serie A matchday will be on Saturday.
    A couple of highlights:

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi Gricio61. You probably remember that, although I am Italian like you, I am a fan of Nadeshiko Japan national team (and I am one of the main contributors of Nadeshiko Japan official thread :giggle:).

Well, now I have an additional reason to follow the Serie A Femminile here in Italy :): Napoli Carpisa Yamamay has signed Emi Yamamoto, former member of Japanese national team, and the strong midfielder already scored in her first match, vs Lazio on 22th of december. She even had the time to take part to the making of a Christmas charity calendar, made to raise funds for an association supporting women: her picture is on the month of july and you can see it below (the name is wrong, though: she's called Emi, not Emily :laugh:).

[​IMG]

I guess from now on, you're going to see me stick around here on this thread more often, to check the results of Napoli Carpisa Yamamay... ;)

gricio61 repped this.
  18. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hi Blissett, have you seen ? I was going to post this news but you came first ! :p
    By the way, Napoli is a really interesting club: newly promoted in SerieA, their president said that in three years is aiming at the top of the championship...last summer they strengthened the team with some good players (Casaroli, Giacinti, Riboldi etc.), and now this new recruitment.
    At the beginning they paid the penalty against more experinced teams, but since a couple of months they began winning matches after matches and now they are 5th in the table, just behind the 4 top teams.
    The club has the money (Lello Carlino is the owner of Carpisa and Yamamay brands), the facilities (this year are playing at the stadio Collana, in the centre of the town, that the local municipality gave them to manage), and a fast-increasing number of youth teams of all ages, that surely in the future will give them some promising players...the future is on their side ! :thumbsup:

19. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last Saturday matches (at the end without snow !)

Napoli - Lazio 4-1
    Mozzanica - Perugia 2-0
    Chiasiellis - Tavagnacco 1-3
    Torino - Fiammamonza 0-1
    Torres - Verona 1-0
    Mozzecane - Firenze 0-2
    Pordenone - Como 1-1
    Brescia - Riviera di Romagna 1-0

The big match of the day has been decided by penalties: Cristiana Girelli missed the one for Verona, Torres instead scored the one the Ref. generously give to them, so they won the match and now are even more alone at the top of the table: Torres 42 pts, Tavagnacco 32 pts (1 match to catch-up), Brescia 29 (2 matches less), Verona 27 (1 match less), Napoli 21 (1 match less). Next matchday is 5th of January, all the catch up matches will be played within the first half of next month.
    The highlights:

and, if you can see through the fog... :D

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    eheh... :giggle: I was first, but I can only thank a very keen friend on the Nadeshiko Japan thread who gave me the news first...
    Maybe you can help me, though, to solve a "mistery" that I couldn't solve through media or Nadeshiko thread... In one of the articles that I linked to above, it was said that Emi Yamamoto was training with Napoli for months, but the club managed to sign her only last week. What was the problem? She was still tied to her previous club in USA? Or for which other reason she couldn't play for Napoli before? o_O In the interview after saturday's match she says "finally I could be on the pitch with my team-mates", suggesting that there was something stopping her from doing that before...

21. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am sorry, I don't think I can help you on this subject...in fact a few months ago I saw a photoshoot of the summer training camp of the team, and Emi Yamamoto was there, together with an other player from Russia whose name I don't remember now (It was in their facebook page, don't know if you can see them anymore). After, seeing that both girls weren't in the roster, I wrongly supposed they didn't sign with the team, and now all of sudden she is playing...IMO could have been a delay in the trasfert papers, but don't know if from the Japanese or the USA side, may be some friend of yours in the Nadeshiko thread can enlighten you about their transfer rules and if them apply also to players who play abroad (not in JPN) :unsure:
    Anyway, the important thing is that in this training-but-not playing months she has been able to fit well in the team mechanisms, as seems considering her performance ! :thumbsup:

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, since I live in Milano, I have an half idea of going in Como on the 5th of january to watch her play. I've checked on the FCF Como 2000 website, but I can't find at which hour the match Como-Napoli begins: normally matches of Serie A always start at the same hour? o_O

23. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They have just put these info : http://www.fcfcomo2000.com/it/main/notizia.php?notizia_id=326 ,but I suggest you to check again in a few days, since sometimes matches locations and timing change all of sudden (not only for Como, for other teams too) :mad:.
    I live in Bologna, so the only way for me to see SerieA matches is going to Cervia (Riviera di Romagna) or Verona, quite easy by train.. :)

blissett repped this.
  24. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good to hear that a club form south Italy is seriously investing in women football .I have been in Naples and I know how they are good with the ball on their feet there, I am pretty sure a fenomena will come soon.
    Anyway ,Yamamoto playing for Yamamay ...it was destiny!!!.....Ok that was poor .....sorry I am out looool;)

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't worry! I actually had the same thought and made quite the same joke on the Nadeshiko Japan thread! :ROFLMAO:
    We're way out, both... o_O:giggle: