NSR: Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they will not - [23]

Discussion in 'Equipment and Gear Off Topic' started by Skizz, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Football Boots please sir.

2. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol its cool, i was just playing around.
    i personally like boots better, sounds better than cleats, but its just tradition that anything with studs are called cleats in America....well, at least by people that arn't associated with soccer. i mean football.

that leads me to something else, what is everyone's on that side of pond's opinion of the term soccer? i mean, i would obviously think you guys hate the word since football is what it should be called, considering you play with your feet, and america came and stole the name for american football (which dosn't really make sense cuz you arn't really using your feet)....

but here its just super confusing for other people if you say "im going to go play some football" etc.

but are you guys starting to come around to the word soccer? umm, or at least are more tolerant of it? perhaps like it now? or still think its retarded lol

just curious!

3. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i live on your side of the pond, and i STILL dont like the term soccer...seriously, who came up with the term soccer and what does it mean...

on the side: i am really glad most of the kids that post in the boots section haven't found this section yet...

4. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol what're trying to say? should i stop posting in this thread? :(

5. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know whats funny is your question made me curious and i looked it up....apparently it was THE ENGLISH who created the term SOCCER!

read:

"So where did the word soccer come from? I'll try to solve this mystery in the article ahead. You probably know of the slight dispute revolving around the word "soccer". The English will never agree to use the term "soccer" around what they call "football" for centuries.

Paradoxally, the origin of the word soccer comes from…you guessed, England. But in order to fully understand what I'm talking about, keep reading ahead as I'll share some of the beautiful history of soccer. ​

The date of October 26th 1863 is to soccer what March 4th 1787 is to the United States. It's the day that several soccer clubs all around England gathered up in London and formed The Football Association, the first soccer organization up to that date.​

The reason I compared this date to the day the United States Constitution was adopted because the Football Association organized the game into a sportive "constitution" called the Laws of Football. The term "soccer" appeared shortly after, being an abbreviation from "Football Association" (from assoc.) and although not as heavily used as soccer, it was a short, light form to describe the phenomenon. ​

Reportedly, the man who stands at the origin of the word soccer is Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford student who always preferred shortened versions of words, such as brekkers for breakfast, or rugger for rugby."​

6. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    nah, your cool...you actually provide content...it's the omg did see what cr7 did to his socks, i am now going to make 7 threads asking how he did his socks. its those posters that i hope never find this particular forum...

7. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on :cool:
    lol yah i know what you mean, i made a "WHAT SIZE SHOULD I WEAR?" thread mainly to keep those kids out of the other threads with their incessant "i wear size bla bla in vapors, what size should i wear in bla bla?" SERIOUSLY FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF, GO TRY ON A FU@KING BOOT

8. C-dub57

C-dub57 Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Iowa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to answer a bunch of the same questions you do now like a year ago. You'll eventually just develop the "screw it" attitude and just stop answering anything, post a picture once in awhile.

9. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The term 'boot' is a British convention that has been passed down from the days when earlier football footwear covered the ankle.

Since the game of football is conventionally seen as a British game, more than an American one, I prefer to use the word 'boot'.

10. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah that brings a tear to my eye. He said boot everyone! That's my boy!

11. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was just looking through some videos on youtube. Check this 6 year old out!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXMaTNoWWM&feature=related"]YouTube - Madin Mohammed - Fenomeno[/ame]

appleCORR

12. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow hes better than me, and im like 4 times his age haha
    someone sign him now lol

13. kaitster

kaitster New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So I went to the AC Milan/Club America match last night. It was pretty sweet, as it was my first professional match (save USWNT vs Canada a few summers ago). It was sick, and I convinced my mom to buy me the new AC Milan home shirt, somehow.

Few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a good time, but I'm not a big follower of Mexican or Italian soccer, so I think I would have a way way way better time at an EPL/Spanish match. It was still sweet, though!

14. Skizz

Skizz Guest

So yeah, I play rugby now.

15. Skizz

Skizz Guest

It only took what, four posts? Hah

16. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's a quick learner!

17. Skizz

Skizz Guest

18. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a great day....
    list of events
    • get test back from a summer session which almost assures me of an A in the class
    • read that lance armstrong wants andy schleck to be on his team (two of my fav riders)
    • going on a night ride in 30 mins.
    • Armstrong calls out Alberto Contador for being a twat.
    • was told by a lady who doesn't like soccer that "even though their is a keeper, still have the chance to score"

and last but not least:
    • Cesc scores a goal.

19. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to call them shoes with funny little things hanging out of them.. on the bottom.

21. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

i dont think that andy leaving team saxobank would benefit him. unless radio shack were to some how get frank to follow him... the schlecks are saxobank's best bet to win the gc in the tour de france... and i honestly think it would put armstrong in the same postion that he was in this year with more than one person on the team capable of winning the gc. i am very intrigued to see who armstrong recruits to team radio shack...

as far as armstrong calling contador a twat, i believe it... i forgot what stage contador attacked armstrong and kloden, but it didn't make sense from a team stand point.... it made sense for contador, but i dont think contador was ever a team player...

22. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Sad times about Sir Bobby :(

23. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah definitely. Ipswich legend he was.

24. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    the season is right around the corner... i finally get to watch some epl games since they will broadcast on espn...

which also means summer is winding down... did any have any sweet stories they would like to share...

25. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    *Cleats apps in the face*

Well you play soccer, and you aren't even a man....

:p

Yup, I'm BAAAACK. "Matters more urgent caused my absence"....where to start!

People bemoaning relationships lost, sad times on here! As ever, it sounds like you guys are all way more sucessful than me anyways, but hey....

Adebayor scored for ManC - odds on badge kissing?!?!

England played an almost acceptable team, but shocking selections in key positions and a horrendously naive tactic from goal kicks cost us....

Single Skizz's midlife crisis has dictated a switch to the darkside of egg-chasing. I strongly urge you to go give Football (gridiron) a go - the Exiles and a host of other teams round your ends are decent, and egg-chasing really is pooh in comparison - unless of course you've seen the light and joined a tut'league team....

Original thread questions:
    1. Without ex's, what would I moan about? I'd prefer the missus (if only) to have her life made easier, that way you'd be gravy PLUS she'd always have that jealousy as some psycho hot-chick sniffing around you-going to keep her acting right!

2. Having had an arm in plaster for 6 weeks and a leg braced for 3 months, the issues I had without the leg were far worse, I think. With one hand menial tasks like siping your arse, getting dressed etc are well annoying, but without both legs getting about was a nightmare - resulting in public transport and an extra hour and a half on my working day just in "commuting". Of the 2, I'd lose the arm.

3. For years I've avoided making the foolish mistakes that lead to horrendous partners, as nothing seems worse than being trapped with a wrong'un, BUT there becomes a time in singledom where you think "sure, Kerry Katona is frightful, but still....."

Soccer season starts tomorrow-got me some matching Puma cleats to go with my teams uniforms (I can see apps brandishing the card as I type this!). Gonna be real sweet-have been climbing up the walls since "philosophical differences" saw my retirement from my Football team....

Shocking to see that people are STILL quoting the previous post's pics on here.....SIGH

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!!