Wmls

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by soccerbs, Jan 12, 2011.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and this link is.... Latin???

http://www.wmls.us/index-1.html

Select the "WMLS News" link at the BOTTOM of the home page; leads to this. Does this mean that I found religion?

2. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Mrad there is not even a question that this model is amateur and very low end in talent. We all know where the best players are playing. We all know that many are under contract and are committed. Many if not all foreign players brought into this league will be second tier.

But to be fair maybe that's not their goal..Maybe their goal is to fill a nitch for college summer development.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ...and this link is.... Latin???

I for one think all soccer stories should be written in classical Latin. ;)

4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wearing cricket kits! Gotta be safer. I like that.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what are they going to do with the bats? That worries me.

6. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It will be interesting to see if this model makes a difference and provides opportunities for players/teams who have been previously precluded from participating.

"There are many people who believe that whether you are a youth player or a professional club, you must pay to participate. From elite youth clubs to the ODP program to league participation, everybody must pay. That, unfortunately, eliminates many quality individuals and organizations from participation."

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting concept - I'm glad to see pro/rel finally experimented with in the US, but with only eleven(?) teams in the entire structure at the moment we'll see how effective it is. And the complete lack of financial commitment worries me. If they can build a strong pair of leagues from the Midwest core and then slowly grow out, though, it'd definitely be a step forward.
    And the website needs SERIOUS help.

Now, with a fourth league active, I'm really wanting there to be a true US Women's Open Cup.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WMLS is not recognized by the USSF, so they won't be in the US Open cup this year (I hear one does exist), maybe next year, if they can make it.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know a cup exists, (I just re-found the thread on it here,) but to my understanding it's not "open" to anyone besides W-League teams.

Also, is it really still WMLS, or just WLS now?

10. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The open cup is open to all teams not just w-league. Just like the mens.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was my understanding (perhaps I am wrong) that W-league teams boy-cut the Open cup because they do not want to play against WPSL teams, due to the bad blood between the 2 leagues.

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-allcuphist.html#wopen

Was there even a competition in 2009 or 2010?

12. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The Womens Open Cup was never a big Tournament. Only a handful of teams every played in it. You are right that W-League teams do not support the tournament and have never played. Some teams and coaches winning the tournament over blow it and make it into this big time WIN! Haha well its not! I t would be nice to have a Open cup that was supported by all the top programs but it has not happened yet.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah yeah, my bad; I got the two leagues confused... >.> <.<

Anyway, re: league stability:
    I just realized that the league was supposed to have eight teams in the 'elite' division this year, and only seems to have six. Not a good start.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: WLS

Named changed to WLS

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So.... I just randomly checked the site today, and saw all the standings updated. But what I don't get is how The points exactly worked out...
    It looks like Cincy got a draw *somewhere* to get that fourth point, but no other teams have drawn?
    Also, in Division 2, it seems there were only fifteen games played, but nineteen wins overall? What?
    If someone could sort this out for me, that'd be great, as I'm trying to update the Wiki pages.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a little hard to understand how five out of six teams can win more games than they lose.

Also, "Loren ipsum" is a nonsense word used to fill text when you just want to show what a typeface looks like. I'd be astonished if there were an actual goalkeeper with that name. (And the other goalkeeper names seem similarly dubious, as if they're fillers rather than actual data.)

18. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With FC Indiana playing in the WPSL I had assumed the WLS never happened. If you google the names of the top scorers the only ones who seem to exist is the 1 FC Indiana player. I think all the filled in bits might have been a test of the website before the season was to start.

19. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Not quite nonsense. If you type "Loren ipsum" into Google translate as Latin it comes up with "Loren itself". If you type in "ipsum" by itself it translates as "very".

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did some more research: it's not actually nonsense Latin as I initially thought but legitimate text (except "Loren" should actually be "Lorem"). But still it's words used as placeholders before there's any actual text.

21. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    I know there were a handful of games played. FCI and Fort Wayne played a couple times. Both also played Chicago a couple of times. Not sure any of the other teams actually existed or completed any games.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Really? Geez, I feel silly now... Though still confused, as for a long time it did seem like they were updating games, if rarely.

But yeah, compare:
    All "names" from the GK lists....

23. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Wmls (WLS 2012)

The Womens League Soccer site has been updated. The Elite division (hey... WPSL stole the name!) is down to five teams, and the second divison is wiped off the planet. The Teams page also only lists five teams. Also, what appears to be a complete 20-game schedule is listed. http://www.womensleaguesoccer.com/

About the old question of their former second division. Here were the standings from their site:

WLS Division 2
    Pos.; Pld; W; Pts; Team;
    1; 6; 6; 18; Evansville
    2; 6; 4; 12; Michigan City
    3; 6; 4; 12; Kalamazoo
    4; 6; 4; 12; Lansing
    5; 6; 1; 3; Westfield

...as far as I could figure out, each team was scheduled to play eight matches, not six; this would have been 20 matches... 19 were played, with one abandoned. That is my best guess on this.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they god rid of D2 for 2013.

They are now the WLS

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't be confusing in the Midwest at all....

[​IMG]