With much sadness... RIP Ventur514

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Apr 20, 2014.

1. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't check here much anymore but figured I may as well since it's probably the first place I interacted with Shertz before I met him at the first few events I went to in '09. Still shocked and devastated.

Here's funeral and wake info.

http://www.sonsofben.com/blog/2014/4/our-brother-eric-shertz

2. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric was a wonderful person who I can't remember once being angry or disappointed as he walked past me while leaving the stadium after another head scratching loss or tie. He will be missed by us all.

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to pop in and convey my thoughts and condolences to all. I didn't know him well, but just in passing for professional reasons. Once he saw the DC United license plates on my car and introduced himself. This was before the Union played a game. Over the last several years we would take a minute when we crossed paths to discuss our teams, maybe a few times a year. I'll miss this. Great people make a big impact in small ways. So sorry for your loss Sons of Ben.

buzzkiller23, jess370, Doop and 7 others repped this.
  4. Danny138

Danny138 New Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As it's previously been stated he truly was one of the most welcoming people. When they opened up the stadium for the World Cup, I went to check out my seats and was flying solo since no one could make it. He walked over and said hello and invited me to join everyone else instead of sitting by myself all alone. He always had a hello and a kind word when I would run into him since then. We definitely lost a great guy in 138

5. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 Doop, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    The first tailgate I went to (2011 HKH) I met Eric since he was setting up the tailgate cornhole league. A great guy always welcoming new people making them feel at home, easy to talk with whether it was Union or otherwise. He'll be greatly missed. R.I.P.

Also seeing the outpouring of support from the US soccer community is simply amazing. Between the various supporters groups across the country, current and former players, media, team, the league, and US Soccer support it makes me proud to love this sport. During the match we may take sides, but outside the whistles we're all as one.

CyphaPSU and Dills repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 Dills, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Was just looking at his BigSoccer profile, reminiscing over some of his wittiness and banter, and saw that his most recent activity was this past Saturday night around 10:30. That really gives me the sads ...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/members/ventur514.121802/

Some of Eric's greatest hits:
    And his first post - ever - on BigSoccer:
    And on top of that, today is his birthday?!

dafuq ...

[​IMG]

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...hiladelphia-union-supporter-sons-ben-original

Coonpath, Doop, buzzkiller23 and 7 others repped this.
  7. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    RIP my friend. Today we mourn you, tomorrow we will celebrate your life.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  8. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today was a beautiful send off. His two brothers and Eugene Rupinski spoke. Very moving. About 150 SoBs showed up. Everyone had scarves. When Eric was taken from the funeral home to the hearse, we raised our scarves and sang four leaf clover at half speed. The family was very very appreciative. It was a very emotional thing to be a part of.

Rest in peace, brother.

buzzkiller23, etsjay, BuddhaWake and 9 others repped this.
  9. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    RIP Eric...

I never had the privilege to meet him, so I didn't know him personally, but hearing about the kind of guy he was and the impact he had on Philly soccer and the SOB I have to show my respect for him. I'm new to the SOB, and this is my first season really going to games and getting into following the Union seriously. Hearing about how he was always friendly and welcoming to new guys like me tells me what kind of guy he was. Like he said, this is a family and I'm proud to be one of the next generation, and am more than willing to show my thankfulness and condolences to him during at 20:10 of today's game.

Doop, aztec21bas and EmeraldDawn repped this.
  10. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I thought I was fine, the moment of silence and the dc Tifo beat me up, I looked down and saw the new sherry Tifo under me, and I was broken.

I got my shit together and thought I was ok and then the minute of silence and DC followed suit and I was useless for the next 20 minutes and had to walk away.

Will never to the same without you Eric.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  11. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC Supporters were absolute class today with the moment of silence, sign, and joining us in chanting his name after. Much respect for those guys.

RIP Shertz

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    May we never again have to come together for sad occasions like that.

RIP Eric

ImNumberTen, buzzkiller23, TOTC and 5 others repped this.
  13. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might go back to being rivals, but the love and respect shown to us by the DC supporters will always be appreciated and never be forgotten.

TOTC and etsjay repped this.