Welcome, Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by BalanceUT, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have to say although it may not be true, the latest Pochettino story is one I'm growing to favour. I'm surprised how he did at Southampton, thought it was a massive risk to replace him with Atkins when they had turned a corner. There are definite similarities to Rodgers/Martinez, young manager playing progressive football and with a growing rep (rather than a declining one like AVB).

SPUR-ious repped this.
  2. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Perhaps he could help Lamela along too.

3. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the way Southampton is playing - I dunno what it would take to get Spurs playing like that, but I believe if Southampton had a bit better defense they'd be challenging for top 4

4. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess Sherwood is out in the summer, but I don't understand why he wouldn't just become the number 2. He has great knowledge of the club and would be able to help the new manager sort out things quickly and I've heard Van Gaal likes to develop youth.

The best thing for Tim is to take the number 2 spot learn from an experienced manager such as Van Gaal if he comes in and then hopefully take the reins after he leaves. That would be the most ideal situation. Tim could be good as I think he gets it and at this club he would be able to help us be self sufficient by allowing the youth to come through. Harry Kane, Bentaleb, and now my wonderkid Milos have all played. He is an asset and I hope he doesn't leave the club completely.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sherwood is arrogant but not smart enough to compensate. Really the sensible choice for anyone in his position would have been focussing on just trying to do a competent job and be prepared to assist Van Gaal and learn from him next season, then would have been well placed to take over again on a more permanent basis. Assisting Van Gaal hardly worked out badly for Mourinho. Instead he seems to think he should just be a number 1 automatically, if not here then elsewhere. Crazy given his inexperience, let alone whether he's even competent enough.

6. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho worked under Van Gaal?

7. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At Barca

8. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then you'd think Sherwood would see that and say I could really a lot in three years from a man that has been there done that if Van Gaal does come to Spurs. I really think it could be the best thing for Sherwood. I get it he wants to be his own man and make his own mark, but I think he has pretty decent skills as a coach and I would feel disappointed if he didn't take an opportunity to learn from a great.

9. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  10. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who is going to want to work with Levy though considering he sacks managers left right and center

11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Someone who wants to be one of the highest paid managers in the EPL, if not the world?

phoenixhazard and dashiel repped this.
  12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Precisely. There’s not many who couldn’t suffer a fool for 6-18 months for a seven figure signing bonus, a guaranteed seven figure annual salary and seven figure golden parachute.

13. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BalanceUT repped this.
  14. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    From what I've read, Van Gaal will want complete control (at his age and given his credentials, that seems reasonable). Is Levy really going to allow that?

15. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    He has won at least a league title with every club he has managed, even with AZ(a club probably of Spurs stature in the Dutch league). Bad things, he is an authoritarian and will need 2-3 years for his project to succeed.

TFC Ajax repped this.
  16. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    And that begs the question: Will Levy allow that?

17. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I think he will. Levy is a smart guy, he will know he is dealing with a different kind of manager in LvG.

18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the rumors are that Van Gaal has talked to Man U.

19. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    He will have bigger problems co-existing with SAF and Jack Charlton. They will probably go for Martinez, someone who won't have too much influence in the boardroom.

20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    How can a Premiere League player misjudge the bounce of a ball so consistently?

21. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they will stick with Moyes, they aren't stupid

I really can't stand all this shit about Moyes, United fans became delusional under Fergie. Does ANYONE realize that NOT A SINGLE United manager has ever won silverware in their first season???? EVEN FERGIE!

22. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers' season at Liverpool is going to get Moyes at least one more season. The Liverpool success shows that you have to give a new manager time to put his system and players into place.

Hopefully Spurs next Manager will have a legitimate chance / time frame to do this also. The key is getting the right person who can teach his system and get players that complement it.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to like the way the team responded to being down three goals yesterday. I do think they respond well to Sherwood and I'd like to see him get a chance to bring in some of his own players for next season...

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Being happy with the way a manager can inspire his team AFTER they've gone down THREE GOALS is to accept a position in the mid table. The fact is they went down three goals. That should not be happening if he's that good. Get your players ready by the beginning of the game, not by the time they're down three goals. He's also shown that he's tactically inept. If he gets a chance to bring in 'his' players, we'll have a squad full of players with no skill to speak of, but hey at least they can run hard for 90 minutes and fight for the badge. We might not have any chance of making the CL from the very first game, but at least they'll try hard! No thanks, I'd rather watch a team that can compete and play good football than a team that can try really hard.

25. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I'm ok with this. Stability is something we need in the most desperate way.

phoenixhazard repped this.