William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there is no way we get this guy. He loves Mexico.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would we need him? Nobody is displacing Howard or Guzan over the next 4 years. And after 2018 WC we should (hopefully) have quite a few replacements starting across Europe.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard might retire from the national team after this summer

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Or he might develop "Keller Syndrome" and won't retire until he's long past it. But at the moment he's still clear no.1 Guzan hasn't had a Monster of a season as last year when he gave him a run for his money.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Guzan's been just as good. He just hasn't been as busy because they are better defensively this year, so it might look like he's been worse. He had more to do last season, but he's been as consistent this season as last season.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've watched Johnson many times and Yarbrough a few times. I think Johnson is a better keeper. Yarbrough might be better than the other young options like Hamid, MacMath and Irwin. I don't think he would be good enough to play a significant role with the USMNT next cycle though unless he really improves. Someone younger will emerge as another option, and he's not as good as Guzan or Johnson for next cycle. Howard might also decide that he doesn't want to retire from international soccer.

My 2018 depth chart would look like this right now. Yarbrough would be in between 2 and 3.

1. Guzan-Clear #1
    2. Johnson-Clear #2
    3. Cropper-Gets the advantage over the MLS options because he's already caught Klinsmann's eye
    3. MacMath- Best of the other MLS options. Was the worst starter in MLS not too long ago. Has turned it around
    4. Irwin- Has come out of nowhere. Promising, but lets see him sustain some success before bumping him up
    5. Hamid- Has lost ground in the past few years. He was better than SJ a few years ago, but has not improved

Dark Horses: Steffen, Horvath, Silva

If Howard is still with the National Team in 2018, he'll be on the World Cup team assuming we qualify. If he's still good, it will be as the #2. If he's not that good anymore, it will be as a #3 who can add experience and step in if needed in an emergency.

7. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be 39 by the time Russia rolls around so obviously it's very likely that Guzan will take over that spot at some point next cycle, however I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howard starts in the Gold Cup next summer. I don't think he'll retire until Jurgen takes that spot away from him

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Funny I see this now. William didn't have a good game in Mexico tonight. He flubbed on the second goal tonight vs. Bolivar and had a bad 1 touch to a midfielder when Bolivar had a forward charge at him, that a defender had to foul the forward who was going to cut in and shoot on essentially an open net if the defender didn't red card tackle him to stop it from happening.

He didn't have a great game....but he has potential. Consistentcy still an issue for me.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #184 Suyuntuy, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Mexican fans keep poking fun at him, "and this guy was supposed to be NT material? SMH" and Leon fans in their Univision forums always comment on needing a better keeper for next season.

Promise or not, right now he's not highly rated in Mexico. Matter of fact, he seems to be universally viewed as one of Leon's weakest spots, and is not unlikely he'll be on the bench next season.

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Univision forums? haha might as well talk about what those cave dwellers at goal.com think of him.

If Matosas stays, William will continue to be the starting GK. It's unlikely that Jesus Martinez Jr will spend money on a GK when the team has clear holes in attack. The likely departure of Carlos Pena will mean they will look to strengthen the midfield and defense before they would even consider another GK.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    BSMX also doesn't seem to rate him. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks he's "seleccion" material at all.

Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's a good GK, but last night was not the right match to judge him. Put him around a stronger defense, and his abilities will shine stronger.
    He did have a SHIT night last night though. As did all of Leon's defense. THey're a strong team...but their defense were rattled with Bolivia's counters and the pressure to win the game got to them--they played desperate and it showed with their lack of composure int he back when they attacked.
    I felt for that team. A lot of money...and their headss are all screwed right now with what's going on in the league with them, and now this tie which was very close to a loss...will only make things worse....

Good for Bolivar and myself though! Not soo good for William though...

13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, Yarbrough has never represented Mexico at any level (A callup but did not play). So, he could play for the US for a friendly without a one-time switch?

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If Wiki is to be believed, he's only been called in for the u23 in 2012 but didn't play...so yes.

I think he's very 'raw' right now, but with more time in this league he will get better.

I still think his foot skills are amazing for a keeper. This defender chipped/pounded it at him and he first time volleyed/fell over doing it to a CM first touch off the cuff because it was a screw up on the defender.

He's a 'modern' GK as the mexican announcers were saying because of his foot skills.

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely is one of those players (Like Arriola and Garza) that the US should probably cap after the World Cup as soon as possible, to give him a shakedown, and let him know that he is on the US radar. He wants to play for Mexico, but aside from Guzan, our backup goalkeepers behind him for the 2018 cycle seem to be in a flux, losing Howard and Rimando means we have two of three spots in contention. I can envision, first FIFA date after the World Cup, having him and Cody Cropper share halves if he wants to come out to play for us.

My big question (which I have been asking about since the beginning of this thread) is his ancestry--If he's of Irish-American or Scottish ancestry, he may have better luck playing for Ireland or Scotland. Yarbrough has a lot of promise but in both the US and Mexican systems, he is not currently in serious contention for a starting role in the 2018 cycle, just a backup.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes, but not long ago I would've also said that about Seitz. I'm not putting any bets on Hamid, but 4 years is a long time.

soccersubjectively and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think I have to reevaluate things clearly. :D

18. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yep, he is clearly a merc, looking out for himself. Once he got wind of likelyhood of not being called up to Mexico, he switched to 2nd preference

Majin and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  19. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, it's likely the case but if he plays well I don't really care

20. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conversley, perhaps Yarbrough has been on a mission since birth. We sent him there to learn the trade, and to learn the Mexican league from the inside. Now, he is preparing to return a national hero, assuring us years of dominance over our southern rivals. When he steps from the plane in Denmark, he will scream, "Viva los Estados Unidos".

21. Orlandinho

Orlandinho Member+

Apr 30, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    And then under his breath, while covering his mouth he'll whisper "de mexico" lol jk. I wish him luck with you guys (except when/if he plays against us) he seems like a really cool dude. I'm sure he'll take full advantage of this opportunity and leave everything on the pitch for the team if given the chance.

Elreynoaguila, Mglnbea and Sebsasour repped this.
  22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #198 Marko72, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    I've seen him a few times with Leon on TV, but I can't say I'm all that familiar with him. First impressions: good shot-stopper, good with his feet, mediocre command of the box, a little mistake-prone.

I feel like this is probably a bit of a snub of Steve Clark, though he's a bit older (28) and Yarbrough is "young" (turning 26).

So the question for the group is how would most of you rank the following group of roughly similarly-aged guys: Yarbrough, Hamid, Johnson, Shuttleworth, Deric, Bendik, Irwin? (Shuttleworth is the oldest of that bunch at age 27. Hamid the youngest.)

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1. Johnson
    2. Hamid
    T3: Irwin
    T3: Yarbrough
    5: Deric
    6: Bendik
    7. Shuttleworth

24. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy looks better with his feet than Guzan, Hamid or Howard.