William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, there were the keepers named to their recent CONCACAF U23 championships team and Olympic team for starters (Which Yarbrough wasn't selected for). Those were Jose Antonio Rodriguez of Chivas, Carlos Felipe Rodriguez of Morelia, Hugo Gonzalez Duran of America, and Liborio Sanchez of Queretaro. I believe that at the actual Olympics they used one of their "overage" roster slots to bring in Corona.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe any of them are regular starters for their clubs yet. Usually when a GK isn't getting professional games by that age, its a telling sign.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liborio will get a shot at Chivas, he has started in D2 and lower table D1 teams (Queretaro I think) and the Chivas starting GK will not be back with the team, so I guess it is an open competition for the starting spot.

But I am not 100% what is going on with Chivas Mexico; they are almost as dysfunctional as Chivas USA.

4. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas is MORE Dysfunction that Chivas USA LMAO
    Aguilas.jpg

5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Rodriguez has been the starter at Chivas since last season. A quick google search would yield results.

ehhh what? Michel had already lost his spot to Rodriguez.

Rodriguez was favored by the coaching staff since last season. It's part of the reason Michel wasn't being brought back.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So Impressive! How could I not know that?

7. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Well you commented on the topic like you were actually informed.

Wessoman and soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think I claimed to be an expert. I said I don't believe that........

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bill wants to play for us, he can. If Bill wants to play for Mexico, let him. This is a situation where I am indifferent on wherever the hell he decides to end up.

Wessoman repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ... or so you would hope ... his real son Kasper Peter Schmeichel is doing pretty well I would say ..

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Playing tonight vs. Club Bolivar in Mexico for the first game of 2 in the final 16 of the Copa Libertadores.

He's a good GK--with a Mexican flair which is fun to watch.

This kid has potential.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    By Mexican flair you mean the overly dramatic routine stops? haha

Always been a fan of the more pragmatic approach of American and European keepers.

13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican flair? That's a new one. o_O

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #164 m vann, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    I've seen Yarbrough a handful of times and I like him. He's young, made his move up the ranks, and seems hungry to prove himself. But how good is he?? That's the question. I have yet to really put my finger on his positives or negatives, though. Will loves those big, dramatic saves and last ditch dives but can he be consistent enough making the routine save?? Personally speaking, I would love to see Clint Irwin, who I see every single week, get a run out before Yarbrough. I think Irwin's upside is a little better. Of course, I am totally bias but that's beside the point -- :D

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The kid is pretty good with his feet.

I remember in the first leg vs. Bolivar he did a cheeky fake clear where William Ferrira fell for it hard when he charged at him to block/intercept the clear--instead Yarbrough cut it to his left making Willy loook like a fool.

That was pretty cheeky and fun to watch. I like his style--but then again I tend to like more 'creative' skillful players in all roles on the field. :p

It's a great point. I am not really sure.

I think he has decent potential, but at this point consistency is his biggest issue. He's had some great saves though in the limited stuff I've seen in the Libertadores.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No harm in calling him up.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like my keepers just to keep the ball ou of the net. Any additional responsibility is to help coach or be an extra set of eyes and ears from the back.

In other words, I bet Messi would suck as a gk.

18. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are you for or against him getting called up?

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I don't know...

[​IMG]

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know enough about him to be honest.

From what I do know, he prefers Mexico. Also, I have a tendency to rate MLS keepers higher than Mexican league keepers. Third, I sincerely doubt he is on the same level as Howard and Guzan.

That said, I'm always for casting a wide net. I wouldn't object for a call up to camp and see what he has to offer...

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he is not better than Howard or Guzan but the guy is an '89, in good form and playing at a decent level.

I really hope Klinsmann is scouting him because we don't have young keepers who are ready to play at the international level yet.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The reality is that while the No. 2 spot for the 2018 cycle is currently wide open, there's going to be a lot of competition.

We know No. 1 is Brad Guzan (33 in 2018).

Today, Sean Johnson (29 at the 2018 WC) has the inside track for No. 2 but a lot can, likely will happen over the next four years to change that.

On Johnson's heels is Bill Hamid (28), who runs hot-and-cold but is very good when hot, and then a list of GKs that includes Clint Irwin (29), Tally Hall (33), Steve Clark (32), Chris Seitz (31), William Yarbrough (29), Cody Cropper (25), Zac MacMath (26 - seriously, we forget how young this dude is), Luis Robles (34) and maybe Zack Steffen (23), though I suspect he'll be too young, plus probably a few GKs who are currently toiling in anonymity who will likely emerge during the cycle.

Yarbrough might be the best of the non-Guzan bunch. He might also be 4th or 5th. But it's wide open for him and all the other GKs. Opportunities are there to be taken advantage of, diems are there to be carpied.

But there are certainly vacancies to fill and it's going to be a fascinating process to watch unfold.

raza_rebel, Bolivianfuego and Scotty repped this.
  23. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can be Two...Guzan has the spot for the next 4 years!

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid no thanks.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We need at least 1 of those to be playing in Europe over the next few years.