will Wondo be rewarded with DP status he so richly deserves?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Jan 5, 2013.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Grammar certainly changes and this may be an instance where it has; it may now be acceptable to use an apostrophe, but if it is, it is a modern convention.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/apostrophe
    emphasis not mine

It’s not that he couldn’t play for LA it was legally impossible for Robbie to have been on the Galaxy’s payroll prior to receipt of his visa. He was not an LA player until 17 August, period.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    What do you mean by "modern", the last 50-100 years? Chicago Manual of Style, NY Times, etc. use apostrophes for plural abbreviations when the abbreviations include periods. Oxford was slammin' in the 1800s though. I'll give you that.

People educated in LA are not very intelligent, as indicated by the low scores on their S.A.T.'s. (correct)

People education in LA are not very intelligent, as indicated by the low scores on their SAT's. (incorrect)

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://english.stackexchange.com/qu...nyms-letters-numbers-use-an-apostrophe-or-not

Being something of a grammar nerd (this is not the first time I've investigated this topic) my recollection is that there are proponents of both options. However, the recent barrage of misapplied apostrophes has traumatized me to the point that I now avoid them unless absolutely necessary. Similarly, I've dispensed with hyphens and periods and any other punctuation that clutters the message.

The thing is, with so many people communicating via smartphone -- with punctuation marks on a separate screen from letters -- it's become a complete hassle to use anything other than a comma or period. I think the punctuation rules that were instilled in most of us will look very old school before too long. What were we talking about anyway? Oh yeah, LA's successful subversion of the rules. Some things don't change.

DotMPP and dashiel repped this.
  4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Yes, I was going to mention that, but didn’t want to digress too far. As we were talking about the specific use of DPs vs DP’s I thought it sufficient. Of course I could be a real dick and point out you’re not using an apostrophe (’) but a prime (') in its stead ;)

5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, you were quoting sources that say:

"...remember that an apostrophe should never be used to form the plural of ordinary nouns, names, abbreviations, or numerical dates."

I was responding to that. Turns out that you apparently don't agree with that statement either.

Nope, it's not a "prime"; it just happens to look like one. It's an ASCII apostrophe. We're not doing typography here. This is an internet soccer forum.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    payroll shmayroll.

let's assume this happened way before the transfer deadline. say keane signed pre-contract papers or whatever you call it on august 1, but wouldn't get his visa until august 3rd. If he up and signed another pre-contract with say Sporting KC on august 2, then LA would be able to block that transfer with the paperwork they had signed with him. they control him.

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Some of us have standards :) At least you don’t double space after a period.

8. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

You can’t claim LA was violating league rules and subsequently dismiss them when they prove your point false. LA having come to terms with Tottenham on August 15 controlled Robbie Keane’s rights, if anyone wanted to sign Robbie in the interim they would have had to negotiate with LA.

Fact: An MLS player is not “activated” and added to the roster until they are officially employed
    Fact: Foreign nationals are not allowed to work for American companies without a visa*
    Fact: Robbie Keane did not receive his visa until August 17

Ergo if Robbie Keane did not his receive visa until August 17 he could not legally be employed by LA. If he could not be legally be employed then he could not be added to the roster. If he could not be added to the roster then he couldn’t count against DP count.

Again mate, there are plenty of instances that can be construed as LA getting preferential treatment this just ain’t one of ‘em. Moan about Chivas being our dumping ground; start a conspiracy that MLS never released the exact time Chivas agreed to take JPA and when Robbie was officially added to the roster – LA had 4 DPs for 37 minutes!!!

But please don’t change, I get so much joy from the lunatic fringe here. The theories are more entertaining than a JJ Abrams series.

Adieu

* or green card

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just flat incorrect. He had to be signed by the end of the transfer window, otherwise he could not have been on your team at all. The issue of the visa clearance is a different kettle of fish. So he didn't get his work visa until the 17th, and could not have played for you before then, but he absolutely had to have been on your roster on the 15th.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You mean double-space? :--)

TyffaneeSue and dashiel repped this.
  11. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

Ah, this may be where the miscommunication is happening. We’re talking about two different things - FIFA Regulations and Federal Law. FIFA doesn’t care about work permits or visas(1), in their eyes Robbie Keane may very well have been officially added to the Galaxy roster. Federal doesn’t care about FIFA Regulations and supersedes them. Until Robbie received his visa he was not legally an employee of MLS and MLS could not officially add him to the Galaxy’s roster.

This is of course all rather moot, it is MLS who give final approval on all player moves and adds them to a team’s roster and MLS didn’t officially add Robbie to the Galaxy roster until the 17th – the earliest such date they were legally allowed to.
    1. http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff...1/95/83/85/regulationsstatusandtransfer_e.pdf (Read Article III Section 18.4 of FIFA’s Regulations of the Status and Transfer of Players)

12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Chris Wodolowski's 59 goals for the San Jose Earthquakes from 2010 to 2012 are the best-ever three-year total in MLS history.

falvo repped this.
  13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're preaching to the choir here.;)

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I know but I recently bought 2013 and 2014 season tickets and want my team to do the right thing here, and you never know who might be lurking on these boards.

16. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Excellent -- Let's just hope he doesn't do the ol' Barry Zito and disappear for several years!

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this guy is gonna break the MLS goals scored record with us :) will be a legend

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since the leagues inception, Wondo has done more (on the pitch) than ANYONE!

Thomas Ravelli, Jorge Campos, Roberto Donadoni, Lothar, Hristo, and yes even Beckham & Keane in my opinion! The only one who may get more credit is maybe LAndy but for the money spent on him, Wondo is still the best. For what he has done, in comparison to the others, $600k is still too low of a salary for him.

Quakes05 repped this.